Replies

• njgal77
    njgal77 Posts: 6
    Options
    one day at a time
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent without a second though. You've got EXACTLY the right attitude about this and you are inspiring just from the start!
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You can do this! You can even have a burrito or 3 on the way down. You just have to weigh or measure every item, log those suckers, and stay within your calorie goals. I'm down almost a 50 pound sack of feed. ;) Good luck! Don't quit. Also there is NOTHING wrong with having a "fool your body" day every once in a while as long as you go right back to eating within your calorie goals the next day.
  • InstantKarma24
    InstantKarma24 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Request sent
  • newGeorge
    newGeorge Posts: 22
    Options
    Welcome aboard and best of luck to you! I dealt with a lot of the same issues and would love to offer support or help if you'd like to add me.

My advice as you're starting off is to set mini goals and don't weigh yourself everyday...do it once a week or so. daily weight fluctuations can be very frustrating and often led me to week long (or often longer) binge / i don't even care anymore phases.

If you haven't yet, take plenty of "Before" pics and measurements... you'll wish you had them later when you're a couple hundred lbs slimmer!
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love your attitude! I'm proud of you already. KICK SOME BUTT!!
  • skinnylady2014
    skinnylady2014 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hello , PatWhaley! Welcome aboard! Love your sense of humor!

I am new here too, today being my 25th day. This is a great site with lots of good supportive friends !
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    You are truly fantastic, my friend.
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    love it! glad we are already friends :)
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I believe you CAN do it. It will be hard, you will want to give up a few times. But don't. But then also keep in mind, you ARE allowed a break every now and then. As long as that break isn't permanent. I sometimes take a full day or two off from logging. As long as I am in the mindset that I will come back, and so far I have. Don't burn yourself out, if you feel like you need a break take a meal off or a day off. That doesn't mean you have to eat whatever the heck you want, but just don't worry so much about the calorie count for that meal or day. I suspect that not to happen for a few months in, though. I think what has kept me going for as long as I have is allowing myself small breaks.

Sending a friend request your way :). Anyone else, feel free to add me. I started with a total of 90-100 pounds to lose and I am half way there.
  • charlenequinn94
    Options
    First things first, I sent you a friend request. I have decided it is alright to have a cheat day once in a while. But, I am also finding with the healthier eating and exercise I am sleeping better and my good moods last longer into my day.
  • TheSwoleMinister_deleted
    Options
    Just remember, it is simple, but difficult. Your body will throw temper tantrums and you will have cravings and you will "lose motivation" (which really means your mood will change). So what? You eat less, you move more. It works whether you are in the mood or not, whether you believe in it or not. All you have to do is DO IT. It helps me to deal with cravings to remember that my body is a toddler. Yours is too. Seriously. It's a toddler. What it REALLY wants is vibrant health. It doesn't remember what that feels like. But it DOES remember that last sugar and fat filled food fueled dopamine rush. So it asks for that. And it asks for that persistently. That's what a craving is. It's your body's temper tantrum asking for the cheap imitation of health that is the only thing it can think of to fulfill that longing deep inside. Your body is a toddler. Treat it like one: give it firm limits, lots of love, a healthy routine, plenty of healthy fluids, and the right kind of fuel to build and maintain itself. You wouldn't give your two year old soda and a candy bar just to get him to shut the hell up for a few minutes, so don't do it to yourself.

^^^ This is freakin awesome. Like, no joke. Wham.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, you're awesome! Sending a request.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Just remember, it is simple, but difficult. Your body will throw temper tantrums and you will have cravings and you will "lose motivation" (which really means your mood will change). So what? You eat less, you move more. It works whether you are in the mood or not, whether you believe in it or not. All you have to do is DO IT. It helps me to deal with cravings to remember that my body is a toddler. Yours is too. Seriously. It's a toddler. What it REALLY wants is vibrant health. It doesn't remember what that feels like. But it DOES remember that last sugar and fat filled food fueled dopamine rush. So it asks for that. And it asks for that persistently. That's what a craving is. It's your body's temper tantrum asking for the cheap imitation of health that is the only thing it can think of to fulfill that longing deep inside. Your body is a toddler. Treat it like one: give it firm limits, lots of love, a healthy routine, plenty of healthy fluids, and the right kind of fuel to build and maintain itself. You wouldn't give your two year old soda and a candy bar just to get him to shut the hell up for a few minutes, so don't do it to yourself.

Great post. Thanks. Especially this:
    "It works whether you are in the mood or not, whether you believe in it or not."
    I needed to hear that. When I'm just not feeling it, I feel like a failure even if I'm still working it. So dumb. It's not magic. I'm not cursing my ability to lose weight by not embracing every workout or egg beaters breakfast with stars in my eyes.
  • sheshappynow
    sheshappynow Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    sending a request...you have the right mind set to do this. This is the best site I've ever found that is actually working for me.
  • stacw1987
    stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome! :)

I think your very brave and you have taken that first step! It is very hard to loose weight and unfortunately very easy to put it on! My only bit of advise to you would be 1. Make sure you stick to your calories and log everything even if it means you have had a bad day and 2. It might be worth hiring professional help to give you that extra push and motivation! As someone said before you will feel like giving up and you will feel like its to hard but maybe having a good support system in place (us) and a personal trainer will give you that extra motivation you need!

I wish you the best of luck! :)
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sent a friend request. I love your attitude! Regardless of how much any of us have to lose, this is a battle we can all fight together!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Haha I like your attitude!!!

You'd like my tagline, it's - "As long as you try again there's no such thing as failure, just speed bumps."

You've only TRULY failed once you decide not to try again, until then, you're just hitting pitfalls and potholes and speedbumps along your way to victory.

It's all about calories consumed versus calories burned. I use a BodyMedia BodyBugg to track my total calories burned, and I add the numbers up over the course of a month. I also add up all the calories I've eaten over the course of a month. Then as long as I have a DEFICIT instead of a SURPLUS, then I'm doing it right!

The other way to find your total calories burned is http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ <-- that's the website I used before I bought this little funky techy thing. (weeee technology! :P )

Anyways what I really wanted to say is that... the biggest part of this change takes place IN YOUR MIND. And it sounds like you are really on the right track to getting your mind in the right place.

There are foods that you could eat regularly and there are activities you could engage in and lifestyle choices around you that you could partake in... but you are making a decision to pass them by because they are not for you. Those things are not in line with who you want to be. You'll say goodbye to regular stops at the burrito place, MAYBE even say goodbye to those burritos altogether, at some point, because despite the fact that they are there and they are tasty, they are not for you.

You are choosing to let go of those types of instant gratification to reach forward into your future for greater experiences in your life.

You don't have to starve yourself, you don't have to be miserable. You are a work in progress, and you will keep working and working and working. You will be sad sometimes, you will be happy other times, but overall, you will be moving forward, learning, and improving. Sometimes you'll take a step back. But that's okay. You drive forward again.

The blog feature here on MFP has been a HUGE help to me - I encourage you to use that and write how you're feeling and what you're thinking. I just call my blog posts "Journal Entries" and yea... it's just made a big difference for me.

You're on the right track!! Best of luck to you!!! :D
  • ladydy911
    ladydy911 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Add me please! I started off at 480 4 years ago am at 340 now, still ALOT to loose but I WILL GET THERE!!!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Hey man welcome to the family! You've def got the right attitude :laugh: Good luck to you man I'll be waiting to see your success story on the boards :flowerforyou: