What to do with egg yolks?

Options
124»

Replies

• tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Eat them, don't listen to the hype, they are the most nutritious part of the egg!
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I eat them most of the time but when I do need more whites than yolks I just scramble them up and give them to my baby (10 months old) she loves them!

This. My daughter's only eating the yolks at the moment. I'll go back to eating whole eggs once she's getting the whites.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    EAT THEM! That's the best part of an egg!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds wasteful, but I just throw them away. The yolk is where most of the calories and chlorestrol are. That's why when I do omlettes, I try to do one egg and 2 whites. I have high chlorestrol. I will eat yolks if I make egg salad sandwiches, deviled eggs, or easy over eggs (I love runny yolks). I can't seem to swallow hardboiled yolks plain though.

This information was from years ago and was misfounded. Egg yolks are ok for you even if you have high cholesterol just as long as you don't eat a carton a week!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Make Creme Brulee
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    eat them, make Key lime Pie, buy egg beaters, eat them...
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    eat them!
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hey, I hear so many people on here saying to eat the egg whites and not the yolks e.g omelette with 3 egg whites & 1 yolk
    But what do you do with the other yolks? Throw them away? Seems a little wasteful to me...

All around eggs are healthy for you. A bit high on the cholesterol side, but still a "clean" food. I typically pull the yokes out of my egg and just do the whites.. less cholesterol. I do also eat the yoke sometimes, but moderation is key.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Eat 'em. Egg whites are good if you're trying to cut calories, but no need to skip out on the yolk.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Eat them. Unless I'm really limited on calories, which is rare.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Throw away the yolk?? :noway: Ackk! That's like trimming all the fat off bacon, lol!
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I put them in my hair. Not joking. I bust the yolk, spread on my dry hair, wait about twenty minutes then jump in the shower and wash like normal. AMAZING!

I put egg white on my face, let it dry, then wash it off... LOL
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    Throw away the yolk?? :noway: Ackk! That's like trimming all the fat off bacon, lol!

though i do not eat my yolks i would NEVER EVER trim my bacon! ;-)
  • LadyLilMax
    LadyLilMax Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eat them, they have tons of protein in them too!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I love the yolks, but only if they're not runny! I have to be very specific if I order eggs Benedict, but I think I'll learn how to make hollandaise myself so I can have my eggs how I want.
  • KathrynKennewell108
    KathrynKennewell108 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yolks are where the healthy bits are.

THIS^

Stop the "fat/cholesterol (from natural sources) is bad" nonsense. It's WRONG. Since everyone stopped eating egg yolks, animal fat, coconut oil etc and switched to canola and soy oil has health improved? I think not.

Here here! I have two WHOLE eggs most mornings. Do your research. To fill the centre aisles with sugar laden crap and turn a neat profit, the sugar/processed foods industries needed a scapegoat. Fat. I wish people would get with the times and stop buying into the hand me down BS the last 2-3 generations have been fed.

Sugar 100 or so years ago becomes affordable and widely available for the first time in history. Despite medical advances our health is as bad as ever (worse in terms of body fat related health issues). Coincidence? Not!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hey, I hear so many people on here saying to eat the egg whites and not the yolks e.g omelette with 3 egg whites & 1 yolk
    But what do you do with the other yolks? Throw them away? Seems a little wasteful to me...

It is wasteful to me too. I make omelets or scrambles with one full egg and 1/2 cup of 100% egg whites. Less yolk, more whites and nothing wasted.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I save them for when I do fried chicken. (Boneless / skinless breasts done with homemade breading.) So I double coat them, first in the flour dredge, then in the yolk / milk mixture, then again in the flour. Very yummy. :) I don't use all the yolks up like that, but at least some don't go to waste.

ETA: I do love yolks, and just wanted to say the only reason I leave them out of my omelets is because I'm conserving fat / calories and trying to up protein more. I need to save my fat for things like ice cream or cheeseburgers. >.> lol
  • anorrisdyer
    anorrisdyer Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Just eat them. Egg yolks are one of the richest dietary sources of the B-complex vitamin choline, which is associated with better neurological function and reduced inflammation. Egg yolks also contain two carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin, which protect against vision loss.Eggs are also high in sulfur, an essential nutrient that helps with everything from vitamin B absorption to liver function. But sulfur is also necessary for the production of collagen and keratin, which help create and maintain shiny hair, strong nails and glowing skin.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    There's a ton of yummy desserts that call for only the yolks