Metabolism Kick Starters

Options
124»

Replies

• acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    increasing your lean body mass; pretty much everything else is bro-science.

^
    Start lifting heavy things.

Listen to this, and only this. Every other thing I've read in this thread is a myth from a Cosmo magazine.

THIS

this is what is backed up by actual evidence. Listen to these people.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I throw my vote in with the following in this order:
    1) talk to Doctor, yeah it sucks because they make you get on the evil weight adding scale but gotta do it!
    2) Eat breakfast, even if its just a little something. You've been fasting all night, your body needs a kick. And then you can....
    3) Go lift =) lean muscle is good for you. I know that muscle burns more than fat so that should keep things going.

But really talk to a doctor and maybe a nutritionist. They are paid to do what they do and most of us here on MPF are not paid to do what they do. :heart:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    1) talk to Doctor, yeah it sucks because they make you get on the evil weight adding scale but gotta do it!
    2) Eat breakfast, even if its just a little something. You've been fasting all night, your body needs a kick. And then you can....
    3) Go lift =) lean muscle is good for you. I know that muscle burns more than fat so that should keep things going.

But really talk to a doctor and maybe a nutritionist. They are paid to do what they do and most of us here on MPF are not paid to do what they do. :heart:
    Do 1 and 3. 2 is bs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Help....My metabolism seems to have shifted into low/no gear. I'm almost 49 so I know some of the issue is hormonal but come on man!

What are some ways to fire up my metabolism? I'm eager to try your suggestions!
    Higher intensity exercising. Works every time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    First lift heavy.

Then eat the ghost peppers.

Might have problems if you do it in the other order.

Just sayin'

^^^I can vouch for this...

Doing this in the opposite order would be interesting though. Do a video and post it to youtube, post the link here :tongue: :tongue:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Eat small, frequent meals

Drink iced water

Boost metabolism temporarily with aerobic exercise.

Boost metabolism in the long run with weight training

http://www.wikihow.com/Increase-Your-Metabolism

get more sleep

Go fish. EPA and DHA, the omega-3 fatty acids found only in fish oil

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/increase-your-metabolism-start-losing-fat

Make sure you eat breakfast.

Eat the majority of your food earlier in the day.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/dietweightloss/a/12ways.htm

anyone can add me
    Frequent meals and breakfast are very debatable and research doesn't support the claims of them being metabolism kickstarters.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Wow, aggressive. I'm simply saying that when it comes to nutrition, it's much like religion. Everyone thinks their way is right, and everyone has their own evidence to suggest they are right, but doesn't mean they are! It's great you've found the way that works best for you, but if I were asking the question, I'd want a few suggestions to look into.
    Well it's really not like religion because science can actually study human physiology and religion is basically faith. When evidence is presented that's consistent, then it's kinda hard to deny.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Missyb322
    Missyb322 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I actually started the IF 8/16 diet to try. I eat in the 8hr window and fast for 16. What have you heard in regards to fat burning and metabolism with this diet?
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Your metabolic rate is yours you can't change it. You can only maximize it by gaining more mass, this would cause your daily amount of required base cals to go up do to more weight and actual mass. Also adding in muscle mass doesn't increase your metabolic rate as much as once believed the current amount is actually a lot lower than what was once thought true.

Or you can drink lemon water and see how that helps LMAO
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I will search the forum but in case I don't find much (which I doubt) what kind of fasting is suggested? Juice fast (well it'd be smoothies since I don't have a juicer) or just plain old water for 24 hours?

Jen
    Fasting means no food and juice is food (since it contains proteins and carbs). Basically it's just water or say coffee that one consumes during fasting.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

2. Is wrong. So you believe that as soon as you fall asleep all the food you've eaten is magically excreted through your pores? A large serving of protein (big steak) can take up to 24 hours to fully digest, also your body has glycogen stores.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    no such thing as a slow or fast metabolism...weight training and eating and having fun doing it!!
    People with hormonal issues can have slower metabolisms regardless of how perfect they may do in exercise and eating.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Doing more stuff and eating more carbs, lifting things, then eating protein.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Resistance training and high intensity interval training (HIIT) are about the only things that will work. Good luck on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • MissStick
    MissStick Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks!! This is a really useful conversation. I am due for a physical in about a month. I'll be having my thyroid checked again then. I was in hospital at the start of the year and thyroid function was "in the normal range" then.

I think I need to get myself measured. I've been lifting weights pretty seriously for 5 weeks. Is it true that muscle weighs more than fat?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! This is a really useful conversation. I am due for a physical in about a month. I'll be having my thyroid checked again then. I was in hospital at the start of the year and thyroid function was "in the normal range" then.

I think I need to get myself measured. I've been lifting weights pretty seriously for 5 weeks. Is it true that muscle weighs more than fat?

Muscle does not weigh more than fat per se - it is denser and so a lb of muscle takes up less space than a lb of fat - by quite a bit.
  • davidbenny551
    Options
    Try something like chaoji tea to help you loose weight