Is fast food really so bad for you?

Options

Replies

• weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    We can't shut it down because it provides funding...............

And it's bad because it has no NUTRIENTS. Fast food is not real food, which leaves you hungry, and wanting MORE MORE MORE.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Money.

It's never going to be shut down.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Let's see... by this logic... Cigarettes must be pretty good for you too. I mean, they wouldn't let the companies sell it if it was **so** bad right? Come on, man. This is America. We thrive on *kitten* that's bad for us.... that's why we're fat. I use *we* losely because I don't eat fast food or smoke.. but you know.

I just posted something about this on Facebook. Do you even look at the nutritional facts?

For the new Chick-Fil-A Grilled Market Salad (as they serve it with the nuts, granola and vinagrette): 550 Calories, 34g Fat, 5g Saturated Fat, 0g Trans Fat, 70mg Cholesterol, 1175mg Sodium, 40g Carbohydrates, 6g Fiber, 27g Sugar; 28g Protein. Now, personally... in my diary that is HALF of my daily sodium and ALL of my daily sugar. IN A SALAD.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Congrats OP! Your first posted topic and I'm feeling this is a good one for a least 8-9 pages. :laugh:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    No food is inherently bad or good. Eat it. You can achieve your goals with it.

I believe the man who showed me the ways of Pop Tart ice cream sammiches.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Yeah it probally is but why do we tend to think it is the worst thing in the world if it was so bad then why don't we shut it down ever ask that question, but we still should not eat too much of it but alittle should be good because at least we are getting in our daily protein and calories. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

what?!

lmao... my thoughts exactly.... think I need another cup of coffee to decipher this information...

umm I think I need the Rosetta stone to translate this...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I think it depends quite a bit on the particular foods themselves. As some others have pointed out, one plus about the larger fast food chains is the easy access to nutritional information online.

For example, consider Wendy's: I could enjoy a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger Deluxe with 7g saturated fat and 350 calories -- and that's including mayo, which they'll gladly omit if you request it. A much worse choice would be a Baconator with 23g saturated fat and 970 calories -- that's too much for a single meal on most reasonable diets. Instead of fries as a side, a small chilli without cheese added is only 180 calories with a nice 4g of fiber. At McDonald's, I can get a classic grilled chicken sandwich, no mayo, with only 1g saturated fat and 300 calories with 3g of fiber.

Unfortunately, as with most processed and/or prepared foods, sodium levels are quite high with fast food, so it's best not to eat it very regularly, even if you can fit the calories and fat into your program.

How dare you hate on my uncle...the baconator...true story there...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Congrats OP! Your first posted topic and I'm feeling this is a good one for a least 8-9 pages. :laugh:

im in for the show!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Do you really want to put this in your body?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/05/mcdonalds-happy-meal-photos-6-months_n_761364.html#s155972

Eat for your health, not just the number on the scale.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The nasty part of fast food is what they put in it.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Look up the nutritional facts about Subway. It might surprise you to learn that what they market as "healthy", really isn't. HOWEVER, you are right that it's healthier than other places.

I have my students doing a fast food restaurant research project where they are comparing all these things. It's been eye opening for MANY of them, and they're in 6th grade.

I think that teaching young people the importance of balanced nutrition is a good thing, however I would argue that the best way to do this is to teach them about calorie balance, nutrient sufficiency, and moderation.

My problem with classification of foods as 'good' and 'bad' is that I don't really think it works. Even clean foods can be consumed to excess. Look at something like Atkin's, if you go out and eat 10 burgers, hold the buns, that's still a problem.

At the risk of this getting into an argument about something that's wholly unrelated, I see a lot of similarities between the vilification of certain foods and abstinence-based sex education.
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Let's see... by this logic... Cigarettes must be pretty good for you too. I mean, they wouldn't let the companies sell it if it was **so** bad right? Come on, man. This is America. We thrive on *kitten* that's bad for us.... that's why we're fat. I use *we* losely because I don't eat fast food or smoke.. but you know.

I just posted something about this on Facebook. Do you even look at the nutritional facts?

For the new Chick-Fil-A Grilled Market Salad (as they serve it with the nuts, granola and vinagrette): 550 Calories, 34g Fat, 5g Saturated Fat, 0g Trans Fat, 70mg Cholesterol, 1175mg Sodium, 40g Carbohydrates, 6g Fiber, 27g Sugar; 28g Protein. Now, personally... in my diary that is HALF of my daily sodium and ALL of my daily sugar. IN A SALAD.

Looks pretty good. A little less than 1/5 of my daily calories, almost halfway to my daily fat minimum, I could go for more protein but that's not too bad for a salad, and I don't track sodium so give zero ****s about that.
  • just_fur_luck
    Options
    Look up the nutritional facts about Subway. It might surprise you to learn that what they market as "healthy", really isn't. HOWEVER, you are right that it's healthier than other places.

I have my students doing a fast food restaurant research project where they are comparing all these things. It's been eye opening for MANY of them, and they're in 6th grade.

I think that teaching young people the importance of balanced nutrition is a good thing, however I would argue that the best way to do this is to teach them about calorie balance, nutrient sufficiency, and moderation.

My problem with classification of foods as 'good' and 'bad' is that I don't really think it works. Even clean foods can be consumed to excess. Look at something like Atkin's, if you go out and eat 10 burgers, hold the buns, that's still a problem.

At the risk of this getting into an argument about something that's wholly unrelated, I see a lot of similarities between the vilification of certain foods and abstinence-based sex education.

Werd
  • Samanthaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Samanthaaaaaaaaaaaa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's not good at all. Just 1 item at a fast food joint can have a full days worth of calories. It all depends what you order I suppose, but even the so called healthy stuff at fast food places probably really ain't healthy at all.

Most people think just because it fits into your calorie day that its ok. Well that's not true because look at the other stuff involved. It's not just calories, it's the fat, sugars & sodium. It's all sky high.

I would suggest if you have to eat fast food, stick with subway, but even subway is high in sodium.

Again, if you want fast food, I guess as long as you have control and use moderation, you will be ok. But every day, no good!

Besides you never really know if the online nutrition facts on fast food is correct. One day it might be 1000 calories for your sandwich then tomorrow it be 1500 calories. Different people, different cooks & not all always follow the serving amount.

Best to just make your own food. In my opinion.

And I use to eat fast food all the time. But I didn't have good control over my eating habits. Now that I'm trying harder, I don't eat fast food at all. I sure miss it, but it's not the healthiest choice for anyone, skinny or large.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your Macros (watch that sodium!) and wont mean starving yourself for the rest of the day..I'd say go for it :wink:
    I eat fast food about once a week...High in fat and sodium though so that means oatmeal and smoothies for dinner lol
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Yeah it probally is but why do we tend to think it is the worst thing in the world if it was so bad then why don't we shut it down ever ask that question, but we still should not eat too much of it but alittle should be good because at least we are getting in our daily protein and calories. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Other than the added sugar, excessive salt, bad fats and preservatives, no. If you don't mind all of that, it's one way of tying on the feed bag, I suppose. :ohwell:
  • just_fur_luck
    Options
    It's not good at all. Just 1 item at a fast food joint can have a full days worth of calories. It all depends what you order I suppose, but even the so called healthy stuff at fast food places probably really ain't healthy at all.

Most people think just because it fits into your calorie day that its ok. Well that's not true because look at the other stuff involved. It's not just calories, it's the fat, sugars & sodium. It's all sky high.

I would suggest if you have to eat fast food, stick with subway, but even subway is high in sodium.

Again, if you want fast food, I guess as long as you have control and use moderation, you will be ok. But every day, no good!

Besides you never really know if the online nutrition facts on fast food is correct. One day it might be 1000 calories for your sandwich then tomorrow it be 1500 calories. Different people, different cooks & not all always follow the serving amount.

Best to just make your own food. In my opinion.

And I use to eat fast food all the time. But I didn't have good control over my eating habits. Now that I'm trying harder, I don't eat fast food at all. I sure miss it, but it's not the healthiest choice for anyone, skinny or large.

Unless you have a medical issue that requires you to watch your sodium and sugar the amounts in fast food are irrelevant.

Most fast food joints are very big on portion control. Their costs are based on uniformity of servings so unless you're buddies with the guy making your burger you aren't likely to get anything extra. Fast food places aren't big on promoting chef creativity.

I won't argue your statement that it's better to make your own food because I think it is - and not just for the nutritional control, but like I said before, when you're really wanting a Doritos Taco Loco nothing else will do.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    In the context of an otherwise nutrient sufficient diet, yes it is.

I'd be willing to bet that for the vast majority of people, calorie 'estimations' for home-cooked meals are more inaccurate than those provided by fast food companies. That's because portion control for meals saves them money.
    This is the best argument against fast food. The vast majority of people have a lot of difficulty exercising control with their meals, and if avoiding the food altogether is the only recourse, then of course do that. It's definitely not a necessity.

Eat enough food to satisfy your nutrient requirements, if you have calories leftover spend them on whatever you wish.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Wut...??
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Do you really want to put this in your body?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/05/mcdonalds-happy-meal-photos-6-months_n_761364.html#s155972

Eat for your health, not just the number on the scale.

You know that was a hoax right?