I don't want a waist line that looks like this!

Options
1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
I keep seeing pictures of women who after working out, losing fat, and building muscle, have a straight waistline with no curves at all. Is this because of the way the muscles were built, is it genetic? What causes a woman's waist to look like this? This kind of makes me think twice about trying too hard to build muscle. Not that someone like Dara Torres doesn't have a nice body, it's just the waist line looks like a pencil. Is this avoidable?

strength.jpg

Replies

• thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Genetics.
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    Part of it is certainly genetics and individual body characteristics. However, Dara Torres is an Olympic athlete. I don't think you're in any danger of looking like her without decades of consistent hard work.

That said, even she has definition in her waist--above her belly button her waist comes in and then the hips are wider.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Goodness I would love to have a midsection like hers.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Ah, it's another body shaming post.

You could have asked your questions without such a derogatory forum title, in my opinion.

And it takes a LOT of work to look like that, along with genetics. You won't get their by accident.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    << would kill for Dara's body.

It's genetics. It's also how I look - the shape I mean, I have nowhere near her abs.

And, wow. Are you serious?! Don't worry - you'll never have to worry about looking like Dara Torres. That's a woman who has been a professional competitive athlete her entire life.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You won't get there without doing a serious cut. Don't worry about it.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    IMHO, that is way unattractive.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Genetics. She's a professional athlete. You do not have to worry about looking like her.
  • Cutemisscoco
    Options
    Not how I want to look either, but you'd really have to work hard and long to come close to that amount of definition and muscle mass! I wouldn't let this detour you at all.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    It's just how her body is and how her muscles are laid in there. Doesn't mean your torso would look like that if you had the same deckedout abs. :)
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    One thing I can guarantee: If you get down to her body fat without weight training, you're just going to look like a scarecrow. That also looks like a studio shot, she was probably cutting for days before the shoot, and probably took a water pill to boot.
  • swimcoach07
    swimcoach07 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Part of it is certainly genetics and individual body characteristics. However, Dara Torres is an Olympic athlete. I don't think you're in any danger of looking like her without decades of consistent hard work.

That said, even she has definition in her waist--above her belly button her waist comes in and then the hips are wider.

^^^^
    This

Plus - with Dara Torres being a swimmer, she builds/maintains muscle all over her body and keeps her body fat % extremely low. Many elite female swimmers (though not all) have a similar shape when in peak competitive shape. Unless you'll be training 4-6 hours a day, 6 days a week, for many years in a row - I wouldn't be overly concerned.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Body shape is genetic plain and simple. It looks like she is whats called a banana or ruler shape. If you are not then don't worry about looking like that. I definitely wouldn't avoid weight training because you saw some women who didn't have the same look you want that is silly.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty straight up and down (I still have some fat to strip off, but don't see that changing my general shape). I hate it, but what am going to do about it.

I lift heavy hoping to get some shape.
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing she doesn't want yours either. But I'm willing to bet she has enough class to not go posting pictures of you and saying so.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Genetics. She's a professional athlete. You do not have to worry about looking like her.

This^^

OP you don't get to that level accidentally.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Ah, it's another body shaming post.

You could have asked your questions without such a derogatory forum title, in my opinion.

And it takes a LOT of work to look like that, along with genetics. You won't get their by accident.
    No. Not shaming. How is having a preference shaming? Geesh... get over yourself. I am just saying that I would like my waistline to have more curves as opposed the more straight type. Since this is the only person I can think of by name who has this trait, she is my example. Had I another persons name in my head with this trait, I would have used a different example.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    So you're worried about obtaining an 8pack? If only it were that easy. I don't think you'll accidentally get that look. Maybe after a decade of hard, dedicated work you might start to look like that. In other words, you're worrying about a scenario that will never happen. Might as well instead worry about dinosaurs rising from the dead and consuming us all.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    First, you are a really long way off from looking like that, according to your ticker. Why worry about it now?

Second, you can't change your shape unless you get to an unhealthy body fat percentage. That's genetics.

Finally, you won't accidentally look like the woman in that photo. That takes a ton of work, and if you find yourself at a place that YOU like as you lose weight and strength train, stop cutting your body fat. It's that simple.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Even I want to look like her.

Dang.
This discussion has been closed.