How much cardio vs. strength training do I need?

Options
I do strength training and cardio 5 days a week. About 45 mins on weights and 30-45 mins cardio (Elliptical, bike, zumba etc)

I've hit a standstill with my weight. Some of which I'm sure is diet. I'm working to correct that, but I can't help but wonder if something is wrong with my routine as well. I'm only looking to drop another 10-15 pounds.

Any advice?

I have my goal calories set at 1500. I'm 5'5" and about 145lbs if that helps at all.

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    That's hard to say. What does your weight routine look like? Have you done a deload or back off week yet? Deload is when you reduce the weight and sets. It's an active recovery week. If you have a good training program then a deload week may help.
  • mrscapamerica
    Options
    Hm, I haven't heard about that. Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.
  • CJT_EST81
    CJT_EST81 Posts: 5
    Options
    The best advice I can give is to not mix cardio and strength workouts together. It will just confuse your body, The best route is alternate days of each.
  • baneboy
    baneboy Posts: 65
    Options
    I hear muscle weighs more than fat as well so just because the scales don't move! doesn't mean you not losing fat! great job with weight training and keep it up! ur routine sounds fine! maybe try a high protein intake, feed those muscle's
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Really, weight training will fire up your metabolism and it can have a cardio effect if you do intervals. Sometimes I have found that letting up on my routine (if I have been doing a LOT of working out,) gets me out of the plateau.

Maybe you could try some HIIT on days you are not weight training. I love HIIT and it shakes things up!
  • JohnnyCashMoney
    Options
    I do strength training and cardio 5 days a week. About 45 mins on weights and 30-45 mins cardio (Elliptical, bike, zumba etc)

I've hit a standstill with my weight. Some of which I'm sure is diet. I'm working to correct that, but I can't help but wonder if something is wrong with my routine as well. I'm only looking to drop another 10-15 pounds.

Any advice?

I have my goal calories set at 1500. I'm 5'5" and about 145lbs if that helps at all.

Check your email.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Are you really giving it your all during your workouts or just going through the motions? Are you trying to push harder/go faster or longer each time? It really made a difference for me, especially in terms of changing my body shape.

If you think part of the problem is your diet, it's probably 99% of the problem. In order for me to see steady progress when I was losing, my diet would have to be really tight most days. I think your calorie goal is good, so keep striving to make your food diary look amazing. Of course you need a treat every now and then to remind yourself that you're human, but results = work and effort. Also, take it slow and steady! It will feel like it takes forever for that last 10-15lbs, but that's okay. You're doing it right. Good luck!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Lift all the weights. All of them.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Approx. 1.42.