I don't want a waist line that looks like this!

Options

Replies

• _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I enjoy all the nay sayers here as well. Telling me how I never have to worry about having a nice set of abs. LOL.... wait people. Time is all it takes for progress to accumulate. I'll get around to posting a recent pic of myself eventually. This one is actually a few months old.

I think they are saying that you will not "accidentally" get abs.
  • Meopausemom1951
    Meopausemom1951 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am short waisted and lost inches with the wrap used doing Zumba and exercise..but that body is genetic and long waisted..we short waist have to work harder...I still have a long way to go....but slowly..:flowerforyou:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Ah, it's another body shaming post.

You could have asked your questions without such a derogatory forum title, in my opinion.

And it takes a LOT of work to look like that, along with genetics. You won't get their by accident.
    No. Not shaming. How is having a preference shaming? Geesh... get over yourself. I am just saying that I would like my waistline to have more curves as opposed the more straight type. Since this is the only person I can think of by name who has this trait, she is my example. Had I another persons name in my head with this trait, I would have used a different example.

You don't think that "Not that someone like Dara Torres doesn't have a nice body, it's just the waist line looks like a pencil. Is this avoidable? " isn't shaming?

How would you feel if someone said something to you like "Your waist line looks like the Pillsbury Doughboy, is that avoidable?"
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I enjoy all the nay sayers here as well. Telling me how I never have to worry about having a nice set of abs. LOL.... wait people. Time is all it takes for progress to accumulate. I'll get around to posting a recent pic of myself eventually. This one is actually a few months old.

So first you insult this athlete's body saying you never want to look like that, and then you get offended when people explain how much hard work went into her physique, so it's not something you need to worry about right now or think will happen accidentally. People perplex me.

Yes, I agree with the others that her physique is a combination of her genetics and her hard work as an athlete. I have a different body type. When I look at her, all I see is beauty. And as others said, if you notice you have reached your goal body, you can always shift into maintaining that, instead of going further.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    She is a hardcore athlete with very little body fat. The average person on a quest to lose weight will not end up looking like this, as her body is the result of extensive training and years and years of work and dedication.

I, for one, think she has an incredible body and would LOVE to look like her. I don't really expect to haha, but I really admire her and think she is beautiful.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I think they are saying that you will not "accidentally" get abs.

No accident, they are already there.

Just hiding.

Crouching Abs. Hidden Abs.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't think this is body shaming. Poor choice of words and poor execution, but not shaming. If she was like, "This ***** is gross and I hope I don't look like her," it would be a different story.

I could say that I "never want to look like" Dara Torres...it comes off as rude, but I don't think it really qualifies as body shaming. She is a beautiful, strong, dedicated woman, but I am not hoping to have her physique when all is said and done (even though I never could if I tried, anyway! lol) because that is not the look I am working toward. Is me saying that body shaming?
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

That's not what people are telling you!

You'll notice changes in your body that you don't like LONG before you get to her level. When you start getting results you don't lihe change what you're doing! How can you not notice getting abs like that?!

She is genetically predispositioned to not have "curves." I could never look like her because I have a tiny waist, big boobs, and wide hips. I cjust can't get that straight look.

Yes it is. I don't have to worry about NOT looking the way I do now. Yes, that is what the general consensus is. I recall seeing an awful lot of success stories with pics of people who looked worse than this picture of me in january does, with stellar results in a rather short time. So, saying I don't ever have to worry about looking better is absurd. I ask a simple question, and anyone who could take it the wrong way has. Of course I have come to expect nothing less. Anyhoo, I am gathering that genetics would determine the muscle shape, not the workout itself.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Unfortuneately, you don't know the context that particular picture was taken in. She may have cut way down, lost most of her excess waterweight or many other reasons to take a picture of an extremely lean bf%...I've seen this particular picture before also be accused of alteration in photoshop.

Your fear is a little pre-mature. I don't blame you for not wanting to look like that particular photo, but the good news is, you don't have to. That's why you set a weight and bf% goal, that way when you start to get close, you can re-assess YOUR physique and increase your calories to a maintenance level if you feel you don't want to lean out anymore.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    IMHO, that is way unattractive.

I'm sure she will be utterly devastated that you feel that way :noway:
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Time is all it takes for progress to accumulate.

Actually no, it's time and a butt-load of hard-*kitten* work.

NO. TIME. The progress from the work you do accumulates OVER TIME.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    First, you are a really long way off from looking like that, according to your ticker. Why worry about it now?

Second, you can't change your shape unless you get to an unhealthy body fat percentage. That's genetics.

Finally, you won't accidentally look like the woman in that photo. That takes a ton of work, and if you find yourself at a place that YOU like as you lose weight and strength train, stop cutting your body fat. It's that simple.

this
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options

That's not what people are telling you!

You'll notice changes in your body that you don't like LONG before you get to her level. When you start getting results you don't lihe change what you're doing! How can you not notice getting abs like that?!

She is genetically predispositioned to not have "curves." I could never look like her because I have a tiny waist, big boobs, and wide hips. I cjust can't get that straight look.

Yes it is. I don't have to worry about NOT looking the way I do now. Yes, that is what the general consensus is. I recall seeing an awful lot of success stories with pics of people who looked worse than this picture of me in january does, with stellar results in a rather short time. So, saying I don't ever have to worry about looking better is absurd. I ask a simple question, and anyone who could take it the wrong way has. Of course I have come to expect nothing less. Anyhoo, I am gathering that genetics would determine the muscle shape, not the workout itself.

You've lost 3lbs. in 4 months. Don't worry so much about getting too ripped.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'll admit, my waistline got straighter with heavy lifting (pic on right), but I think I look better!

LeenaRunssidebyside_zps9fcf8c61.jpg
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing pictures of women who after working out, losing fat, and building muscle, have a straight waistline with no curves at all. Is this because of the way the muscles were built, is it genetic? What causes a woman's waist to look like this? This kind of makes me think twice about trying too hard to build muscle. Not that someone like Dara Torres doesn't have a nice body, it's just the waist line looks like a pencil. Is this avoidable?

strength.jpg

There was a featured interview of her, shortly after the Olympics via HBO Sports I'm thinking and the lady here actually shared that she'd needed to consciously build her mid-torso (for strength) like a man, to improve her chances with the much younger swimmers.

The above waistline is a purposefully engineered mid-torso to strengthen her core to affect her speed.

You needn't worry about that. Your purpose is entirely different and your genetics lie in a different direction.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Ah, it's another body shaming post.

You could have asked your questions without such a derogatory forum title, in my opinion.

And it takes a LOT of work to look like that, along with genetics. You won't get there by accident.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Genetics. She's a professional athlete. You do not have to worry about looking like her.

this.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Goodness I would love to have a midsection like hers.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Dara Torres lives in my neighborhood and I see her in Target (!!) from time to time and she looks AMAZING.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    my hip bones stick out waaaay farther than my waist.
    no amount of exercise will reduce the width of those.
This discussion has been closed.