Giving up flour & sugar....??

Options
Anyone else? Sugar is no big deal cuz I hate it but the flour is in so much stuff. :sad:

Replies

• KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Anyone else? Sugar is no big deal cuz I hate it but the flour is in so much stuff. :sad:

All flour or just bleached flour? I make my own oat flour that I use a lot. Just put Old Fashioned oats in the blender.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how bad you want it. There are a lot of gluten free recipes, websites and options out there now, so if you really want to you should be able to find some decent substitutions, but it's not always going to be easy. Good luck!
  • jwalworth
    jwalworth Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    why on earth would you give up either unless you have a diagnosed (and I mean a licensed physician not webmd or "dietician") medical reason?
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Best thing I ever did, giving up sugar and grains. So much more energy!
  • CBKMom
    CBKMom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Is being healthy and reaching your goals more important than sugar and flour? If so, then giving it up is much easier than if this is something you are doing for a quick fix.

I gave up sugar first, then all gluten and rarely use substitutes. I eat clean and healthy and work towards being healthy and fit.

It is not easy, esp when someone is baking something sweet that I once indulged in.

But as the saying goes....Nothing tastes as good as thin feels. They are so right~
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    ukcPLdR.gif

iHDQumS.gif
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    why would I?
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Me too!!! :drinker: I'm bouncing off the walls now! :bigsmile:
  • healthylady88
    healthylady88 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well I am looking for suggestions. I was thinking bread is a killer and may be stalling my loss. Maybe what I keep hearing is just bleached or whole wheat is bad? I love the idea of oatmeal as flour. Interesting! How do you use it? Baking, pizza crusts??
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    why on earth would you give up either unless you have a diagnosed (and I mean a licensed physician not webmd or "dietician") medical reason?

Don't knock it till you try it! :bigsmile:
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I had to give up flour..well wheat flour anyway. If you eat fresh prepared foods instead of stuff that comes in a box it's actually pretty easy to do. But if you must use packages stuff there is a TON of label reading to be done and shopping takes longer until you get the hang of what you can eat. Sugar I don't really pay attention to since I eat mostly clean so added sugar isn't ever an issue.

Edited to say: if you are looking for alternatives to breads and bread products that may be stalling you try gluten free options. Most stores carry GF breads in the freezer section or you can find the bread mixes that you can bake at home. I've made the Bob's Red Mill GF WOnderful Bread...I forget the exact name. But it's just as the name implies...wonderful! :) Udi's has amazing GF bread that you wouldn't even know the difference.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    But as the saying goes....Nothing tastes as good as thin feels. They are so right~

i never seem to find this as motivating as everyone else. there is no need to give up sugar or flour just to be healthy or thin,
    unless you have a medical reason to do so.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without croissants.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Don't knock it till you try it! :bigsmile:

I knock without trying quite a few silly ideas that are not backed by science. I'll keep my donuts thank you very much.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Me too. It has also greatly facilitated my weight loss. :smile:
  • pastryari
    Options
    Well I am looking for suggestions. I was thinking bread is a killer and may be stalling my loss. Maybe what I keep hearing is just bleached or whole wheat is bad? I love the idea of oatmeal as flour. Interesting! How do you use it? Baking, pizza crusts??

Bread is not stalling your loss.

Are you currently not losing?

How many calories are you eating? How tall are you, what do you weigh, what's your goal weight, and how long have you been stuck?
  • Galathea96
    Galathea96 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Flour and sugar like coffee are stuff I refuse to do without. I just try and stick to the "everything in moderation" principle, except for coffee... there I overindulge to my hearts content.
  • pastryari
    Options
    I couldn't live without croissants.

I can make you croissants.. :wink:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Aside from the fact that there's no harm in trying it, the tests for gluten intolerance only test for a reaction to certain variations of the gluten proteins. This means that you could have the worst symptoms in the world and never get a diagnosis if what you're reacting to is the proteins not tested for. Then, there's also the matter that not everyone reacts enough to warrant a diagnosis, but benefits overall from cutting it out.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Yup, I learned I was intolerant to wheat last year. No wheat products whatsoever... I don't want to fall into the trap of "replacing" wheat flour with other refined processed high sugar grain flours so I'm just completely grain free. At least for now. Maybe at some point in the future when I have calories to spare, I'll have some rice or barley (I can have the gluten in barley.. oddly I'm not gluten intolerant, just WHEAT intolerant) The only sugars I eat are those naturally occurring in the foods I eat ... No added cane sugar, corn sugar, dextrose, maltose, date puree, molasses, maple syrup, honey, beet sugar etc... NOTHING.. I'll use stevia if I REALLY want something a little sweet.