Ladies - Birth control and weight gain!

Options

Replies

• berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I took the pill for a couple years while on accutane, and although I would love to attribute my weight gain to it, it was simultaneous to completing my bachelor's degree. Yup, lots of junk and unhealthy lifestyle going on there. I've stopped the pill for a few months and started eating right and working out, I'm terrified to start on it again now that I've started to lose weight ><
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I forget the name of the pill i'm on, so once I get home I will let you know. But, I've been on the pill since about 2006 I think, and it hasn't affected my weight. Only my binging has. Plus, the pill I have is free!

I like the pill because it works, it's just annoying to have to take it everyday. But, that's the point lol.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have used all but IUD type birth controls, irregardless I found that I both gained on lost on all types, it was my 'cravings' or 'need to feed', take it as you will, that made me gain and lose. I found it easier to scarf a plate of food when on any kind of BC in comparison to being off of it.

I am currently using the shot, Depo Provera, and have done so for years. I managed to both lose and gain weight and it was all according to exercise and dietary habits. If you have good will power and are good at committing to a healthy lifestyle/diet then you will have no problems that I could see.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    i have mirena and i havent gained weight from it the only side effect ive had is after being on it for awhile my period pretty much went away which is great lol

edited to say this yr marks the 4th yr ive had it

This is me. I've had one since May 2007 and had it replaced with a new one last year. I love it. At most I have about a half day period. And I don't have to remember do anything!
    when they put me on the pill with in day 3 my throat swelled and i broke out in hives ya that wasnt fun....then along came our son who is now 4 i got the mirena about 4months after i had him
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    i dont know anything about the iud's, but just keep an eye on your body when you do go on something.

i was on loestrin and switched to microgestin... the microgestin caused some major blood sugar issues, as in caused my a1c to jump .8 points right into the diabetic range within 3 months, completely unexpected. so went back to loestrin, which come to find out was causing triglyceride issues itsself (150 pt drop when stopped this one). So I quit them all together.

So the side effects are real, they just affect each person individually as far as how intense they are
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    This is why we practice "pull-out" ;) But that works out only if you're in a committed relationship and don't exactly mind the possibility of an accident.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've only been using the Nuvaring for a very short while but have lost 3lbs still haha
  • penelopia
    penelopia Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill almost a year and would not place any of the blame of my weight gain on it, at worst it makes me retain water a little more
  • calaz84
    calaz84 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was on the ortho tri cyclen for 13 years never gained weight and had no issues with loosing weight.

But I got off a lil over a year ago and gained 30lbs and I didn't change my food and was still working out!! Now I'm finally loosing weight it just depends on your body everybody is different!!
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It depends on each individual. I was on the depo for 4 years and remained 95 lbs. When I got off I gained 25 :embarassed: I'm back on it now.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Instead of you wearing a bullet proof vest, make him unload the gun -

men can use a contraceptive pill as well :)

I was under the impression that they still haven't approved a male BCP?
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You may have to try a few different ones to find the one that works best for you. I am on the Alesse right now and I choose that one after much trial and error. It has the least weight gain and is most generally recommended for use while trying to lose weight. But you will have to figure out what works for you.
    I tried the depo shot to get rid of my period all together and I gained 30lbs in 3 weeks and bled straight for 3 months! My girlfriend got it and every time she got a shot she lost 10lbs and had no period. She ended up weighing 110lbs I ended up weighing 150. So the way BC effects each of us is totally different! You just have figure out which one works for you.
  • rmontpetit
    rmontpetit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    As per my Doc and many Friends with different result. it is not on particular kind of birth control you use that make gain weight. But how your body respond to it. I lost weight when i started to use the pill... a friend with the same pill gain weight. Ask around your familly (génétically related) how they reacted to birth control. you are more alike to react like them...
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I've been on the shot, Depo-Provera for a 2 years and a half.
    I think it caused my appetite to increase dramatically.
    I don't think it was a direct cause of my weight gain, I think myself overeating and being inactive was the exact cause of my weight gain.
    Instead of monitoring what I ate and how much I ate, I listen to my hormones telling me I must eat EVERYTHING IN SIGHT... lol! which was a bad idea.
    On a different note, form personal experience, most everyone I know, that has been on the shot, has gained weight. Anywhere from 15-75pounds. But again, I know ladies that didn't gain anything because they tracked what they ate religiously.
    That being said, my weight loss hasn't been stalled of halted because of the shot either, just got my re-fill on Saturday and still losing steadily.
    Good luck! :drinker:

ETA: I've been period free most of the time I've been on Depo, which is a HUUUGGGE plus.
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Instead of you wearing a bullet proof vest, make him unload the gun -

men can use a contraceptive pill as well :)

I was under the impression that they still haven't approved a male BCP?

That's what I thought!!! But.... Where can I find them if they are approved and legal to use!?
    It would be glourious to drop my birth control. :laugh:
  • RCMPWannaBe
    RCMPWannaBe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Anything that alters your estrogen and progesterone is likely to react in some ways. I've tried Yasmin and Seasonale (which I'm on right now), and don't particularly recall gaining weight on either, or losing any weight after I've been off Seasonale for a while.

That being said, it's all about how your body reacts. My body might react differently from yours. Sometimes you just have to do a bit of trial and error. :)
  • sharonmunday90
    sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have the copper iud so no hormone at all
  • RCMPWannaBe
    RCMPWannaBe Posts: 84 Member
    Options

IUDs are great if you've already had kids, too! But it seems most doctors are reluctant to put one in if you haven't given birth.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    No one can provide you with any insight. Go with one that offers the best protection with the lowest risk of heart issues / blood clots. Weight gain is entirely up to the individual. Nothing anyone can say will help inform your choices. Everyone's body is so different. Also, there are already thousands of threads about this, for your research. But honestly, it makes no difference. You really just have to try and see.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

IUDs are great if you've already had kids, too! But it seems most doctors are reluctant to put one in if you haven't given birth.

I feel like this is a cultural / geographic thing. Where I live, doctors dont seem reluctant at all.