Foods for Lunch

Options
So I'm only eating a sandwhich at lunch, which I make myself, and I'm starving right now. I have one packet of oatmeal for breakfast and then wait until about noon to eat my lunch...and I don't eat dinner until close to six o'clock when I get home and that's only one of those banquet meals. I know it's nto good to go below your calorie intake, but I'm on a serious budget...like a thirty dollars for food for the next four weeks kind of budget, like a don't spend your money on stupid stuff or you're going to starve by the end of the week, that kind of budget. I was thinking of picking up yogurt to eat inbetween breakfast and lunch to hold me over just that much longer but I can't figure out what to do between lunch and dinner. I don't want anything big, and I can't afford fruit no matter how good for me it would be because it wouldn't last as long as I would need it to and I don't have the money to be running out to get more if I run out. I just need something quick and cheap to hold me over in between that isn't going to be crippling to my weight loss goals but will also help me get to the calorie intake I'm supposed to be hitting, which is super low and shouldn't be hard to hit..

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Dry beans are cheap and filling. Also, don't get the packets of oatmeal, get the big tub and make it yourself. Add in some cinnamon for flavor and maybe a tsp. of brown sugar. You can do that at breakfast and as a snack. Have a more filling breakfast, add some eggs for fat and protein. If you see meat on sale for a good price, buy it. Freeze it, it'll keep for a couple of months. You could also get one of those rotisserie chickens from the grocer deli and have that for a couple of days. Shred some chicken into some eggs for breakfast, on a sandwich or salad for lunch, then with some frozen veggies for dinner. Also, while I prefer frozen to canned, canned veggies are super cheap.
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The thing is I don't cook. I can't cook it pretty much ends in disaster every time and I eat my breakfast at work because I start work at eight thirty and have to walk there and it's just easier to eat once I get there. So eggs wouldn't really work out well for me, even though they are good :) Also what is wrong with packaged oatmeal?
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    sounds like me. if u could cook that would be awesome because i would go to work but before getting therei would stop at panera or subway for breakfast then lunch would be at 1230. so in between that time im hungry then when i go to lunch i pig out on chipotle or something greasy and fattening then when i got home which was around 6 i would pig out again. try drinking more water, try granola bars, smoothies, nuts or something in between breakfast and lunch that will hold u over. its hard but we can do it
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    Options
    I used to go out for luch every single day and now that I'm eating stuff I make myself I'm STARVING. I'll have to look into granola bars. I was thinking trail mix, but making it more myself so that there isn't any of that random sugar powder that finds it's way in there, and you dont' have to cook trail mix :) Breakfast has always been easy for me because Oatmeal is simple to make, or poptarts (because sometimes I'm allowed to be weak) and I love fruit cups, not the one with the gross watery stuff that takes like syrup left over but jsut cut up bits of fruit in a cup, only problem with tht is fruit is SO expensive!
  • suezensays
    suezensays Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cheese...it lasts quite a while, and it's filling. It has protein. You can even find it on sale...at least one brand should be on sale.

Also, if you have a bulk section...look for nuts. Healthy fats. Protein. Long shelf life. Winnings all around.

Good luck!
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    when you go shopping i would try shopping the sales. look online before you go.. I agree try some dried beans.. also canned beans are on sale alot.. look online for coupons for things. coupons.com has a crap load of coupons.. You could also check out a local food pantry.. check online. i use to live in NH and i know they have lots of local farm stands.. try and see if you can get some veggies and eggs for cheap from them..
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    Options
    I have my stop and shop card for deals and I don't shop far from home because I walk everywhere, no car means more calories burned! I know there's a local farmers market not sure when I'll be seeing it around again but I'll have to check that out.!
  • mreardon614
    mreardon614 Posts: 25
    Options
    Anything prepackaged will cost more per serving. If you buy instant oatmeal by the tub instead then you will be getting more food for your money. Try boiling eggs. That's not cooking, really. What do you eat on your sandwich? Maybe you could do cheese and crackers in the afternoon? For snacks I like a mixture of carbs and protein. I feel like that helps me feel full the longest.
  • hot2def
    hot2def Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The grocery stores that have rotisserie chicken put them on sale every evening at about 6:00pm. You can get a whole chicken for about $4.00. No cooking and high protein. Hope this helps!
  • SNAPPOW
    SNAPPOW Posts: 1
    Options
    HELLO, MY NAME IS TASHA..AN EASY WAY TO PREVENT BEING HUNGRY IN BETWEEN MEALS IS TO HAVE FRUIT KEPT CLOSE TO YOU AT ALL TIMES..WHEN YOUR OUT SHOPPING OR RUNNING ERRANDS, TAKE SOME FRUIT WITH YOU, APPLES, ORANGES, PEAR, SOMETHING EASY TO GRAB AND THAT WON'T GO BAD WHILE IN YOUR PURSE OR CAR BUT IF YOU KEEP FRUIT IN YOUR CAR, HAVE A COOLER WITH SOME ICE..PUT IT YOUR TRUCK AND COVER IT WITH A BLANKET, PUSH WAY IN THE BACK OR IN A INSULATED LUNCH PAIL. . YOU CAN ALSO CARRY SOME NUTS (UNSALTED), SOME TRAIL MIX, FLAX SEEDS, DRIED FRUIT, INDIVIDUAL SIZE OF RAISINS, SOMETHING SIMPLE THAT DOESN'T COST A LOT..BUY YOUR MEATS IN BULKS IF YOU CAN..SAVES A LOT OF MONEY. EAT FOODS HIGH IN FIBER, WILL KEEP YOU FULL UNTIL ITS TIME FOR YOUR NEXT MEAL...IM IN THE SAME SITUATION..ON A BUDGET AND CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY FOOD EVERYDAY TO COOK...ONE MORE THING COOK YOUR FOOD FOR THE WHOLE WEEK., WILL BE EASIER FOR YOU...IF YOU NEED DIFFERENT IDEAS ON WHAT TO MAKE, YOU CAN VISIT GEORGEFOREMANCOOKING.COM AND GET SOME WONDERFUL RECIPES IF YOU HAVE A FOREMAN GRILL....HOPE THIS HELP YOU OR ANYONE ELSE.....:)
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options
    I like granola bars in between meals, well as yogurt (and fruit but I know that you mentioned that it's a no go.) Also hummus with baby carrots (which are cheap and last a long time in the fridge), celery, or some pretzels. Target has a brand called Archer Farms that makes awesome all natural fruit bars- you could try those instead of fresh fruit since they would last a long time. Or you can could buy all natural applesauce. 100 calorie bags of popcorn are an idea as well. Low fat string cheese. You can freeze grapes- that way they don't go bad and they are yummy frozen.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The thing is I don't cook. I can't cook it pretty much ends in disaster every time and I eat my breakfast at work because I start work at eight thirty and have to walk there and it's just easier to eat once I get there. So eggs wouldn't really work out well for me, even though they are good :) Also what is wrong with packaged oatmeal?

You can do beans in the crock pot and eggs in the microwave. There is nothing wrong with pre-packaged oatmeal, but you said you're on a budget. You can get it fairly cheap, I know I've seen a box of Better Oats for like $1 for 5 or 6 packets, but you can get a GIANT tub for $2-3, and that will last you at least 2 weeks, so it's more budget conscious.
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    Options
    I like granola bars in between meals, well as yogurt (and fruit but I know that you mentioned that it's a no go.) Also hummus with baby carrots (which are cheap and last a long time in the fridge), celery, or some pretzels. Target has a brand called Archer Farms that makes awesome all natural fruit bars- you could try those instead of fresh fruit since they would last a long time. Or you can could buy all natural applesauce. 100 calorie bags of popcorn are an idea as well. Low fat string cheese. You can freeze grapes- that way they don't go bad and they are yummy frozen.

Wow I didn't even think of applesauce, which is weird because I love it and I'm pretty sure they sell those in bigger boxes. I'm going to take all of this stuff into consideration for sure when I get to the grocery store next. Hopefully I can spend a little more money on food next time I go shoping for the big load :)
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    apples are not expensive and they last a long time!! Plus, they are filling.
  • ladydy911
    ladydy911 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Packaged oatmeal isn't bad, getting a huge tube of oats, some cinamon and light brown sugar is just cheaper. No cooking involved. I do overnight oats.

1/2 cup oats
    a few dashes of cinamon
    1 to 2 tsp brown sugar
    1 cup water (or if you want to splurge almond milk, it last forever and doesnt take much, it's what I use)
    mix it all together in a bowl with lid the night beofre and put it in the fridge.

The next morning simply take it to work and eat it as is or cook it in the microwave for a few minutes to get it the temp you like.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    a huge container of baby spinach is a few dollars and cucumbers are usually $0.50 each.. you could make a side salad everyday for at least 2 weeks with one large container and a couple of cucumbers.

a large container of yogurt is cheaper than individual packets.. you can leave it at work. greek yogurt is more filling than regular.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    i was also dieting on a budget and i can also attest to the oatmeal tub. you can buy a tub of the quick cook oats and microwave it, i used to do that (way cheaper then the indvl packets). also you can cook eggs in the microwave - i havent done it personally but i know it can be done, a friend of mine does it all the time.

as for cheap fruits bananas are really cheap - you can get them at places like trader joes for 19cent a piece or even a bag of small apples they have in the market for $3.

another good snack is just nuts, not trail mix, unless your ok with the added dried fruits and chocolates. the nuts have the fiber and added protein that will keep you full.

yogurt is also a cheap and easy snack or meal, you can get them as cheap as .50 cents or a large yogurt for like $3 and portion out also cheaper, and mix in some granola, cereal or nuts for an added crunch. (stretches the granola/ cereal rather than eating it with milk)

also cheap are carrots, sometimes baby carrots, sometimes the large ones that you have to peel and cut, but they are a good snack along with a little salad dressing or hummus. i also like radishes, very cheap and low cal and yummy snack, but i know many people dont like them lol. or a very simple salad of just spinach greens, buy a bag sometimes around $2 and portion out some spinach which you can sautee or just eat raw with some dressing as a small app with dinner or your sammie.

So there are a lot of options just keep your eye open for the deal and work with your budget :happy:
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You said eggs wouldn't work, but have you considered hard boiling the eggs? They are extra easy even for someone who doesn't like to cook and the protein will keep you full for a long time unlike the carbs from oatmeal. Eggs are cheap and last a long time. When they are hard boiled they are easy to take for lunch and don't have to be kept cold if eaten that day.
  • leeroxboro
    leeroxboro Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I keep a jar of peanut butter at work...when I'm really hungry, I just scoop a spoonful out of the jar and pop it in my mouth....not too expensive, and it holds me over until dinner. If I let myself get too hungry, I have a sugar drop, get shaky and have been known to pass out....the peanut butter really helps with that too.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Avocados are another great, cheap, filling snack!