Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    but I could see generic kayaking as not very intense.

Try 16-20 miles in a loaded sea boat, with tidal effects, and wind.

did you read anything else? B/c that was my initial comment of yeah I tend to mentally lump it into a cardio.

After a long day, and 16 miles would be about 4-5 hours, your core and hips would be feeling the impact. It's very much one of those combinations of CV and resistance.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Battle ropes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    but I could see generic kayaking as not very intense.

Try 16-20 miles in a loaded sea boat, with tidal effects, and wind.

I'm sure that's what the OP meant when he was talking about taking up kayaking.

Indeed, but even for a newbie, an hour scuffing about in a general purpose boat on flat water could be demanding, as long as it was maintained at a decent pace.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You'll be shocked at how weight lifting will help your running. I'm doing Insanity Asylum's Volume 1 right now and it's made me a faster runner in the time I've been doing it. I drip in sweat and there are a lot of fast movement in it. Definitely not your average "lifting" session.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'd be HIIT swimming in addition to HIIT runs mixed with calisthenics drills between sets.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    ze_hombre wrote: »
    I am training for a half marathon using Hal Higdon's plan and he recommends doing cross training every other day. I have been biking on those days or going for short fast runs on my treadmill due to weather. I think I would like to find something that has a bit more balance to it and does more upper body work. I feel like I am putting too much emphasis on my lower body and ignoring my chest and arms. Plus I am convinced whoever designs bike seats is a sadist.

The point of these cross training days is not to build strength so much as to build up the cardio system, so I don't want to do weight training. Not opposed, just not enough of a cardio workout IMO. I am looking for something that I can do sustained for at least an hour.

I have access to several lakes and rivers in my area, so I am thinking about getting into kayaking. I also have partial access to a pool so I could do laps (I have to pay $8 each visit and there isn't an option for a membership plus my wife has to go with me as its the university's rec center where she is a student. Its not ideal but doable).

Anyone have any other ideas for good upper body cardio exercises?

Are you sure about that? The point of cross training is not to do more cardio but to cross over into strength training.

Push ups and pull ups if you dont want to lift weights.

• sportypantsgirl
    Options
    Hi, I really like this site : http://www.fitnessblender.com/ , you can find full video work outs based on your level, preferences, etc , I'm using this site for a last few weeks and really looove it! , no needs to go and pay for a gym ;)
    here is what I found for upperbody cardio - http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/full-length-workouts/?str=&time_min=&time_max=&cal_min=&cal_max=&body_focus[]=36&type[]=3f&type[]=38 , have a look :)