cardio helps u lose weight
    weights is strengthening and dont help u lose weight but tones

Where do you get your material?
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    this is a suboptimal routine

1) no strength training
    2) mostly isolation exercises
    3) not enough volume. Each muscle group only once per week. should be 2-3 times per week.

Do you have any suggestions on specific workout routines?
    There are a lot of routines you can choose from. I would choose one and stick with it for at least 3mths, 6mths would be better. This will give your body time to adapt. Don't jump from routine to routine every 4-8 weeks. I admit I use to do this. A few suggestions are:
    -strong lifts-a lot of people get good results with this. I personally never tried it.
    -Reg Park's 5x5
    -Steve Reeves workout (You may need to reduce the sets and or exercises)
    -20 rep squat routine.
    -German Volume training
    -push/pull/legs
    -upper/lower
    These are just a few to give you an idea.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    bumping for a later read
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Have you considered something like Mass Made Simple? It's designed specifically for packing on some beef in 6 weeks. It's available as an e-book, I think.

When you've finished with it, you can worry about shredding off any fat by incorporating some cardio or eating a bit less.....

He also has a "lite" version for free on his blog, but I think that's slightly less hardcore and maybe pitched for the older/master trainee? Here's a link:

http://danjohn.net/2012/01/mass-made-simple-lite/

I think if you're trying to add mass, then you should make that your goal. Shredding off fat is a separate goal. Each is probably best pursued on their own for maximum effectiveness. Now, you may be uncomfortable with the amount of "gut" you're putting on and you can adjust your surplus for a more modest gain. This will lead to less fat deposited, but also slower muscle gain. You have to pitch it where you're comfortable.

It's really all about a) what you stick in your gob and b) being on a non-retarded routine

Everything else is details.

Good luck!
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    have you looked at lean gains? some good info over there.