Need help figuring out your TDEE? Get a Fitbit.

Options

Replies

• srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Okay, so today I rollerbladed with my FitBit and my HRM. When I got home, I logged my exercise calories burned from my HRM through MFP so when it synced with the FitBit's website it shows up in my Logged Activities. But I also added it in my Activity Log on the FitBit's website. Does that mean it's in there twice? Should I delete one of them? Is it supposed to be in both areas?

Yes, you have logged it twice. When you are synced between MFP and Fitbit, they activities will sync. I only add my activities through MFP and just verify it is on Fitbit. Usually you can just see the activity graph with the very active pink color!! or on the Activities tab.
  • JennieCakes72
    JennieCakes72 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! It seemed like way too many calories. Should I be tracking when I do my walks? I have just been wearing and not really tracking other calories unless I am doing an activity like rollerblading.
  • JennieCakes72
    Options
    Sorry to be a pain, but I have another question. Today all I did was wake up and come to work and it already has a fitbit adjustment of 751 calories! I haven't even worked out yet. Is it projecting that I will exercise that off later? Help!

I love my new Fitbit, however, it is very confusing! :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be a pain, but I have another question. Today all I did was wake up and come to work and it already has a fitbit adjustment of 751 calories! I haven't even worked out yet. Is it projecting that I will exercise that off later? Help!

I love my new Fitbit, however, it is very confusing! :)

The Fitbit *adjustment* is 751 calories??

I think we need more details.
  • JennieCakes72
    Options
    Yes, that's what it says on MFP under my exercise tab. Calorie adjustment.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

I would double check your settings in Fitbit and verify that no activities saved incorrectly...like from a previous day. MFP/Fitbit are having issues (at least with android app) where times aren't saving correctly like am/pm and the hour will sometimes save incorrectly. If I enter exercise from the computer...no issue. Just with android.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Click the "i" icon next to the adjustment and tell us what's in there.

Do you sync anything else with MFP, like an HRM? Did you pre-log any workouts?
  • JennieCakes72
    Options
    When I click on the 'i' it says:

Fitbit Calories Burned
    Full Day Projection = 2267

MFP Calories Burned = 1516

Calorie Adjustment = 751

I don't sync anything else. I did not pre-log any workouts. I am assuming it is going on what I have burned the previous days and projecting that I will burn the same today. I have both MFP and FB programmed to Sedentary and both 'to lose a pound' a week. This is the first day that it has done this. I bought the FitBit last Friday and have been using it since.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    When I click on the 'i' it says:

Fitbit Calories Burned
    Full Day Projection = 2267

MFP Calories Burned = 1516

Calorie Adjustment = 751

I don't sync anything else. I did not pre-log any workouts. I am assuming it is going on what I have burned the previous days and projecting that I will burn the same today. I have both MFP and FB programmed to Sedentary and both 'to lose a pound' a week. This is the first day that it has done this. I bought the FitBit last Friday and have been using it since.

No, that's not how it works. MFP looks at the "calories burned so far today" from Fitbit and then projects the rest of the day based on its own estimate, which comes from the activity level you've set for MFP.

Under Fitbit Calories Burned, it should say "Based on..." What's there?
  • JennieCakes72
    Options
    Based on 1197 calories burned at 7:04am. That is when I last synced before I left the house.
  • JennieCakes72
    Options
    My fitbit says I have burned 1706 so far today as of right now. I haven't done anything today other than come to work and I sit at a desk job.

I am 5'2", 130lbs, and have 20.1% body fat. If that matters...
  • jonnythan
    Options
    My fitbit says I have burned 1706 so far today as of right now. I haven't done anything today other than come to work and I sit at a desk job.

I am 5'2", 130lbs, and have 20.1% body fat. If that matters...

Go to the Fitbit website and look at your Log -> Activity. Is there anything there?
  • JennieCakes72
    Options
    There is nothing under the Logged Activities or the Activity Report.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Well for some reason Fitbit thinks you've burned 1700 calories so far today. Look at your Activity graph. Where are all those calories, time-wise?

If you give a link to your Fitbit profile I might be able to see, depending on your privacy settings. You can also friend me at http://www.fitbit.com/user/24TJH2
  • JennieCakes72
    Options
    I will friend you on the fitbit website. You will be my first friend! Hopefully you can help! I wish I could go home and sync what I have done today to see if it changes! ARG!
  • JennieCakes72
    Options
    http://www.fitbit.com/user/25SRGG

Here is mine. I keep trying to add you as a friend and it's not doing anything. Not sure if my work computer is screwed up or not!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I don't actually see a FR on the Fitbit website so I sent you one.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit one and have been using it exclusively to help with calories. A few things that I have noticed that people have either not noticed or haven't highlighted..

You can turn the option to estimate your daily calories OFF - this way you don't get an annoying adjustment. The only time you would be OK to have that on all the time is if you are syncing constantly. I only sync when I get home from work after a full day.

Also..for the car rides and other activities..you have activity logs. You set your Fitbit into the stopwatch mode when you start and stop it when you end and then you use the fitbit site to convert those times into proper logs for things like "driving", "riding the bus", "zumba" all that stuff. There are LOTS of tools that help make your numbers even more accurate so complaining that you are getting calories while driving is moot if the tools are used then that will not happen.

Activities should be logged on the FITBIT site, not MFP..otherwise you can't adjust your activity logs for the timed activities that you have recorded.

This is honestly the BEST tool bar none for those of us who do a lot of 'walking' type activities. For the other activities you just create an activity log and use the calories provided for you on the site - or enter your own if you want. I love mine and wouldn't give it up for anything!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    http://www.fitbit.com/user/25SRGG

Here is mine. I keep trying to add you as a friend and it's not doing anything. Not sure if my work computer is screwed up or not!

Hm, I can't actually see your calorie burn on daily basis, only a weekly. However, Fitbit says you've burned about 1500 calories as of right now, which seems reasonable considering you're at 2500+ all other days.

Can you, say, do a screenshot of your Activity from your Dashboard?
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Where did everyone get theirs? I was considering getting the Flex, I thought it would be easier to wear 24/7 than a small clip that I will forget (just as I do my pedometer) but the website says they are on back order 8-10 weeks... :( Anywhere else I can buy them??

ETA: All the Best Buy stores have them listed as unavailable as well.