Plateau - anybody increase calorie intake and have success?

Options
chbruns
chbruns Posts: 16 Member
I'm keeping my calories at about 1200/day and not really eating back my exercise calories. I've hit a killer plateau and have lost a pound, gained it , lost it, and gained it again.

I know 1200/day is low and people have suggested increasing my intake but I have an irrational fear that increasing to 1400 or 1500 per day is going to make me gain even more weight.

Has anybody had any luck increasing calorie intake to break through a plateau? Can you share your experience?

Replies

• mk9562
    mk9562 Posts: 186
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and I have been gradually increasing. Trying to get 20% less my TDEE. I know it can take a few weeks to work. I'm on week two. Waiting patiently.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds on VLCD (1200 calories) in the beginning of this journey. Then I hit a plateau for 5 months. I upped to my TDEE-20% (1700 calories) and immediately began to lose again. In the process of upping them again due to a new plateau...
  • HealthyLeeLee
    HealthyLeeLee Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing. I've been eating the MFP recommended 1220 calories per day but have not lost weight, I've been gaining (which I am pretty sure is due to increased strength training). I recently looked up my TDEE-20% which is about 1600 calories per day. I've been doing 1600 for about a week and a half, bracing myself and hoping I don't gain. My clothes are currently feeling "snug"--hoping it's just by body adjusting... :/
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Yebb, I increased my calories in Januar to 2000-2200 pr day. Gained a bit in Jan/Feb but in March it started going down again.

Go check this out for help in how to calculate and set MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP back in March, I did 1200 calories for about a month and dropped 5lbs, increased the calories in April to 1400 and dropped 1lb. I just increased them to 1700 yesterday but will be doing a gradual increase to hit that goal. I've been stuck at the same number for exactly a month, so I'm going to give it a shot. All the research I've done on this topic says this is what works!

I've also been weight training, I know I've lost inches and muscle tone has definitely improved. Hopefully increasing the calories will be the last piece to the puzzle to drop these last 5lbs..
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I initially lost weight at 1200 calories - then it just stopped so I upped to 1400 and lose much better at that intake. I almost never eat back workout calories
  • cindyjoesousa
    cindyjoesousa Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I lost 85 pounds and hit a 2 month plateau..I increased my calories by 125 calories/day and do not eat back my exercise calories now..I lost a little over a pound last week in doing so..this is only my second week so we shall see..
  • claramfboo
    Options
    I need help well I've started a new account but I eat 1200 calories a day and I workout 6 days a week and I burn 450 calories after a workout and I've lost weight by eating 1200 calories I've been eating that amount for like 2 months now but they say I need to be eating around 1600 calories because supposedly I need to eat back the calories I burn but I'm scared of gaining that weight back and I still need 20 pounds to reach my goal of 115 pounds o yeah my height is 5'1 I currently weight 130 but overall what should I do !!!!
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I lost around 40lb after I started my diet and then hit a killer plateau which has lasted almost 6 months. I started using MFP to track how much I was eating and discovered my daily average was only 1200 cal (I had thought it would be higher) - as I haven't been hungry (I've been following a lower carb diet with more emphasis on good fats and quality protein) . I increased to about 1500 cal/day (keeping my carbs around 50g/day) and the very next week I was down 2lb (that was last week). This week I am also down 2lb so far but my weekly weigh in isn't until tomorrow so it may end up being more (or less - my birthday was this week and chocolate roulade was involved LOL).
  • Xhellokitty5588x
    Xhellokitty5588x Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Best move I ever made was getting off the 1200 calorie train, calculating my BMR and TDEE and eating according to the info in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

I have been steadily losing fat/inches/weight for over a year without a single plateau, reaching goal weight, dropping sizes, sailing through the holidays and vacations without gaining it back.

Do not be afraid of properly fueling your body! Will you gain a little if you up your cals? Probably, especially since you've been netting less than 1200 by not eating back exercise cals. :noway: Will it be fat gain? Permanent? Worth freaking out over? Absolutely not. You have to stick with any adjustment for a good 4-6 weeks to allow the body time to adjust to the new intake.

Find your numbers, set you goals, eat your calories, exercise, sleep. Take photos and measurements as well - don't rely solely on the scale, because it's a dirty little liar and will mess with your head. Example - I went six months without losing anything on the scale - plateau? Nope - during this time I lost many inches, lots of fat, and dropped a full pants size. I laughed at my silly scale and went out and bought new jeans. :bigsmile:
  • sydneyplainjane
    sydneyplainjane Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    For some reason, whenever I've reached a plateau in the past, eating something "bad" usually gets me out of it. Movie theater popcorn, for instance (skipping the butter). I'm not sure if it's due to something in the popcorn....or the fact that I just added 500 more calories for the day! And, it's funny because the only reason I would be at the theater and be eating the popcorn was because I was so depressed over not losing any weight that I decided to forget dieting for a day. But eating something like that, or a chocolate bar every now and then, does wonders for me. So, I guess extra calories do help sometimes!
  • HealthierFoodie
    HealthierFoodie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was doing 1500 a day and had plateaued for months- I upped to 1650 a day and eat back about half of my exercise calories and have started losing again.

It works for some people, but not all. Play around with it until you find what works for you and BE PATIENT. Nothing works overnight.
  • dejamos
    dejamos Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had been eating at a deficit for well over a year (with a setting to lose a pound a week, netting 1200 and eating back my exercise calories) and recently hit a plateau. I was going out of town over the Labor Day weekend and decided to eat at maintenance during that time as I had just read through this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

I ate at maintenance for the four days I was in Austin. When I weighed myself the day after I returned, I had lost 3 pounds. It's only been a week later, but I've lost just under another pound since then as well.

So yes, it worked for me.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    This topic was just posted - if you need more encouragement, go read it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1097444-finially-dropping?page=1#posts-16929405

:bigsmile:
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I plateaued about ten pounds from my goal weight. Upped my calories from 1240 to about 1500 per day. After a couple weeks the weight was dropping again.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    If ur not losing u need to decrease cal intake, increase cardio, or add weight training. My suggestion, if ur not lifting, lift. If u r, more cardio. I wouldnt drop cals lower than about 1100. Im at 1100 now. Crossfit 5 days, 20-30 min cardio 4 days heavy lift 3 days b4 crossfit. Syill losing 1-2 per week.
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was doing the exact thing you were doing and realized I was netting between 700 and 1000 calories a day and going up and down the same pound so I totally feel your frustrations! This week I began eating more. I was fearful of adding more calories but ready for the temporary gain on the scale but it actually hasn't been as bad as I thought. I'm only up like a pound which I realize will level off once my body aclimates. The formula I was given was Figure out your TDEE choosing the sedentary option. Then follow this formula. (non-exercise TDEE + exercise) - 15% = eating goal. This is because I use an HRM and want to log my calories specifically. Otherwise you can figure your TDEE and minus the 15 or 20% to come up with your calories for the day and not add in the addition exercise calories. I am already finding that I have more energy to power through my workouts.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Haven't hit the plateau yet but that is my goal. to increase it slightly and see what happens.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I did (sorta). I increased my calories this week and lost a pound and a half. I had MFP set for me to lose 2 lbs and upped the calories to 1 lb per week. I'd only lost 0.5 lbs with the 2 lb deficit, but I lost 1.5 lbs with the 1 lb deficit. Who knew?:glasses: