Spinach ?

Options
2»

Replies

• jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I eat ~ 2 lbs. of spinach per week. I have a salad everyday that is raw baby spinach, tomatoes, and avocado. For breakfast at least twice a week I make scrambled eggs with spinach and asparagus. I put it on sandwiches. I will make George Forman grilled sandwiches with a boca chikn patty, spinach, and artichoke. I put it in spaghetti marinara. If you don't care for the taste - this is the way to go. I also add it to lasagna and ravioli. I get wonton wraps and chop up spinach, tofu, and mushrooms - wrap them up and boil them. As far as smoothies go - the flavor is easily masked. I buy a juice that is spinach, carrot, apple, and banana. I don't have a juicer, but if you do have one, this seems pretty reasonable to make.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Sauteed in bacon grease. Obvi.
  • carolachristensen
    Options
    I go thru a big bag in less than a week. Spinach is great with cut up strawberries and red onion. I eat it without dressing. Spinach also makes a good salad with bacon and hard boiled egg.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Sauteed in bacon grease. Obvi.

Damn, I knew I was forgetting something!
  • suezensays
    suezensays Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches, soups, omelets, steamed, sauteed...I could eat it every day.

My favorite way is to roll spinach and pepper-jack cheese in a flattened chicken breast, then bake at 400 degrees for about 25 - 30 minutes.
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I love spinach salads, make egg white/spinach/pepper muffins, add it to smoothies.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I really like it lightly sauteed in olive oil and garlic. Wait, that's how I like everything:laugh:
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    We go through tons of spinach in our household. I usually mix in my morning smoothie, using 2-3 handfuls since you can't taste it. I toss it with arugula and/or romaine for salads.. saute it with garlic & other veggies (like onion, shredded carrots and peppers) for a pizza topping. Saute with a little mozz cheese and stuff inside of meat or chicken. Or mixed in with eggs.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I LOVE love love spinach. I eat it every single day. I buy the bags of fresh organic baby spinach from Trader Joe's and I just stir-fry it for a few minutes so it doesn't wilt too much. I eat it with chicken, steak, pork chops, etc. Anything really.
  • Jeffrey_S
    Jeffrey_S Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    2 cups of spinach
    2 bananas
    1 mango
    1 apple
    2 stalks celery

Add water as needed (2-4 cups, typically) and blend until creamy...makes an absolutely delicious smoothie that can be a meal substitute. I make this a few times a week, often as a lunch at work.

You'll need a pretty powerful blender to get the desired consistency. I have a VitaMix, but other brands of high end blenders should work just as well.
  • kevinindelaware
    kevinindelaware Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I go through a couple bags a week usually. Egg whites, with spinach and veggies. Juice it with whatever you have in the fridge. Salad. On top of pizza, and I make the crust out of cauliflower, instead of flower... You can eat it 3 or more times a day without getting sick of it.
  • abadmum
    abadmum Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love spinach.. not the horrible frozen stuff but fresh. In salads with rocket is fab with a nice steak..

I also throw it into stews, curries, stirfries anything really right at the end of cooking.. if i can get it in there I will.. more often than not it doesnt even need to add any time to the cooking as the residual heat from whatever i have cooked will cook it..
  • hottotrot
    hottotrot Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas :)
    Well time to see what I can come up with !!in a smoothie it scares my but I'm gonna Try it ;)