Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What's with the attitude?

laele75
laele75 Posts: 283 Member
I repeatedly see posts about 'soandso is sabotaging my diet' or complaints about the people around us who don't eat the same way. People insisting repeatedly that the world has to change to accommodate and support them or these people are bad.

What. the. hell? On toast.

Seriously?

You have made a lifestyle choice. Congratulations. I made the same lifestyle choice myself. But when YOU make the changes to your life, YOU are responsible for keeping on track. Yes, support is nice. But if you made the changes for YOU, then no one but you can sabotage your efforts. No one but YOU.

Not your spouses. Not your kids. Not your parents. Not your co-workers who eat out everyday. What they think, what they do, what they eat? Not your issue. I am all for teaching people good habits. But forcing it down their throats or looking down on them because the didn't choose that lifestyle? Or worse, accusing them of sabotaging your goals? It's asinine and very selfish.

Set a good example for your families. Kids aren't stupid. Show people how great you feel since you made the change, not complain constantly about everything that makes it hard. Part of the reason they don't want to eat what you eat? It's making you miserable and hard to live with.

/rant

Replies

• vidasana87
    vidasana87 Posts: 75
    And a damn good rant, indeed.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    I agree. We are adults and WE choose what we eat.

I went out to eat with my husband the other night. He got an appetizer of cheese fries, I didn't care..he can order what he wants. It was up to me to say no thank you and sip my water. He wasn't trying to sabotage me..or make me give in. He just wanted some cheese fries. ;)
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    I eat a work lunch salad every day, because its healthy and I like it.

First I was ridiculed for it, but 70lbs or so later and people are suddenly VERY interested in my eating habits, lol
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    1000% agree!!! The posts I have seen today were just ridiculous. IT'S CALLED SELF CONTROL PEOPLE!
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

AGREE! AGREE! AGREE! AGREE! AGREE! AGREE! AGREE! AGREE!

You sound like a member of Boot Camp Buddies -- no excuses!

What you say is so true -- we've made the decision to eat healthy and make changes. We're responsible for our own behavior. We shouldn't expect others to change to accomodate us.

Thanks for the post!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    This thread is a bit old but came across it and wanted to say thanks, needed that! It's up to ME, no excuses.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

carbs?! are you mad?!
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    :drinker: amen
  • I agree 110%, noone should be forced to do anything. I have made a lifestyle change, but I still cook two meals sometimes, because my fiance and kids don't always like what I am eating, so why should I MAKE them eat it? If I have a bad day it is not anyone elses fault and I to see a lot of "oh it is hard because my kids don't eat this way or my husband or blah." Get with the program you are in it 100% or you aren't.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Great. Now I'm thinking of raisin toast.

~sighs~

But it was a great rant.
    ~applause~
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    but... its so much more convenient to be a victim...
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    yes, yes, yes:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • BathtubBadger
    BathtubBadger Posts: 217 Member
    Here's what I did when my brother tried to "SABOTAGE" me. (with the proper use of the term!)

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1043854-how-to-not-get-your-brother-s-support-on-getting-fit-pics
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    this. my husband ordered the queso and chips. i didn't eat any... he ate less than he would have if i had helped. next time? he might not order those. but if he does - we both know i can and will say no to eating them. doesn't mean he cant :)
    I agree. We are adults and WE choose what we eat.

I went out to eat with my husband the other night. He got an appetizer of cheese fries, I didn't care..he can order what he wants. It was up to me to say no thank you and sip my water. He wasn't trying to sabotage me..or make me give in. He just wanted some cheese fries. ;)
  • AnimePrincess13
    AnimePrincess13 Posts: 60 Member
    Totally agree, and now I want toast. Ahh well maybe Friday when I go shopping. Thanks for the post I was just thinking this today. :)
  • Yup - YOU made the change. If someone sabotages you - then you deal with it. So much easier to play the "poor me, my life is so hard" card. You know what? I've got issues too (medical, family, work, etc... we all have those issues) - and I'm not F*&^ing complaining, but keep trying to do better each day. Set examples and get up and dust yourself off after life throws you a punch.

Thank you. Just... THANK YOU

That is all :drinker:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member

carbs?! are you mad?!

Exactly what I was thinking. I can't eat carbs, they'll make me fat! SABOTAGE!
  • Jayiz
    Jayiz Posts: 39
    I admit it's harder when certain people kind of wave foods in front of you, but you are absolutely right. It's all about self control and your own actions. People need to take accountability instead of blaming their problems on their environment or certain people. :)
  • Thank you for this! It really made me sit and think because I know in the past I have used my boyfriends eating habits as an excuse but NOT ANYMORE! What you've said is so true!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    That should be posted in big bold letters somewhere so everyone can see it ... love it

:bigsmile: