Can't stop the Diet Soda!

Options

Replies

• cardiophile
    cardiophile Posts: 38
    Options
    You ladies are right, you can definitely lose weight while drinking diet soda. Doing meth and having cancer can make you lose weight as well. Please, go ahead and ignore all the evidence of the carcinogenic and crazy neurological effects of diet soda and guzzle away. Coca Cola and Pepsi love you guys for it. Cheers! Chemotherapy and diabetes sheds those pounds as well!
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Try sparkling water. Or the lemonade packs with 5 calories works for me with 2 pinch of flavor
  • kiwanda88
    kiwanda88 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you can wean yourself off the artificial sweeteners you can keep the bubbles with seltzer. There are lots of flavored commercial ones, mostly citrus or raspberry, that are pretty good. A few years ago I started making my own though, so now drink 1-2 liters per day made at home, just water and a splash of lemon or lime juice, then carbonated. I got my carbonation system to reduce our waste stream (all that recycling) and save money (it's about $.05 per 2L bottle for the CO2) but it also means we have all the bubbly water we can drink all the time, so we no longer buy any sweetened drinks, diet or otherwise.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    When I don't drink diet soda I have fewer sugar/carb cravings. I got a SodaStream machine and am trying to drink bubbly water with maybe a little lemon extract in it. Surprisingly, the bubbles really hit the thirst-quenching spot for me.

This. I found my need for diet soda was really about the carbonation. Got a SodaStream and haven't looked back. 9 times out of 10 I don't even add anything to it. If I *need* that flavor, SodaStream's non-diet versions are made with true sugar, not HFCS, and have about 1/4 the calories of traditional sodas and taste as good IMO. Their diet versions are Splenda-based.
    The research (real research, not quoting Bodybuilding websites) is wishy-washy on artificial sweeteners so I'm not panicked about them but I do try to ingest mostly real food when i can. The research on a link to obesity seems to be the most solid, but if you're actual tracking your daily calories and stay within your goal, shouldn't be an issue.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Well I mainly want advice on the one question, Can I lose weight while still drinking it?
    Dani, you rock, honestly cracking me up!
    Personally have drank it for 25 years. According to the naysayers, I should be obese, have weak bones, bad teeth, neurological problems and dying from cancer .:laugh:

And yes you CAN lose weight drinking it.

My only advice would be not to drink half a case of it a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dan11222
    dan11222 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    apparently if you pump a a rat with three times its body weight in aspartame everyday for a month it gets pretty unhealthy, strange ... anyway ive been drinking it everyday since i started losing weight and well look at the ticker i personally think if it helps you adhere to your diet then even it is a bit unhealthy for you its still the less of two evils so im just gonna kick back with my diet pepsi and watch everyone tell you how unhealthy it is:) ...also watch out for metabolic syndrome that stuffs a killer
    11871746.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Please ignore the chick spouting Mercola's nonsense. He is a crook and has no proof to back up any of his nonsense.

Anyway, you want to drink diet soda and still lose weight? Go for it.
  • dan11222
    dan11222 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    amen to that^^
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that stuff is poison. To give it up.. just don't buy it, don't have it in the house.. don't keep change for the vending machine.

We hired a guy to drive our semi 10 days ago. He showed up at the truck with cases of diet soda. I swear he weighed 500#'s and his hands shook. Oh, and no water.

Three days later he's calling paramedics to his truck because there's something wrong. Guy things he is suffering from heat exhaustion because he was outside in Phoenix picking up his straps. Next day or two days later he's in the hospital and is diagnosed severely dehydrated.

I wouldn't drink it. But I do drink my coffee with that sweetened creamer people say will give you cancer... so just realize this opinion is coming from a hypocrite. :)
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is worst for you than regular soda. You really should do some research on it and maybe that will help kick your habit!!!

Sounds like you're the one that needs to do some research (and I mean peer-reviewed, not some Google search).
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I found if was the caffeine, maltodextrin, and/or sugar alcohol in the diet sodas which kepted me from giving them up. It took time, but I was able to eliminate them.

I switched to DaVinci's sugar free syrup + seltzer water (i.e. Italian soda) as a replacement. DaVinci's was recommended, to me, by the works of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 or 3 Diet Pepsi a day and have lost a few pounds....... :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You ladies are right, you can definitely lose weight while drinking diet soda. Doing meth and having cancer can make you lose weight as well. Please, go ahead and ignore all the evidence of the carcinogenic and crazy neurological effects of diet soda and guzzle away. Coca Cola and Pepsi love you guys for it. Cheers! Chemotherapy and diabetes sheds those pounds as well!
    What carcinogenic? Where's the actual evidence of neurological effects? (not correlation, but actual causation from it). Where's the evidence that people are getting cancer from diet soda? From Cancer.org? Also diabetes?

IDEA Fitness member
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007492.htm

There are studies linking everything to cancer and general lack of wellbeing. Who pays scientists to do studies? Most are paid from large industries. Health and supplement industries are a huge backer. Why? Health sells. Be careful not to be lured into bad studies with negligble results.

The link above is the National Library of Medicine/ National Institutes of Health. This is their official word on sweeteners.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners

Aspartame

Aspartame, distributed under several trade names (e.g., NutraSweet® and Equal®), was approved in 1981 by the FDA after numerous tests showed that it did not cause cancer or other adverse effects in laboratory animals. Questions regarding the safety of aspartame were renewed by a 1996 report suggesting that an increase in the number of people with brain tumors between 1975 and 1992 might be associated with the introduction and use of this sweetener in the United States. However, an analysis of then-current NCI statistics showed that the overall incidence of brain and central nervous system cancers began to rise in 1973, 8 years prior to the approval of aspartame, and continued to rise until 1985. Moreover, increases in overall brain cancer incidence occurred primarily in people age 70 and older, a group that was not exposed to the highest doses of aspartame since its introduction. These data do not establish a clear link between the consumption of aspartame and the development of brain tumors.

In 2005, a laboratory study found more lymphomas and leukemias in rats fed very high doses of aspartame (equivalent to drinking 8 to 2,083 cans of diet soda daily) (1). However, there were some inconsistencies in the findings. For example, the number of cancer cases did not rise with increasing amounts of aspartame as would be expected. An FDA statement on this study can be found at http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/2006/ucm108650.htm on the Internet.

Subsequently, NCI examined human data from the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study of over half a million retirees. Increasing consumption of aspartame-containing beverages was not associated with the development of lymphoma, leukemia, or brain cancer (2).

OP, you're fine....drink the diet soda if you want it. Just don't drink 8 to 2,083 cans of soda every day :smile: Especially if you are a lab rat
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I wouldn't put aspartame in my body if you paid me. You're messing with poison :(
    Too bad they didn't have an offer like that for me 25 years ago. It'd be one of the worst poisons out there (ineffective).:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007492.htm

There are studies linking everything to cancer and general lack of wellbeing. Who pays scientists to do studies? Most are paid from large industries. Health and supplement industries are a huge backer. Why? Health sells. Be careful not to be lured into bad studies with negligble results.

The link above is the National Library of Medicine/ National Institutes of Health. This is their official word on sweeteners.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners

Aspartame

Aspartame, distributed under several trade names (e.g., NutraSweet® and Equal®), was approved in 1981 by the FDA after numerous tests showed that it did not cause cancer or other adverse effects in laboratory animals. Questions regarding the safety of aspartame were renewed by a 1996 report suggesting that an increase in the number of people with brain tumors between 1975 and 1992 might be associated with the introduction and use of this sweetener in the United States. However, an analysis of then-current NCI statistics showed that the overall incidence of brain and central nervous system cancers began to rise in 1973, 8 years prior to the approval of aspartame, and continued to rise until 1985. Moreover, increases in overall brain cancer incidence occurred primarily in people age 70 and older, a group that was not exposed to the highest doses of aspartame since its introduction. These data do not establish a clear link between the consumption of aspartame and the development of brain tumors.

In 2005, a laboratory study found more lymphomas and leukemias in rats fed very high doses of aspartame (equivalent to drinking 8 to 2,083 cans of diet soda daily) (1). However, there were some inconsistencies in the findings. For example, the number of cancer cases did not rise with increasing amounts of aspartame as would be expected. An FDA statement on this study can be found at http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/2006/ucm108650.htm on the Internet.

Subsequently, NCI examined human data from the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study of over half a million retirees. Increasing consumption of aspartame-containing beverages was not associated with the development of lymphoma, leukemia, or brain cancer (2).

OP, you're fine....drink the diet soda if you want it. Just don't drink 8 to 2,083 cans of soda every day :smile: Especially if you are a lab rat
    What if you're a hood rat?:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Drink your diet pop, ignore the naysayers. Just don't smoke crack or anything like that and you should be fine.

bahahaha!! I love this ^^^
    I personally don't drink it, except for the rare times I go out and have vodka and something fizzy (raspberry?)
    But if it fits within your diet plan and you have no intention of giving it up, then like the lady above says, no crack and all will be well.
    This has amused me no end :bigsmile:
  • Scott0508
    Scott0508 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You would have to drink quite a bit of aspartame to get methanol or formaldehyde poisoning,. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

^^^This for me as well.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options

Just a few.