'don't-count' treats...

2»

Replies

• furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    I don't get in the mindset of "cheating" because I don't judge myself too harshly if I go over my calorie limit sometimes. I mean, nobody's really looking at it but you, so rather than rewarding and punishing yourself (especially with food), just get into the habit of logging and analyzing without the emotional connection.

also when you use treats to "cheat' it's like saying your healthy diet is somehow oppressive and undesirable, something to be escaped. It's better to log everything (though don't beat yourself up if you miss a day here and there, esp. once you really know how much of what you can eat) and work any treats you want into your regular diet. It really is possible (and that's from someone who nets around 1250-1400 cals a day on maintenance, and had to go as low as 1150 to drop a few pounds).

i mean it's sometimes tempting to do that: "I know i'm so much under today I'll just have this big hunk of cheese and not log it" or whatever, but at the rare times when i find myself doing that, it's like, well, who am I fooling, and why am I even thinking of it? The counting isn't meant to be oppressive or feel limiting, it's just a way of keeping track. It wouldn't really matter if I ate it or not, and when you get to the point where you know that intuitively (at the point where your healthy diet is really habit), there's less of that temptation.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i log EVERYTHING.... because i LOVE MFP!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    This was meant to be a lighthearted thread and now i'm pissed off lol

you got annoyed cos people didnt agree with you.... you obviously dont go on the forums much!!!

you do what works for you... other people do what works for them!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    This was meant to be a lighthearted thread and now i'm pissed off lol

you got annoyed cos people didnt agree with you.... you obviously dont go on the forums much!!!

you do what works for you... other people do what works for them!

no no, i don't care if they disagree, but i got pissed off where people start giving me advice and telling me i'm doing it wrong, because I'm sure as hell not ...for me :D

15kg down since Boxing Day WITH a crapped out thyroid and having had a big setback in the middle due to that is fine by me.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    I don't count white chocolate. Because I don't eat it.

I also CBF being meticulous logging differing things. IE, if sampling different ice cream flavours, I will not log "choc ice cream, .0000001.24 cup" "vanilla ice cream, 0.023045324g".
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    does anyone else do this? I don't eat back excercise calories but if I burn over 500 I let myself have one 'it doesn't have to go in the log' treat, like a cookie or an extra glass of wine or something because I know my defecit is still there. Kinda cheating without cheating.

Anyway it kinda works as an incentive for me to have decent workout sessions :)
    by not logging it the only person you're cheating is yourself. You're also giving yourself bad habits for the future if you start thinking that something doesn't matter because you've exercised its very easy for that to get worse so you assume you've exercised enough for such and such. IMO it's a matter of in the future when you're not calorie counting and maintaining your weight knowing that everything counts means you're more likely to be sensible with your eating rather than thinking something doesn't matter because you have exercised. I'm not saying you can't have treats now I just personally think you should log them so you learn there caloric value and worth within your daily diet.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    not logging will be lack of willpower.
    I don't want to go downhill back to bad habits.
  • deadbambi
    deadbambi Posts: 368
    I log every little thing. I find it makes it easier for me to keep track on how i'm doing. And to make myself aware of how bad some of the treats I used to eat really are!
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    I count everything. I could see it turning into a habit if I didn't.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    It's ok if you're still having a deficit I suppose but not ideal as you might get carried away with the treats. I can over-enjoy crisps if I didn't have to log them. :devil:
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Turn it into something fun.

Go to settings and make a meal category called 'HECK YEA TREAT' or whatever, and look forward to logging it down.

Dessert is my favorite thing to log.