Do you use the gym showers?

Options

Replies

• SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Or do you go back to work or go run errands without a gym shower? I do, I have never used a gym shower. I always wait till I get home no matter what. I don't think I would even feel clean after a gym shower. Ha!

I do. The gym is about 2 minutes from work. If I were to go home and shower, and then go to work, I would lose 30 minutes of workout time.

Going to work without a shower is not an option as when I burn, I drip with sweat.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    Absolutely. And because most people Don't use them, they are always empty and clean. Why use my water when I am already paying to use theirs?

This is another consideration. The water is also really hot. I can take a nice long hot shower for as long as I want to relax my sore muscles, and not directly think about how much the water bill and gasa bill are goign to be affected by it.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    for those who do use the gym showers. do you carry around a wet towel all day? doesn't it get mildewy?

I hang mine over the back car seat (CRV) to dry as soon as I leave the gym. Take it out when I get home later in the day.
  • danimarshall410
    Options
    I dont use gym showers but I go straight home and shower.
    Seriously, sweating at the gym then spending the rest of the day in work? That's pretty icky.
  • Nocardio23
    Nocardio23 Posts: 58
    Options
    the gym i go to has mixed showers so everyone is there, if you're not there it's assumed u like the same sex
  • TonyMJ84
    TonyMJ84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I dont use gym showers but I go straight home and shower.
    Seriously, sweating at the gym then spending the rest of the day in work? That's pretty icky.

When I go back to work I only do a 30 min quick workout. I work in an office with a bunch of dudes and only like three ladies. I don't care what they think but I do make sure to dry up with my towel and add more deo. It works for me!
  • kowfred
    kowfred Posts: 19
    Options
    I work out at night so I can shower at home. I never never ever never ever use public showers, between MRSA and stuff, but I am germ phobic.
  • JacobK254
    JacobK254 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No, i don't want to punish other people.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    for those who do use the gym showers. do you carry around a wet towel all day? doesn't it get mildewy?

I hang mine over the back car seat (CRV) to dry as soon as I leave the gym. Take it out when I get home later in the day.

that makes sense. in addition to the room full of unsupervised children thing i brought up earlier i also don't shower at the gym because i don't want to have to carry around a wet towel. having a car to put things in make a difference i think. i don't drive and already i'm lugging a bag with gym clothes and shoes in it on the bus and walk of my commute. i can't imagine having to add in a wet towel (or dry one for that matter) and carry that around too.
  • TonyMJ84
    Options

that makes sense. in addition to the room full of unsupervised children thing i brought up earlier i also don't shower at the gym because i don't want to have to carry around a wet towel. having a car to put things in make a difference i think. i don't drive and already i'm lugging a bag with gym clothes and shoes in it on the bus and walk of my commute. i can't imagine having to add in a wet towel (or dry one for that matter) and carry that around too.

That could be a after workout workout with all those things you haul around.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I would never, ever use the gym shower. Sometimes when I have to take a leak I'll go into the bathroom and the vibe in there is depressing. There is no greater comfort than showering and getting ready at home. Are peoples' gyms closer to their work than their home? I don't get that. Make time to shower at home. It wouldn't even save me time or be convenient. I'd have to pack my shaver, soap, loofah, face wash, butt scrubber... and that's just for the shower. Then there's all the other crap afterward (toner, coconut oil, baking soda for my armpits, jojoba oil moisturizer, etc etc). That would be a huge step backwards. There's no vanity in the men's locker room. Where am I going to put all my #@$@? And to top it all off, you want me to do all that in a room with a bunch of other lame dudes? I would rather not shower at all and go about my day with not a single damn given. I don't stink anyway because I don't eat nasty animal products that produce stank *kitten* sweat like the average guy in there who needs to shower before work. You can take all the showers you want but if you drink coffee and eat turkey sandwiches with mayo, you are probably going to stink again by 12pm anyway. You lose. No disrespect but other guys are digusting to me. The average guy takes a 5 min shower, puts on deodorant, gets dressed, combs their boring hair and then leaves. That doesn't cut it for me. You gotta get your Patrick Bateman on.
  • iysys
    Options
    I would never, ever use the gym shower. Sometimes when I have to take a leak I'll go into the bathroom and the vibe in there is depressing. There is no greater comfort than showering and getting ready at home. Are peoples' gyms closer to their work than their home? I don't get that. Make time to shower at home. It wouldn't even save me time or be convenient. I'd have to pack my shaver, soap, loofah, face wash, butt scrubber... and that's just for the shower. Then there's all the other crap afterward (toner, coconut oil, baking soda for my armpits, jojoba oil moisturizer, etc etc). That would be a huge step backwards. There's no vanity in the men's locker room. Where am I going to put all my #@$@? And to top it all off, you want me to do all that in a room with a bunch of other lame dudes? I would rather not shower at all and go about my day with not a single damn given. I don't stink anyway because I don't eat nasty animal products that produce stank *kitten* sweat like the average guy in there who needs to shower before work. You can take all the showers you want but if you drink coffee and eat turkey sandwiches with mayo, you are probably going to stink again by 12pm anyway. You lose. No disrespect but other guys are digusting to me. The average guy takes a 5 min shower, puts on deodorant, gets dressed, combs their boring hair and then leaves. That doesn't cut it for me. You gotta get your Patrick Bateman on.

that's another reason to my list. i would never in a million years be seen out in public without my hair done and my makeup on. there is no way i am going to wash my makeup off and wash, dry, and restyle my hair so i can ride the bus home. i'll stick with blotting away my sweat while i work out touching things up and heading out the door home.

and yes i do have makeup on when i get to the gym. yes i do work my butt off and sweat while i am there. and yes i do still have makeup on when i leave. wipe don't blot and it'll stay in place if it is good quality product properly applied.
  • HoneyPie99
    HoneyPie99 Posts: 72
    Options
    Way too many germ a phoebes...If you need a shower take one just wear flip flops.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    No. Never. I like the privacy of my own shower.
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    5 second rinse to not feel funky but flip flops a must!!
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I do, actually. For some reason, nobody else does, so it's nice having the room all to myself and minimize chances of getting nakey-peeked at. :s

Also, I put my kid in the gym daycare, so I take advantage of the extra free time to shower in peace, instead of showering at home and having the baby trying to get in with me, or crying and pounding on the door or getting into trouble elsewhere in the house. (Moms all over the worlds can relate. :wink: )

Been there done that don't blame you!!
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am shocked!

Of course I shower after I workout. My work is an hour away from home, so if I workout at lunchtime, I can't go home to shower before going back to work. And there is NO WAY I could go back to work without showering - yuck. I am a sweaty, stinky mess after I workout. My gym has towels, but even if a gym doesn't, I'll bring one and it's only damp for a couple of hours then I wash it when I get home. If some random girl at the gym wants to look at me naked, well I guess that's that, but I can't imagine that anybody does. Everybody else there is there to workout, change and get back to work.
  • iysys
    Options
    folks who workout at lunch, how long of a lunch break do you get? what is your gym routine? i can't imagine how one would get to the gym, get in a good workout, shower, dry my hair, put my makeup on, get dressed, and get back to work all in the course of a lunch break. i'm very intrigued.

eta - also, where do you fit eating lunch into your lunch break?
  • TonyMJ84
    Options
    folks who workout at lunch, how long of a lunch break do you get? what is your gym routine? i can't imagine how one would get to the gym, get in a good workout, shower, dry my hair, put my makeup on, get dressed, and get back to work all in the course of a lunch break. i'm very intrigued.

Its easier for a guy I guess. I have a gym close by so I just drive back and forth quickly with a 30-40 min workout in between.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I always shower.

I work out before and / or after work, for at least 2 hours, and I get really sweaty. After going to the gym I either go to work or get on public transport to go home.

I am not afraid of being naked in the locker room, in fact I am a lot less self conscious since starting with the gym. My gym showers are ok, but I still wear flip flops. I have a locker where I keep a 2nd set of toiletries, my gym supplies towels, and they wash my kit (they have an onsite laundry). The only gym kit I carry is my I-pod and squash racket.

I can understand not showering if you are going to jump in your car to go home or can walk home, but its not an option for me.