Is fast food really so bad for you?

Options

Replies

• CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I can't see a "Sarcastic" button on this post. If it's there, then I'd like to know why you feel this way. If you're being honest, then thanks for the compliment. I've been accused of "thinking and teaching outside the box for a Catholic school" on numerous occasions, which is why the parents are constantly complimenting me for the way I teach their kids.

haha

You should see how I handle the reproductive system. Now that's a real barn burner of a lesson!

:laugh:

PS: LOVE the profile pic.
    you know how I handle the reproductive system...F It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bahahahahahahaha

I kinda like you.

it won't last for long....

I'm all about focu---- OOOH, PRETTY BUTTERFLY! -- wait, no, what, where was I?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I cover it ALL, so don't worry your pretty little head over what I do and do not teach in my classroom. And I promise I won't tell you how to do your job, either.

:wink:

I work in finance. LOTS of people try to tell me how to do my job.

I was trying to be polite.

It's a legit question. What is wrong with a 1,000 calorie meal?

It injects too many toxins into your system..dughh!
  • amandadawson24
    amandadawson24 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

No to sidetrack the thread, but you can actually bring bars, produce, and food through airport security. :bigsmile: Also, I bring an empty water bottle to fill up inside.

I did not know that. I will have to bring an empty water bottle next time. There was one time when I had fresh produce from my mother-in-law's garden, and I ended up getting stopped by security. They didn't make me throw it away, but it was annoying. Thanks for the tip!
  • ndj1979
    Options

No to sidetrack the thread, but you can actually bring bars, produce, and food through airport security. :bigsmile: Also, I bring an empty water bottle to fill up inside.

I did not know that. I will have to bring an empty water bottle next time. There was one time when I had fresh produce from my mother-in-law's garden, and I ended up getting stopped by security. They didn't make me throw it away, but it was annoying. Thanks for the tip!

they always stop me because they think I have a gun in my pants...I am like dude that is my junk not a Glock!
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Just because something is legal (not shut down) doesn't mean it isn't terrible. Cigarettes are sold to the masses and generally known to cause serious health problems.

That said, I don't know anyone who thinks fast food is super terrible, lol. I guess I need to find some health buffs, hmm...
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    yes thats why millions of americanss are obese
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Not all fast food is created equal. You can eat something at Subway (I don't know why you would want to) for under 700 calories. Or you can go to Chipolte or Qdoba and get a bean burrito like for 600 calories. Or you can get a veggie burger at Burger King for under 217 calories so make that 2 plus cheese if you like for just a little over 600 calories. Then there is Au bon Pan, I get the black bean sandwich for about 700 calories. I am sure I missed a whole lot of not so bad fast food options. The point is check out the menu figure out what you can have that isn't horrible or if you are lucky might even be healthy.
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's that bad for you. Look into the nutrition facts of it and you'll see that. WAY too high in sodium and fat. Really bad for you.

And it's so popular because it sells for really cheap and a lot of people who can't afford to buy groceries to make dinners at home can get fast food. And also because, well, it's fast and easy.

But yeah I mean, it's not too bad every once in a while. Just don't go eating it every day. The main reason I'm overweight now is because when I was in elementary school, my mom worked late shifts and my dad was in charge of getting us dinner after school and he always got us fast food cause he doesn't cook.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for chemicals and hard to pronounce words and sugar and clean and stuff...

ETA: ...and fat and sodium and toxins and more stuff...
  • StephMcw
    StephMcw Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    is that even a question??
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    In...

IN for noms.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    In...

IN for noms.

I have already been in, but consider me back in!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Yeah it probally is but why do we tend to think it is the worst thing in the world if it was so bad then why don't we shut it down ever ask that question, but we still should not eat too much of it but alittle should be good because at least we are getting in our daily protein and calories. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Punctuation.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    600760_10151637533467848_1943280045_n.jpg

Getting this tomorrow. (it's only 2.5lbs apparently)

lol-OP-u-so-mad.jpg
  • ndj1979
    Options
    600760_10151637533467848_1943280045_n.jpg

Getting this tomorrow. (it's only 2.5lbs apparently)

lol-OP-u-so-mad.jpg

is that what you look like after the burrito challenge???
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's that bad for you. Look into the nutrition facts of it and you'll see that. WAY too high in sodium and fat. Really bad for you.

If I take a food and put a lot of salt and butter on it, it does not magically become "bad for me".
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I suppose the simple answer is " what are you here for ?" as most members here have a weight loss goal and fast food has all the wrong content to aid in wieght loss

Sure we all partake now and then - I last had a burger from a fast food joint at christmas 2012 although it was not one of the plastic joints, like the ones with the arches. just look at the sugar content in their food and then ask the question.

I take the kids in once or twice a month and let them eat what they want and then watch them go hyper.......additives but they get a kick and they are not old enough to go partying so I suppose its ok (NOT)

personaly - give it a miss your arteries will thank you for it by allowing you a nice life free of things like heart disease angina etc etc

( sorry to rant, its over now )

Ill probably get flamed but hey c'est la vie!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

is that what you look like after the burrito challenge???

I think I will just die...being fast food and all :laugh:
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    There is fast food and then there is fast food.
    Are we talking Big Mac at McD's or Elevation Burger grass fed beef?
    I don't think you can say "it's all bad" just like you cannot say all people are bad.
  • ladybug114
    ladybug114 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think the main issue with fast food (aside from the extra chemicals, unhealthy fats, etc) is that when you're filling up on Big Macs, you're not filling up on fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean proteins. Calories and fats themselves are not bad for us. It's the type of calories and fats we're putting in our bodies that is. So if you're trying to stay within your calorie ranges while eating fast food burgers, chicken sandwiches, fries, soft drinks, etc, you aren't getting all the foods that are so important in maintaining healthy organs.

These places exist because they are BIG moneymakers. In America, we're fed ingredients in our fast foods and prepackaged products that are banned in other countries. Google it (or check out this article: http://www.shape.com/blogs/shape-your-life/13-banned-foods-still-allowed-us). The UK has much stricter food laws that we have in America. In fact, they have the exact same foods (same type, same brands) but without the banned chemicals that are allowed in American foods. [end quote]

This!!