Can't stop the Diet Soda!

Options

Replies

• _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    This is some good info guys, thank you! I have gone from 4 20 ounce bottles a day down to 2, and brought in the Sparkling Ice, that stuff is awesome, but really is it any better for you? It still has fake sweeteners in it? Thank you Dani! I cut back and as long as I can still lose I guess I'm good!

Yes, it does contain a small dose of suraclose (splenda) but that is the only similarity it has with diet soda.

Diet soda also has these horrible ingredients:

caramel color - linked to cancer
    phosphoric acid - this strips your bones of its nutrients
    natural flavors - read about it's horribleness here: http://foodbabe.com/2011/12/01/chemical-warfare-with-natural-flavor/

You should really stop reading.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    This is some good info guys, thank you! I have gone from 4 20 ounce bottles a day down to 2, and brought in the Sparkling Ice, that stuff is awesome, but really is it any better for you? It still has fake sweeteners in it? Thank you Dani! I cut back and as long as I can still lose I guess I'm good!

Yes, it does contain a small dose of suraclose (splenda) but that is the only similarity it has with diet soda.

Diet soda also has these horrible ingredients:

caramel color - linked to cancer
    phosphoric acid - this strips your bones of its nutrients
    natural flavors - read about it's horribleness here: http://foodbabe.com/2011/12/01/chemical-warfare-with-natural-flavor/

don't forget:

water - linked to drowning
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I drink about 2-3 cans of diet pepsi a day. I haven't exploded yet, nor has it hindered my weight loss in any way.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    My reason for cutting down, I think, was more psychological than anything. I would always have a diet soda after dinner, and it made me crave something sweet after a meal. This would normally be fine, but if I didn't have access to a diet soda, I run the chance of having something worse. I don't necessarily want to stop drinking soda (I don't believe in depriving myself of anything if I want it), just get out of the habit of drinking it everyday so it's more of a treat.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is worst for you than regular soda. You really should do some research on it and maybe that will help kick your habit!!!

No it's not.

Yes it is. But that doesnt' mean the OP can't do what she wants, but she did post this thread inviting advice.
  • _DaniD_
    Options
    Diet soda is worst for you than regular soda. You really should do some research on it and maybe that will help kick your habit!!!

No it's not.

Yes it is. But that doesnt' mean the OP can't do what she wants, but she did post this thread inviting advice.

No. It isn't.
  • leebeebumble
    leebeebumble Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well I mainly want advice on the one question, Can I lose weight while still drinking it?
    Dani, you rock, honestly cracking me up!
  • bigcrystal123
    bigcrystal123 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 diet soda a day and im still losing weight.i use to drink like almost a 12 pack a day of regular soda
    So diet was a new thing for me.im happy i cut down
  • LuHox
    LuHox Posts: 136
    Options
    I lost my first 35 lbs without even thinking of giving up diet soda. I'm not saying it's wonderful for you, but it can be done.
  • healthylady88
    healthylady88 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put aspartame in my body if you paid me. You're messing with poison :(
  • Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Well I mainly want advice on the one question, Can I lose weight while still drinking it?

Yes, you definitely can! Tons of ppl on here can vouch for that. I drink about 1 can of diet soda per day. Sometimes two, sometimes none, just depends. Like most anything, you should do it in moderation.

But yeah, 0 calories and 0 sugar vs 170 cal and 46 grams of sugar??? Diet's the way to go if you love soda - no question!
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Just try to ween yourself off the diet as well as the SI. Like you noted it has chemicals (artificial sweetner) and they alter how your body's systems work and not in a good way. It's hard I know, my biggest obstacle is coffee/w flavored creamer. You can do it. Also remember water is your friend. I use True lemon in my water or Crystal Light (Pure) made with stevia.
  • Brenda4105
    Brenda4105 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    First to each their own! I love my diet soda. I drink anywhere from 3 - 8 a day. I have 1 or 2 in the morning, I don't drink coffee or tea. Then I drink water all day. Every now and then I will have one during my lunch. Then the minute I hit the door at night I start drinking them again. So far tonight I have had 3. That brings my daily total to 6. I also drank 10 glasses of water.

I have lost 45lbs since the first of the year. I don't think it has hurt my weight lose.
  • maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    You can loose weight with it. But i dont think any soda is good for you everyday. Just try to get your self down to one a day if u can if you are worried about it:)
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It develops because aspartame, in temperatures as low as 86 degrees Fahrenheit, begins to break down chemically into methanol, which is a deadly poison. It is a known carcinogen---a cancer-causing agent.

Methanol is not a carcinogen. :noway:
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I drink about 20 oz per day of diet coke. I've lost almost 100
  • jrniven
    jrniven Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Know what else causes cancer, depression, anxiety, stress, and all sorts of other problems? Driving in traffic. But we still do that every day. Everything in moderation. Better to drink a diet soda than eat a candy bar, or some fast food because your brain is trying to get easy cheap calories.
  • _DaniD_
    Options
    I drink about 20 oz per day of diet coke. I've lost almost 100

/end thread
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Giving up what you love would be sad. Glad you've chosen to keep drinking what you enjoy. Cheers!
  • BrakemanSlova
    BrakemanSlova Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When I don't drink diet soda I have fewer sugar/carb cravings. I got a SodaStream machine and am trying to drink bubbly water with maybe a little lemon extract in it. Surprisingly, the bubbles really hit the thirst-quenching spot for me.