Training like an athlete but results like a couch potato!

Options
13»

Replies

• ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Edit: Nevermind
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    use this calculator:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

imo:
    for #5: pick 5-6 hours / strenuous.
    for #6 select 15%/weight loss. 20% at the absolute max, but really, 15%.
    for #8, they're all pretty similar. go with Mifflin (based on other threads i've read)
    leave calibration factor empty.

if you know your body fat%, enter it.

Scroll down for 3 numbers:

1) BMR - how many calories you'd burn if you were in a hospital bed all day
    2) TDEE - how many calories you need to maintain weight, based on your chosen activity level, etc.
    3) Goal Calories - based on that 15% reduction you entered earlier, this is how you actually lose weight.

And... now you have a number. Is it right? Depends on your body. But it's a start. If you are ridiculously good at keeping to that exact goal, you could then use the calibration factor after a month to get even more personalized results, but i can't imagine anyone being that exact. So... just use it as a guide. If you're losing about the amount of weight per month (not per week, too short to tell) you want, you're on the right track.

i found i was eating at least 500 calories less than i should be.

Re: Supplements. They are worth the money if they help you get through your exercise as placebos and if you don't mind if they might not have any actual effect. Some might. Some certainly don't. But if the action of taking them gets your head straight, then imo they're worth the money. Once you get into your routine and are sticking to a diet/exercise regime phase them out. I think some things, like electrolyte replacement, are definitely important. But 'fad' chemicals/natural ingredients are far less likely to actually be anything.

Based on that it says I should eat 2331 for TDEE. Honestly, I don't think that is physically possible for me. Does that amount sound right?

Yes that sounds about right. Now eat 1864 calories a day. (Thats TDEE -20%). When you calculated your TDEE I assume you included all your exercise? If you did then just eat that amount daily and keep exercising. On this method if you use MFP to track exercise either ignore the extra exercise calories or give yourself 1 calorie for the exercise. If you chose lightly active when calculating your TDEE then eat back your exercise calories so enter them as accurately as you can! Make sense?
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    use this calculator:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

imo:
    for #5: pick 5-6 hours / strenuous.
    for #6 select 15%/weight loss. 20% at the absolute max, but really, 15%.
    for #8, they're all pretty similar. go with Mifflin (based on other threads i've read)
    leave calibration factor empty.

if you know your body fat%, enter it.

Scroll down for 3 numbers:

1) BMR - how many calories you'd burn if you were in a hospital bed all day
    2) TDEE - how many calories you need to maintain weight, based on your chosen activity level, etc.
    3) Goal Calories - based on that 15% reduction you entered earlier, this is how you actually lose weight.

And... now you have a number. Is it right? Depends on your body. But it's a start. If you are ridiculously good at keeping to that exact goal, you could then use the calibration factor after a month to get even more personalized results, but i can't imagine anyone being that exact. So... just use it as a guide. If you're losing about the amount of weight per month (not per week, too short to tell) you want, you're on the right track.

i found i was eating at least 500 calories less than i should be.

Re: Supplements. They are worth the money if they help you get through your exercise as placebos and if you don't mind if they might not have any actual effect. Some might. Some certainly don't. But if the action of taking them gets your head straight, then imo they're worth the money. Once you get into your routine and are sticking to a diet/exercise regime phase them out. I think some things, like electrolyte replacement, are definitely important. But 'fad' chemicals/natural ingredients are far less likely to actually be anything.

Based on that it says I should eat 2331 for TDEE. Honestly, I don't think that is physically possible for me. Does that amount sound right?

Yes that sounds about right. Now eat 1864 calories a day. (Thats TDEE -20%). When you calculated your TDEE I assume you included all your exercise? If you did then just eat that amount daily and keep exercising. On this method if you use MFP to track exercise either ignore the extra exercise calories or give yourself 1 calorie for the exercise. If you chose lightly active when calculating your TDEE then eat back your exercise calories so enter them as accurately as you can! Make sense?

Yes 100% makes sense now. Hm. I would have no choice but to increase my fat content to get that amount calories. HELLLOOOO HUMMUS and YOGURT. lol
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm not expert, but after a cursory review of several days of your food journal, my first question is, what is your BMR? I'm 5'6" and only weigh a few pounds more than you do right now (about 3), and my BMR is just under 1400. I'm breastfeeding a 10-mo, so I need to add another 300 calories, and I eat back most of my exercise calories, so most days I eat almost 2000 calories.

You're not breastfeeding, so you probably need at least 1500 calories minimum (educated guess here), plus more if you're exercising. Do some research on TDEE. If you are eating below your BMR, you will not lose weight. Your body will go into starvation mode and slow down your metabolism. I knew a lady (she was obese) who didn't get hunger pangs, so she would get busy and forget to eat. When she started eating regularly, she would start losing weight.

I think you've got a great workout routine, and for the most part, I think you're doing fine with the diet (except for not getting enough calories). I'm vegetarian too, and I am not one of those "must get enough protein" people. If you eat a variety, you'll get enough. And you're not heavy lifting, which, IMO, is the one big reason to really up your protein. But yeah, just eat some more! You might gain a pound or two, but once your body gets out of starvation mode, your metabolism will speed up and you'll start losing steadily again.
  • joleenl
    Options
    When I did TDEE for myself I picked light activity so I don't add house cleaning, and shopping as exercise but everything else I log as exercise. So I end up eating way more on exercise days. I prefer this method but both do work. I am 35, 176.6lbs, 5'7 with a desk job. I eat 1550 calories on non-exercise days (which is -20% of my lightly active TDEE) then I eat back most of my exercise calories.

Don't forget to recalculate your TDEE every 5-10lbs lost! AND Be patient, it might take a couple weeks for your body to adjust.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Also please remember ...Initially you MIGHT gain weight / stay the same .........I personally didn't but I have read that others did using the TDEE method.....patience is the key.
  • Kpablo
    Options
    I'm not expert, but after a cursory review of several days of your food journal, my first question is, what is your BMR? I'm 5'6" and only weigh a few pounds more than you do right now (about 3), and my BMR is just under 1400. I'm breastfeeding a 10-mo, so I need to add another 300 calories, and I eat back most of my exercise calories, so most days I eat almost 2000 calories.

You're not breastfeeding, so you probably need at least 1500 calories minimum (educated guess here), plus more if you're exercising. Do some research on TDEE. If you are eating below your BMR, you will not lose weight. Your body will go into starvation mode and slow down your metabolism. I knew a lady (she was obese) who didn't get hunger pangs, so she would get busy and forget to eat. When she started eating regularly, she would start losing weight.

I think you've got a great workout routine, and for the most part, I think you're doing fine with the diet (except for not getting enough calories). I'm vegetarian too, and I am not one of those "must get enough protein" people. If you eat a variety, you'll get enough. And you're not heavy lifting, which, IMO, is the one big reason to really up your protein. But yeah, just eat some more! You might gain a pound or two, but once your body gets out of starvation mode, your metabolism will speed up and you'll start losing steadily again.

Thank you for your input. I concur with you as well as everyone else I need to increase my caloric intake.

I am 5'2".
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    A little advise. If you do decide to change your calorie intake (say you decide to move to a TDEE -20% method), please understand that for the first month of that change you body will instinctively gain weight until it is acclimated to the new level of calories. Sometimes it really discourages people and they come back and say "I changed to TDEE method and now I'm gaining"...you will at first, because your body is use to operating on much less, it will convert the "new" surplus to fat until it acclimates.
  • Kpablo
    Options
    Patience! Eek. One thing I am horrible with but I am working on. Not just in fitness either.

Thanks all! I really like the way this thread turned out and has been very helpful.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Patience! Eek. One thing I am horrible with but I am working on. Not just in fitness either.

Thanks all! I really like the way this thread turned out and has been very helpful.

It's why I don't usually recommend people to jump to a TDEE method...I usually recommend people up their intake in 100 calorie daily increments (so the shock doesn't devour their ambition)...also, alot of people find they can stop somewhere in the middle of what mfp suggests and their actual TDEE, but each person is different.

Do what you are comfortable with, and whichever you decide, stick with it at least 1-2 months before you make any additional changes. Changing ONE thing at a time is what will let you "dial" in your body the best.
  • joleenl
    Options

I'm actually really surprised on how this thread went. I only suggested getting out my popcorn because typically "the fitness buffs" in the forums usually eat anyone and everyone alive either aren't that don't eat enough and/or take diet supplements. I had my share of negativity from "the fitness buffs." However, having said that about "the fitness buffs" tend to give very good advice underneath their crude bluntness.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd take a shot at your comment (not sure if it was answered) about 10% fat. That reminds me of the Eat More Weigh Less book by Dr. Dean Ornish. I think the book is good, but it's not perfect. I eat anywhere from 20-35% fat in my diet, and I get pretty close to what I need to with protein (if you accept my friend request, you'll be able to see my food diary).

From what I understand, carbs fuel cardio and protein fuels strength training. This is probably overly simplistic, but in a nutshell, that's what it's about. I eat an energy bar before my workouts that has about 19 carbs and 2 g of protein (and 2 of fat--I could be wrong on the numbers, but you can look at my diary to check). However, I'm doing mostly cardio. I am toying with the idea of lifting sometime, if we can get some good weights, and at that point, I would probably add a protein shake or something, because I simply cannot get more than about 60-70 g of protein in my diet without completely overhauling it (not practical right now).

I joined MFP about 3 weeks ago. In that time, I've lost several pounds (my ticker isn't accurate--I weighted myself during the day and recorded that, and it wouldn't let me change it the next morning). What I'm doing is working. I'm getting stronger. I can feel it. My endurance is good. I've lost about a pound a week in the last two weeks, and I don't feel hungry once my caloric needs have been met.

Fat keeps you full longer. Exactly what your balance of fat should be will depend on your needs. It's true that fat takes fewer calories to store than carbs or protein, which is why lowering it will help you lose weight. Eating too much protein (especially animal sources) isn't ealthy--and I know most people will argue this point, but as one vegetarian to another, please know it's okay. You probably need 40-60 g of protein for how you're training. If you were doing heavy weights, you would definitely need more. But don't worry about the 30/30/40 or whatever that is. You can go to My Home > Goals > Change Goals and adjust the percentages of your macros (that's carbs, protein, and fat).

Just thinking about it, I'm guessing that you have been trying to keep your carbs AND fat down, and since you aren't eating tons of protein, that might be why you have been not getting enough calories. If it were me, I'd not worry about the carbs. I mean, make sure they are healthy and all that (whole grains are far superior to white anything, and fiber is a carb but doesn't get digested so it can be subtracted from the total carbs to get net carbs). I just checked, and your fiber is low. You might try to figure out how to get more of it. Beans are a good way. They have good carbs, lots of protein, and lots of fiber. Triple whammy right there! Especially black

So I guess now you need to try some things and see what happens. :) Oh, and keep up with the workouts. You're doing awesome!
  • cton13
    cton13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I did TDEE for myself I picked light activity so I don't add house cleaning, and shopping as exercise but everything else I log as exercise. So I end up eating way more on exercise days. I prefer this method but both do work. I am 35, 176.6lbs, 5'7 with a desk job. I eat 1550 calories on non-exercise days (which is -20% of my lightly active TDEE) then I eat back most of my exercise calories.

Don't forget to recalculate your TDEE every 5-10lbs lost! AND Be patient, it might take a couple weeks for your body to adjust.

Helpful Helpful!!! Awesome advice:smile: