Do you receive neg comments about your weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    "Are you on drugs?" - Oh shut up.

Haha!

This is one I am starting to get - and my brother gets it all the time! We were out the other weekend and I heard a girl say this verbatim:

"OMG there is like a half of you"
    "Howd You lose the weight?"
    "Seriously tho - safely right? No drugs?'

LOL Ummm maybe an Omega 3 supplement...does that count?
  • jmejiaa
    jmejiaa Posts: 21
    Options
    Something I saw on FB. I lost 50 lbs since I started, focused on getting strong and still want to lose some more FAT because I want to be lean.. People can't fathom it because with clothes, I look pretty good already.. Anyway, here it is(Brad Pillon wrote it):

Speaking of success...

For those of you struggling with your friends and family not being 'overly supportive' of your decision to get in shape, remember that it's typically not your approach that gets their ire, but your success.

It doesn't matter is you did Eat Stop Eat or Weight Watchers, Whether you ate six meals a day or 3 meals a day, High protein or Vegan, did cross fit or did lots of cardio...if you found success you're going to find that people aren't always as happy for you as you'd like them to be.

Typically things that will be said (when you're not around) include

She looks great but.... (leading to comments about how unhealthy your approach was, or how unsustainable your lifestyle is)

or

He's in great shape but... (leading to some sort of suspicion of drug use, or that you lost 'too much muscle')

Don't sweat it. There is usually some degree of jealousy in these comments. Remember - by changing the way YOU look you've forced people to think about the way THEY look.
  • kimastbury
    kimastbury Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I HAD a friend who used to encourage me to eat deserts and cakes while they sat there and had an entree for a main or just a skinny cap. I finally twigged and said "No I don't need desert" to which she nearly got on her knees and begged me to have it. She was literally getting her satisfaction from sabotaging me. I said to her "You love watching me eat these things don't you?" to which she slyly smiled and said "I just know you want it and want you to be happy". Needless to say, we are no longer friends. As my success kicked in, her anger and jealousy got worse. She propped up her poor self esteem by saying to herself "At least I'm not fat like her" B*TCH! GONE!!!!!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    So far no one has said anything negative to me. I see my in-laws this weekend and they no nothing about my weight loss. We shall see how that goes.

A friend sent me one of those e-cards. It said I am on the cupcake diet. I give all my friends and family cupcakes so they get fatter to make me look skinny.
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It really took a conversation with my nephew for me to understand that my family just didn't recognize the fact that I was so overweight. My nephew looked me straight in the eye and said that he never thought I was bigger. I told him how much weight I have lost, and it meant nothing. I showed him a picture from this time last year and then he was shocked.

So after that conversation, I tend to let the "you don't need to lose anymore weight" comments slide.
  • StephConey
    StephConey Posts: 18
    Options
    First off, congrats on your success so far! I think it's awesome that you're changing yourself for the better. As far as your dear friends are concerned, they must be shown this journey is important to you. They must understand there is nothing wrong with you and if they are not going to directly support your endeavor, they must respect it. So, no "insisting" on doing anything to sabotage your efforts.

Personally, I have been on and off the fit journey since my teens. I went through a great tragedy recently that has given me a new resolve to get in shape. People that don't know me well are like "good for you". Those who know me are like "have a beer. eat some candy...you're gonna fall off the wagon, anyway". I take negativity in stride. I understand why my loved ones doubt me. But I stick with my resolve even when I mess up. And I don't allow anyone to sway me in an undesirable direction.

I wish you all the best in your fitness journey!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I didn't at first. I would say the first 30-45 lbs I had tons of support.

But, I feel and see that now since I have kept going I am getting some looks, and comments. I even get people now shoving food in my face and not taking NO as an answer. I get people telling me " not to throw it away". I get a lot of " what's for lunch, a cracker? Another salad?".

I don't get why people have to get so crappy. I am changing MY life not theirs. I feel like they secretly wanted me to fail, and thought " she will just put it back on" but they see that I have kept going and for whatever reason, feel the need to get sh*tty about it. I know it's silly to think that, but I can't help but think it.

It is what it is.. when you go through a life change and people can't support you, maybe they need to be cut out for a while. :ohwell:
  • hegster23
    hegster23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the other posters who said your "friends" need to be shown how important this journey is to you. You aren't trying to change them, you're changing you, and if they don't like it, they are real friends.
    I don't get why people try to sabotage and put down others for trying to be healthier. Maybe it's jealousy? Or they were comfortable with you being unhealthy? Who knows.

I haven't had anything really negative said to me (mind you, I haven't lost a lot of weight or anything yet, but I'm watching what I eat and exercising), but when I said something to my mom about my "run" (C25K), she was like "oh, you're running now?" in a not so nice tone. I don't get what the big deal is. I'm sick and tired of being a lazy loaf on the couch, so I'm doing something about it. People need to be more supportive.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I actually posted about this very same issue and the BARRAGE of negative comments from friends and family whenever I post about fitness and weight loss on Facebook. "You don't need to lose 40 lbs!" (I really do) "BMI is useless!" (I've done my research and I think it's a good gauge for average height/frame people like me and I'm aiming for a middle of the road BMI) "What are you, trying to look like a Hollywood actress?" (Thanks for the shade!) "My mom lost 60 lbs once and she gained it all back in 3 months." (OMG no1curr.) etc etc etc.

I think that making a change in your life makes people defensive. Some people know they should be doing things for themselves that they aren't, so they see your changes and your ability to stick to something as an indictment on their own failures, when really probably most of us could give a crap about what anyone else is doing with their own lives, much less are we bothering to judge anyone for their diet and lack of exercise.

Gently asking for respect and reminding people that you're NOT talking about THEM - that your posting a photo of your low cal dinner is no less a judgment than their posting a photo of their triple burger and fries - helps. And if anyone continues to try to sabotage you - chuck 'em. Nobody needs that!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm at the point where some people are beginning to act panicked at the thought of my weight loss. I regularly here 'How much MORE are you going to lose?!' and when I say My goal has not changed, I am still going to get to130 pounds they act like this is an anorexic weight or an unreasonable weight for me. I have also had people tell me that I didn't/don't need to lose 108 pounds...Um, yes I did/do. I started at 238, my goal is 130. That's 108 pounds. One woman told me that the only people who need to lose over 100 pounds are those that are obese. I said, yah, that was me, I WAS obese. She tried to argue with me over the definition of obesity! Talking about I wasn't 400 pounds or whatever. Sorry to break it to you, but 238 pounds on a 5'6 woman is OBESE.

Just like I wasn't going to stay obese for anyone, I'm not going to stay overweight for anyone. I will get to my goal weight and if folks don't like it, oh well.
  • TehNoms
    TehNoms Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I will get to my goal weight and if folks don't like it, oh well.

:drinker:
  • KingOfTheBurke
    Options
    Let's say you have this friend who has a drinking problem. She is a solid, good good person, but for whatever reason she overindulges, and it's taken its toll on her health, relationships, and self esteem. At some point she digs deep and faces it head on. She throttles waaay back on the behaviors that have made her miserable. With hard work and sacrifice, she starts to feel better, get her life under control, and to be happy. She's thriving.

But this friend has other people in her life that try to get her to party with them. People that nag her to drink at a birthday party. People that tell her she's no fun anymore, and that they liked her much better when she drank as much as everyone else. People that comment on how unhappy she seems to be.

What would you say to this friend?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    in the last 8 months ive lost 30kg/66pounds through eating healthy & light exercise.... last week, an aqaintance saw me for the 1st time in that period. She commented on how much i had lost & asked when i had had weightloss surgery? I politely said that i hadnt had surgery & that i`d lost it from eating healthy & some exercise. She then looked me in the eye & said BS, no one could lose that amount in that amount of time without surgery!

blimey that is so rude. You would just say, wow well done, please tell me your secrets.

I would have asked her if she got her medical degree at STFU.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of " what's for lunch, a cracker?"

I was asked that exact thing once, back when I was fasting for a short period.

My response was: I don't eat white people.
  • mikepautzke
    mikepautzke Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not worth your time, people like this need to be superior to you in some way, and your weight was the only thing they had, lose the weight, and lose about 280 more pounds when you ditch these "friends"
  • MizPassion
    MizPassion Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the mixed support full of humour, sarcasm, advice, and explanations :laugh: Your comments made me laugh, reflect, and learn. I feel more uplifted because of you guys. I think more people should know about this issue because we often see images of friends and fam supporting the person who lost weight. This is not always the case in the real world. It's ironic how the ones enforcing their opinions about health/nutrition usually know very little about the subject? I'm learning that knowing how to react to saboteurs is also a BIG part of losing weight/being healthier. I don't see this topic in weight loss books?

I also agree that people don't like change and there may be hidden jealousy. If they continue to say things like "eat more", I will shove food down their throat when they decide to stop eating. Oh, I mean, as many suggested,I will simply explain (part of me feels like I shouldn't have to) that I'm doing it for health reasons. I could even further state that not all bodies are the same (since they are naturally thin). I feel like a Grade K teacher. I don't really feel the need to have to explain further. However, if they continue to overstep boundaries then I will nicely explain how I feel. If they continue? We are no longer friends.

I'm sure with time I will get better at responding and reacting. I hate confrontation, but I'm working on it. Thanks for your support! I'm really enjoying this forum.

OP
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of experience with this and I have found that it generally stems from one of three things:
    1. Jealousy/Insecurity/Needing to relate things to themselves
    Most people try to relate things to themselves and their own experiences in order to feel engaged, so when someone they know starts a new lifestyle change, it often makes them aware of their own failings or insecurities (however founded or unfounded they may be). When I was in my lower teen years I suffered from anorexia. I was painfully thin and one of the most common comments I would get would be "if you think you're fat, what am I," which completely ignores the fact that EDs are about one's own insecurities, body dysmorphia and need for control, not one's absolute view of fat and thin (i.e. my ED was about my own mental problems, it wasn't that I thought everyone my size or bigger was fat). People will often take everything you do personally, even if it is not at all related to them or your view of them. Even now, when I recently announced I wanted to get more in shape and start eating healthy, I still have people telling me to stop, saying that they are more out of shape than I am and that they are fine. While they direct it at you, it's usually subconsciously directed at themselves. They might feel threatened that you are doing something they should be doing too and that you might judge them for it.
    With these people, I usually try not to bring up my new fitness journey. I know it makes them feel (unnecessarily) self conscious about themselves, so I try to divert conversation away from it to more positive things going on with them. I don't blame them either, there are many times someone has told me they are doing x, y, and z to better themselves and I get really self-conscious that I am not doing that myself.

2. Trying (and failing) to be helpful/supportive
    When I had my ED, people were always telling me I was too thin, or that I was thinner than them and they were a healthy weight, etc. Most of the time, thought it sounded mean to me, it wasn't intended to be. Sometimes people try to be supportive by telling you that you look fine the way you are, thinking that it's what you want to hear. A lot of people are lacking in tact or really don't know what to say to encourage you in your fitness goals. Before I started trying to improve my health, I saw my doctor and a nutritionist in order to monitor my progress and make sure I was maintaining healthy practices. Whenever someone tries to be "helpful and supportive" by telling me I don't need to eat healthy or work out, I simply tell them that I enjoy what I am doing and that my doctor and nutritionist both think what I am doing is great and not at all being done for unhealthy reasons.

3. Cultural Norms
    When I got to college I was about 125 lbs, with a low, but healthy BMI. I packed on about 15 lbs during my undergraduate career and ended up at about 140 lbs with a BMI of 21. I was definitely still at a healthy weight/BMI, but was looking to drop a few pounds and "tone up." I lived in the US and people were constantly telling me it was unnecessary and that I was thin enough already. Not long after, I moved to Switzerland, where it seems like nearly everyone my age was super svelte (in the city at least). When I recently told my friends about my intention to lose a few pounds and generally improve my fitness, all of them were encouraging and not one said anything about me being "thin enough." Obese and overweight people are so prevalent in the US, and "couch potatoes" so common, that we really lose sight of what is a "normal" weight range and what a healthy level of fitness looks like. With a BMI of 21 in the US, I was one of the thinnest people around, whereas here in Switzerland, I am definitely more "middle-of-the-road." There's no real way to correct for this and even I fall victim to it a lot. Girl that I would consider painfully thin in the US, I would consider active and fit here.

I think the moral of the story it that people need to understand that each person's weight loss/weight gain/fitness journey is their own. No one enter into it because of how they view others, but because of how they view themselves. Someone trying to get fit or lose weight doesn't mean they discount others for not doing the same thing. In addition, weight loss/gain is okay as long as the person is maintaining a healthy weight and/or not going to extremes with their diet.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I've received a few, generally from people who haven't seen me in a long time. I laugh long and loud at them, and direct the chat to how I got sick- sick and tired of most of the ladies drooling over all the buff actor de jour, so I decided to give those guys some competition. Mentally, I chalk it up to jealousy on their part.
  • tamisawyer
    tamisawyer Posts: 12
    Options
    Sounds like they're not your friends.
  • LindsNW05
    LindsNW05 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oh the best part is when the person who is giving you the negative comments is the one who told you that you needed to lose weight in the first place! My mom is always telling me "it's not healthy for you to be so overweight", "you really need to lose weight"... etc. Now that I am losing weight, and wanting to tell my mom about my exciting weight loss, she's just indifferent about it, like she doesn't even care that I am trying to get healthy. My brothers both lost a lot of weight, and they look great and she's very excited for them, and happy, but for me when I try to get healthy, it's just feigned happiness from her, "oh that's nice honey" and then a quick subject change.

Why is it that when men lose weight it's no big deal at all and people will compliment them until they are blue in the face about it, but when women lose weight, all we get are neg comments?