Ladies - Birth control and weight gain!

Options
Hello ladies,

I'm looking into going on birth control and am terrified of putting on weight from it. My doc recommended Nuva Ring but after reading some articles, weight gain seems to be associated with this one, as well as the pill. Any suggestions???

Replies

• Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Ive been on NuvaRing for about 3 years now......... Its the only form of birth control that I have NOT gained weight on..... I absolutley love it (no you can NOT feel it when its in) and its only akward the first time taking it out. IT is by far the best invention in BC in my opinion..... I cant reccomend it highly enough! Its worth a try!!! :)
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    pretty simple dont start eating more. A lot of the gain associated with the pill is caused by an appetite increase. As long as you continue to watch what you eat and dont give into the cravings you should be fine. I too am just starting a new pill and t his is what the dr told me.
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been on Apri and the only weight I gained was from eating burgers for dinner everyday and laying around. In other words, Apri did not cause my weight gain. I've been able to lose 22 lbs while on it. It also regulates my period, severely decreased the intensity of my cramps and I haven't had a pimple in years. In other words, it's been a dream come true :laugh:
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    i have mirena and i havent gained weight from it the only side effect ive had is after being on it for awhile my period pretty much went away which is great lol

edited to say this yr marks the 4th yr ive had it
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I take Microgestin which is a low dose pill and I don't believe there's been any weight gain associated with it for me. However, last year I took Seasonique for three weeks and gained five pounds. Bam. Just like that.

Oh and I seriously don't recall a drastic change in my eating habits at that time. So no idea where the five pounds came from. But they weren't water weight.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on the mini pill and have no issues with weight gain. It hasn't affected my loss, either.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Pill (Levalin) and let me tell you... I could eat continuously and never be hungry. I was off it for a few months and got back on it about 6 weeks ago and really noticed my appetite increased. Eat more --> weight gain. That's why some people have issues.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You know what really causes weight gain?

Pregnancy.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Instead of you wearing a bullet proof vest, make him unload the gun -

men can use a contraceptive pill as well :)
  • Scorchy
    Scorchy Posts: 12
    Options
    I've never gained wait from birth control and I've used a variety of types over the years.
  • jsbieniek
    jsbieniek Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have been on Depo Provera for years. I'm told it causes weight gain, may be why I'm here, but I doubt it. I don't think any of them cause gain in and of themselves, it's what you do along with it! I've lost almost 40 pounds and I'm still on it so it certainly hasn't kept me from losing. Good luck!
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Total myth. Besides, would you rather have a baby when you aren't ready for one or take the birth control and not worry? There are plenty on the market so your doctor can always adjust accordingly
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    i have mirena and i havent gained weight from it the only side effect ive had is after being on it for awhile my period pretty much went away which is great lol

Pretty much word for word me. If you haven't had children before it hurts like the ****ens to be put in though. So worth it.
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    When I started Yaz, I gained about 5 pounds. it messes with your hormones, so there's really nothing you can do about it.
  • bermudamel
    bermudamel Posts: 212
    Options
    I could never tell w/the pill I was on for about 9 years whether or not i gained because i was eating 100000 calories a day (ok maybe i'm exaggerating a little) and just gained in general but I have the depo shot now because of horrible bleeding problems and I've noticed it takes me longer to lose but I am losing. They weigh me every time at the dr office too just to make sure
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options

This is me. I've had one since May 2007 and had it replaced with a new one last year. I love it. At most I have about a half day period. And I don't have to remember do anything!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    not everyone puts on weight - i certainly did though. i'm sterilised now but if you're not ready for such a drastic step, why not get fitted for a diaphram?
  • katrinaevening
    katrinaevening Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    All of the BC's out ther have some sort of problems. I'm using ortho micronor (progesterone only). I love it because w/o estrogen I have less mood swings (yay!) Good luck finding the right one for you!
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    I am actually getting ready to go BACK on BC to try and help me with weight loss...then again, I have a hormone imbalance that we believe is causing an issue.

Just remember, food is YOUR choice...if you find you are constantly hungry, make sure you are choosing the correct foods and spread it out over the course of the day, as with anything else. I lost 35 lbs being on BC before my wedding so...
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options

Pretty much word for word me. If you haven't had children before it hurts like the ****ens to be put in though. So worth it.

normally they wont give it to you unless youve had a child. ive had one so i qualified here.....it was uncomfortable but once i left i was fine and no problems since im glad i got it