Giving up flour & sugar....??

Options
2»

Replies

• Mommylicous
    Mommylicous Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I gave up things that have flour AND sugar combined. Baked goods, essentially.

Cupcakes are a gateway food for me. Lead right into a binge.

I still eat whole grain bread, and I still eat dark chocolate. But my cravings have majorly decreased since I started turning down cookies/cakes/etc.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You can use cauliflower as a pizza crust.

Oatmeal can be placed in a food processor and pulsed until it's a flour like consistency. Are you opposed to almond flour? Another alternative.
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Well I am looking for suggestions. I was thinking bread is a killer and may be stalling my loss. Maybe what I keep hearing is just bleached or whole wheat is bad? I love the idea of oatmeal as flour. Interesting! How do you use it? Baking, pizza crusts??

Here are the other types of flours I use to make "bread-type" foods.
    If you google another of these with "bread" behind it you'll come up with recipes!

Almond Flour
    Coconut Flour
    Soy Flour
    Flaxseed meal
    Psyllium Husk

Good luck!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Oatmeal can be placed in a food processor and pulsed until it's a flour like consistency. Are you opposed to almond flour? Another alternative.

YOU can, but I'll be buggered if I can.
  • sugarfree123
    sugarfree123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    As a diagnosed Celiac for 4 years, here is my 2 cents worth. Giving up flour is basically giving up junk food. VERY FEW things with flour are good for you. actually none come to mind. However, if you substitute gluten free processed products you are still eating junk. If you eat plain meats, fruits, and veges, you will save yourself time (no reading labels) and money and be a LOT healthier. I feel like a young un with lots of energy and I am almost 60 years old. I am glad I was diagnosed celiac - my cookie monster is dead.
    Eating fruits, meats and veges takes care of the sugar issues as well.
  • Dori_Gaga
    Dori_Gaga Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I gave up white flour, for the most part, it wasn't that hard.. the less you eat it, the less you crave it... I believe in the 80/20 rule though, I don't give up anything 100%, but as long as 80% of what you eat is "good", then don't worry if you have some treats. I don't buy anything made from white flour, but like the other day it was a friend's birthday, and I had some cake, and didn't feel one bit bad or guilty, because normally I avoid most refined sugar and white flour... a little bit here or there won't kill me.

I also, for the most part, have quit all processed food, and bread is processed, so now I buy my bread (made from whole wheat flour) at the farmer's market, it's homemade and has no chemicals or preservatives. It doesn't keep as long as grocery store bread, but I am a bread-aholic, so it doesn't last long in my house anyway!

The key is not to completely give up anything, because as soon as you tell yourself you can't have it, it makes you want it. It's about picking better options, most of the time, and then sometimes having the so-called "bad" food.
  • coozine
    coozine Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! Basically, I gave them (flour and sugar) up in 1999.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for 18 months. In the last few months i gave up most other grains and sugar. I feel good. After the first few days you stop craving that stuff. And when i do happen to eat sugar i realize that it isn't that great. I don't like the way it makes me feel ether.
    Also i eat about 6 small meals or snacks a day so i'm not starving all the time. I also drink a ton of water.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

YOU can, but I'll be buggered if I can.

lol, I am not a fan either.. but others like it..
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    I went on the JJ Virgin Diet. 21 day elimination of all inflamatory food items. Sugar, Dairy, Eggs, Gluten, Soy, Peanuts, Corn. 7 lbs lost in the first two days. So whether you are allergic or not, it's a healthy thing to do. Concentrate on Fresh Fruits and Vegitables and lean cuts of meat. You can have nuts, just not peanuts. You can have alot to eat and still lose lots of weight. The first 7 lbs is likely water wt, but also very noticeable! Bloated to Not Bloated in a day or two! I say do it!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Well I am looking for suggestions. I was thinking bread is a killer and may be stalling my loss. Maybe what I keep hearing is just bleached or whole wheat is bad? I love the idea of oatmeal as flour. Interesting! How do you use it? Baking, pizza crusts??

Here are the other types of flours I use to make "bread-type" foods.
    If you google another of these with "bread" behind it you'll come up with recipes!

Almond Flour
    Coconut Flour
    Soy Flour
    Flaxseed meal
    Psyllium Husk

Good luck!

One thing to note - almond flour doesn't absorb liquid like most other flours (at least not what I have, which is relatively coarse compared to wheat flour).

Also, to add to the list:

Tapioca Flour (this is great for getting a similar texture to wheat flour)
    Rice Flour
    Potato Starch (usually mixed with other flours as a gluten substitute)
  • jwalworth
    jwalworth Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Giving up flour is basically giving up junk food. VERY FEW things with flour are good for you. actually none come to mind.

Hogwash. Flour based / included products have been part of the human diet for thousands of years. Now perhaps you meant bleached white flour -- but again its not the flour that makes something junk food -- its the product itself and how much you eat of it.