Is hitting a punching bag good cardio?

Options
13»

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you're saying. But you are arguing over semantics on a fitness site. People equate "cardio" with "calorie burn" regardless of the textbook definition of cardiovascular conditioning or anaerobic conditioning. It's like the argument that muscle weighs more than fat :laugh:

You're just kind of coming off as combative and arrogant for something kind of insignificant. This site is generally very supportive. Just because we don't all know every scientific term doesn't make us morons. Consider "cardio" around here to be a slang term for "burn". :drinker:
    I've been around long enough to know this is not true. If it were slang for this, then I would see people asking if lifting was good cardio. Yet I do not.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    This is from Scoobysworkshop.com, but the information he cites is from the American Heart Association.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/cardio/#whatisgoodcardio
    What is “good cardio”?

There is a lot of confusion about cardio, its really quite simple. Lets start with the basics. My definition of cardio is that it elevates your heart rate to 50%-85% of your maximum and keep it there for at least 20 minutes. What is your maximum? Depends on your goal, your age, and your health. If you have medical conditions, ask your doctor what is appropriate for you. If you are in good health, you can use these charts from the AHA.

Age Target HR Zone 50–85 % Avg Max Heart Rate 100 %
    20 years 100–170 beats per minute 200 beats per minute
    25 years 98–166 beats per minute 195 beats per minute
    30 years 95–162 beats per minute 190 beats per minute
    35 years 93–157 beats per minute 185 beats per minute
    40 years 90–153 beats per minute 180 beats per minute
    45 years 88–149 beats per minute 175 beats per minute
    50 years 85–145 beats per minute 170 beats per minute
    55 years 83–140 beats per minute 165 beats per minute
    60 years 80–136 beats per minute 160 beats per minute
    65 years 78–132 beats per minute 155 beats per minute
    70 years 75–128 beats per minute 150 beats per minute

Source: American Heart Association
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Tat2dDom0105 Posts: 661
    Options
    As long as you put some effort into it, use various punches (or kicks), and move around the bag, then you'll be fine.
  • Viva81Diva
    Viva81Diva Posts: 148
    Options
    Doesn't matter what it's classified under. It gets your heart pumping, burns fat and stress. As I said before, beat that bag like it owes you money.

Haha!! That's right! Get it get it!! Cardio or not, I will burn fat with this type of exercise any day!!!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I just think it's funny that something with "aerobic" in the title (step aerobics) isn't technically cardio because there are tons of squats and lunges (mostly dynamic), sprinting, etc in the class I go to and you can feel the lactic acid buildup in the legs during some of the tracks (there is a squat right into lunge repeated ad nauseum track that really causes soreness-even in the instructors)
  • dbratton87
    dbratton87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    thanks. But getting your heartrate up has zero bearing on if you're doing cardio or not. Just because it increases, does NOT mean it's a cardio activity. Thats all I'm trying to say. When I'm doing any strength training, my heartrate shoots through the roof. I would be laughed at if I said well obviously I'm doing cardio, my heartrate went up. Yet somehow boxing, which is also an anaerobic activity, suddenly is cardio because your heartrate goes up??? I don't get it.

Yes there are cardio components to it, if you decide to train for them as such. But I would not call that 'good' cardio. I would call that cardio accessory. I mean, there is a reason why boxers for their cardio, do NOT do boxing. If it were good cardio, then it seems they should do a lot of that for their cardio workouts, right? right? Nope, instead they run and skip. Because it's a better cardio workout.

Boxing is great lactic acid threshold training and a good calorie burn. And in general and all around great form of exercise to be doing. But it is not good cardio.

Getting your heart rate up DOES NOT have zero bearing on whether or not it's "cardio". Every source I have consulted defines cardio as an exercise from moderate to vigorous intensity that significantly raises you heart rate to a target range for an extended period of time. So yes, you are right that just because your heart rate is elevated does not mean you are doing cardio because the key is that your heart rate has to be raised for an extended period of time.

Boxing would be cardio regardless of the speed as long as you were able to keep it up at least 30 or so minutes. As long as you keep your heart rate up long enough to strengthen and benefit your HEART, it would be CARDIOVASCULAR exercise. It only has to benefit your cardiovascular system to earn that title. Thus, getting that heart rate up and keeping it up is the MAIN and ONLY factor in determining if an exercise is "cardio". Now aerobic and anaerobic are a little more specific.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Not as good as hitting a stupid person but it works

This is my favorite answer. :laugh:
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    no. because it's not cardio. unless you do it really slowly and don't put any force behind the punches and kicks. then it can be considered cardio.

What are you smoking, dude?

If it gets your heart rate up, it's cardio. Wanna guess where the word comes from?

So yes, OP, it is cardio, and very good cardio, too.
    When you lift weights, your heartreate goes up. Is that cardio too?

when you're scared, your heartrate goes up. Is that cardio too?

when you are in a hot place, your heartrate goes up. Is that cardio too?

you do understand that anything using fast twitch muscle fibers uses the ATP-CP and lactic acid energy systems to do work right? that means by definition, NOT cardio.

Cardio is ONLY when your body is doing slower low impact stuff that uses Type I muscle.

Boxing and kickboxing and the like CAN be cardio. As long as you're not giving it your all punching and go slow and weak enough to last for a while without tiring. Otherwise if you do it in regards to sets and failure, you're doing the equivalent of sprinting.

Here's a hint. If you're feeling lactic acid buildup, then it's not cardio, as by definition you're using your lactic acid energy system.

He's been here for two days and he knows more than everyone apparently...you will go far. :flowerforyou:
  • carlacyr
    carlacyr Posts: 11
    Options
    Are people seriously pedantic enough to argue what is 'technically' cardio? If the op or anyone is getting a good solid workout from punching a punching bag, than regardless of it being cardio or not... Can we simply agree that yup, s'good workout, have at 'er.

I never understand why people are so damn determined to be right about everything all the time. Surely ya'll have better things to do than troll one another.

.... Off my soapbox.... Thanks for your time.
  • JSworth
    JSworth Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm sorry, I know this thread is almost a year old, but I just couldn't resist that kickboxing is listed as an example of an aerobic exercise on Wikipedia. I just did 5 5 minute intervals with 1 minute rest on my Century Bob punching bag and am drenched in sweat. I only wish that I had spent the time getting some actual cardio work in. Again, sorry. But I really couldn't resist.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Not as good as hitting a stupid person but it works
    and /thread :bigsmile: