Foods for Lunch

Options
2»

Replies

• ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    The thing is I don't cook. I can't cook it pretty much ends in disaster every time and I eat my breakfast at work because I start work at eight thirty and have to walk there and it's just easier to eat once I get there. So eggs wouldn't really work out well for me, even though they are good :) Also what is wrong with packaged oatmeal?

You can do beans in the crock pot and eggs in the microwave. There is nothing wrong with pre-packaged oatmeal, but you said you're on a budget. You can get it fairly cheap, I know I've seen a box of Better Oats for like $1 for 5 or 6 packets, but you can get a GIANT tub for $2-3, and that will last you at least 2 weeks, so it's more budget conscious.

Agree with the beans in the crock pot. You can add lean raw meat or smoked sausage/kilbasa/hillshire farm prepared meats while it's cooking to add additional flavor and protein.

You can hard boil eggs - put eggs in pot w/cold water to cover the eggs plus an inch, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, set on med-high * bring to a boil, remove from heat, cover with lid, let sit 15 minutes, rinse with cold water, refrigerate, keeps about a week.

From what you describe, you're not getting enough protein which satisfies longer than carbs.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Great ideas above, just want to add. You say you don't cook. Well, I can sympathize. I like to eat, but hate to cook. Hell, I got a "D" in Home Economics in school when we were in the kitchen. Hated it. But I highly recommend you get yourself a basic cookbook and learn a little. You don't have to be some kind of chef either. Roast chicken, steak, homemade soups, etc are not that hard. Trust me, I know!

If I get hungry in the afternoon, I'll eat like a 1/2 chicken sandwich with hot tea-much easier if I had cooked up that chicken beforehand.

Just a suggestion.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The thing is I don't cook. I can't cook it pretty much ends in disaster every time and I eat my breakfast at work because I start work at eight thirty and have to walk there and it's just easier to eat once I get there. So eggs wouldn't really work out well for me, even though they are good :) Also what is wrong with packaged oatmeal?

Do you have a microwave at work? Crack 2 eggs into a coffee cup, mix them together with a fork. Mircowave 1-2 minutes depending upon your machine ....... start by cooking 1 minute ..... fluff with fork and cook longer if needed..

Oatmeal ..... add a spoonful of peanut butter. The fat content (healthy fat) will keep you full longer. Look for a "weight control" oatmeal .... this has more fiber & added protein (even a store brand will cost more than plain oatmeal).

Frozen veggies are fairly inexpensive..... if you have a mircrowave at work these can be cooked easily.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    Nuts
    Packets or small cans of tuna
    Protein bars (more filling than plain granola bars)
    Greek yogurt (again, protein)
    Cheese and crackers
    Add soup with your sandwich at lunch
    Guacamole and baked chips
    Hummus with pita chips or veggies
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options

Packaged oatmeal is more expensive. You can buy a big tub of plain oatmeal and add in spices. Saves you money so you can snack on something later on.
  • rnicole24
    rnicole24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I eat an 80 calorie tortilla with peanut butter (about 1 tsp) spread on it and a banana inside...like a wrap. It is 380 calories and the protein in the peanut butter really helps with getting hungry. I can also make it in 2 minutes and eat while driving to work. I am a teacher, so I cannot snack between meals.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Do you have a microwave? Potatoes are super cheap. You can buy the small ones and microwave a potato as a snack. Top with a tabelspoon of greek yogurt or something similar. And when I buy the sweet potatoes, I eat them plain, actually. I know potatoes get a bad rap because of the low-carb fad, but potatos are actually a nutritious snack, especially if you eat the skin. And you can get very creative with the toppings.

You might also check out the frozen fruit options at your grocery store or buy the clementines or navel oranges when they are available in the bag. Sometimes it's only 6 dollars for fruit that will last you a week or more.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Not a quick fix, but learn to cook. I learn new stuff from Youtube. If you don't, you'll be posting the same thing in 10 years.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You can also microwave Old Fashioned Oat Meal. I do it every day. It probably costs about 6 cents per meal. Just put 1/2 cup oatmeal and one cup water in a bowl (big bowl) and microwave for about 2 - 3 minutes (stop it before it boils over). I have been known to use oatmeal as a low-cal, filling snack, too.

As P.S. - don't give up on yourself with regard to cooking. Try tackling one item per week. Being able to cook will take you a long way!
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Also what is wrong with packaged oatmeal?

Cheaper to make your own....and less sugar. :) I think that's all she meant
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    People who are financially strapped MUST learn how to cook (or live with someone who does) if they want to eat a healthy and filling diet--even if "cooking" means to learn a few crock pot recipes, know how to operate a microwave, know how to use a measuring cup and spoons, know how to Google recipes and watch YouTube videos, and know how to roast a chicken and vegetables. You CAN cook, and must cook, in your situation--time to stop 'trying' and start 'doing' for the sake of your health.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    For a filling cheap lunch I sometimes do tinned tuna mixed with 1/2 cup canned reduced sodium garbonzo beans, 1/3 a red pepper and 1/2 a cuke. You can always have more. I usually add some cottage cheese or feta for a littlemore flavor and a little pepper or greek seasoning. The can of beans can last at least 2 if not 3 meals. :)

Cottage cheese can be affordable and mixed with veggies or even applesauce. Good luck!

And peanut butter really is a great filler as many have mentioned...