easy Quinoa recipes (minimal ingredients)

Options
GettinIT6
GettinIT6 Posts: 44
I am hoping to get some new quinoa recipes. I am looking for quick and easy recipes that don't require a lot of ingredients:) THANKS

Replies

• briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have been making a chicken veggie pilaf here lately that is super yummy

1/2 cup of dry quinoa
    1 cup of reduced sodium reduced fat chicken stock
    1 cup of frozen mixed veggies (the 1 I use has green beans, carrots, corn, and peas in it)
    chicken breast

Add the quinoa, chicken stock, and frozen veggies in a saucepan. I also add galic and pepper to this. Bring to boil, cover and simmer about 10-15 minutes or unitl quinoa is cooked. Add chicken breast if you like to make a more rounded meal or just eat just the pilaf. Super easy and very filling. I am actually having it for lunch today but with no chicken just the pilaf.
  • AlleganyMiss
    Options
    I would love some recipes too. I bought a bag the other day and have not figured much to do with it yet.
  • jc1stuff
    jc1stuff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I won't add a recipe as have seen so many "out there" ; but I just make a couple of cups and store in fridge; then I find I can add it to just about everything...chili, soups, salad (yes, yummy even cold). Or just add veggies / feta cheese...so versatile.
  • HeatherBittner
    HeatherBittner Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My breakfast lately: 1/4 cup cooked quinoa, 1 scrambled egg and 1 tablespoon of chunky salsa. Soo good and pretty filling too. My friend does the same thing except she uses an egg white scrambled, adds a sausage link and uses 2 tablespoons of salsa.
  • GettinIT6
    Options

1/2 cup of dry quinoa
    1 cup of frozen mixed veggies (the 1 I use has green beans, carrots, corn, and peas in it)
    chicken breast

Add the quinoa, chicken stock, and frozen veggies in a saucepan. I also add galic and pepper to this. Bring to boil, cover and simmer about 10-15 minutes or unitl quinoa is cooked. Add chicken breast if you like to make a more rounded meal or just eat just the pilaf. Super easy and very filling. I am actually having it for lunch today but with no chicken just the pilaf.

could I use chicken broth instead of chicken stock?:)
  • GettinIT6
    Options
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I just use it like I would rice.. I cook it in veggie stock and use it as a base of stir-frys, a filler inside stuffed peppers, or just as a bed to veggies with a side of protein!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Here's a quinoa veggie plate recipe I put on sparkrecipes.com:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2376410

It's not a lot of work and it is so yummy!
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is shockingly good with cubes of roasted butternut squash (I roast the squash with a teaspoon or 2 of vegetable oil --it's one of the few times I use vegetable oil rather than olive oil because I like a more neutral oil on squash). You can also toast and season chickpeas and add that to the quinoa and squash if you want some protein or additional flavor.
  • calaz84
    calaz84 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I don't really feel like cooking I'll just cook the quinoa and add chick peas and avocado and hot sauce simple and filling!!
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I just either roast or saute some veggies that I have onhand, and then mix it into quinoa that has been cooked in either chicken or beef broth. I'll top with a little olive oil and either some feta or some parmesan cheese
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like it in a salad best. I guess there are as many ingredients as you choose to add, but it's super easy.

cooked quinoa, cooked or canned beans, chopped veggies, vinaigrette - toss and eat.

beans - I use white beans if using red or black quinoa, and use brown, black or red beans if using white quinoa because it's prettier.

chopped veggies - whatever I have in the fridge. I try to go for a variety of colors, again becuase it's pretty.

vinaigrette - I make my own using whatever strikes my fancy at the moment, but a bottled dressing would work just fine.
  • steph0924
    steph0924 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    I love quinoa because it literally goes with anything. Simple and easy: spaghetti sauce and some seasoning of your choice with some chicken or steak. A little more time consuming: one can of tomatoes, 2-3 cups of spinach, a cup of mushrooms, and salsa all simmered for 15 minutes or so. Add 2 tbsp of sherry cooking wine. Simmer 5 more minutes. Cook quinoa separately then mix all together. Top with feta cheese and serve along side chicken, steak, whatever...or stuff in green peppers and bake for 30 minutes. Delish!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    could I use chicken broth instead of chicken stock?:)

Yes, just watch the salt. Usually broth is more boiled down and saltier.

I made some last night. I ran some baby carrots and broccoli in the food processor on pulse a few times to chop them up fairly small and then sauteed that with garlic and butter (could use olive oil) for a few minutes. Added chicken stock, quinoa and cooked until the liquid was absorbed and stirred in shredded cheese. I paired it with some tuna salad for a filling lunch (ate them separately though).
  • jables85
    jables85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This Crunchy Cashew Thai Quinoa Salad with Ginger Peanut Dressing {vegan & gluten-free} is one of my favorites - and super easy to make. You can eat it warm or make a large batch, store it in the fridge, and grab it for a quick meal throughout the week!

http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2013/04/crunchy-cashew-thai-quinoa-salad-with-ginger-peanut-dressing/
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I cook with this a lot lately. I tend to boil it in chicken stock as it gives it more flavour straight off. I like to mix spring onion (scallion) into it with coriander (cilantro?) and red chilli :bigsmile:
  • StrongerJess
    StrongerJess Posts: 185 Member
    Options

1/2 cup of dry quinoa
    chicken breast

This sounds way yummy. I am going to cook it tonight. Thanks!
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love this one: http://sweetpea.ch/2009/09/25/avocado-goats-cheese-quinoa-salad-recipe/

and you could easily replace the avocado for something else if you want to make it more low cal. I made it with cherry tomatoes and green asparagus tips the other day. The only thing that needs cooking is the quinoa, and you maybe need to toast the pine tree nuts.