diet soda...good or evil???

Options

Replies

• lilyhel
    lilyhel Posts: 77
    Options
    Doesn't seems to me a good source of nutrition, besides, I really can't stand the gas... Always heard it isn't good for health, but I never really researched why...
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Soda just makes me thirsty. Plus it makes my stomach hurt.
  • ElliMae0u812
    Options
    NOT GOOD!!! Ditch it! Here is a great article that explains why by Dr. Mercola. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/02/23/diet-soda-now-linked-to-heart-disease.aspx
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    http://thesmilingman.hubpages.com/hub/Diet-pepsi-Ingredients-Explained

1. Carbonated Water: Plain water into which carbon dioxide gas has been dissolved.
    Health effects: Linked to tooth decay. May reduce fertility. Suspected teratogen (any agent that interferes with normal embryonic development).

2. Caramel Color: Brown food coloring and flavoring made by heating a sugar, usually corn syrup. May be processed with ammonia and sulfur to intensify color.
    Health effects: May contain ammonium compounds. May affect stomach (gastrointestinal problems), liver, and cause hyperactivity. Caramel color produced with ammonia has been associated with blood toxicity in animals. Associated with reduced white cells and lymphocyte counts.

3. Aspartame: Artificial sweetener. Made from aspartic acid and phenylalanine.
    Health effects: Studies link it to cancer in rats. May cause neurological and behavioral issues. Reported symptoms include irritability, headaches, insomnia, hyperactivity, seizures, memory loss, migraines, depression, vision problems, memory loss. Should be avoided by those with the genetic disorder phenylketonuria.

4. Phosphoric Acid: A colorless, odorless solution made from phosphate rock (not a food).
    Health effects: May lead to calcium loss in bones and tooth erosion. Eye, skin, throat, nose, and respiratory irritant. Can cause osteoporosis. Linked to kidney damage and kidney stones.
    *A corrosive, used to remove rust.

5. Potassium Benzoate: A preservative. Potassium salt of benzoic acid. Benzoic acid is synthesized commercially from toluene. Toluene is produced in the gasoline making process and the making of coke (carbon fuel produced by distillation of coal) from coal. Therefore, potassium benzoate is a petroleum or coal tar derivative.
    Health effects: Asthma, hives, eczema. Caution advised if aspirin sensitive. Benzene, a known cancer-causing agent, can form in soft drinks when sodium benzoate and ascorbic acid (vitamin c) are mixed.

6. Caffeine: A bitter, white crystalline xanthine alkaloid that is a psychoactive stimulant drug.
    Health effects: Psychoactive, addictive. May cause headaches/migraines, heart disease, depression. Causes birth defects in rats. Can cross the placental barrier. Inhibits fetal growth. Women who consume the amount of caffeine in one and a half to three cups of coffee may nearly double their risk of miscarriage.

7. Citric acid: A weak organic acid used as a flavoring agent and a preservative. Extracted from citrus fruits or made by fermentation of yeast or mold. May contain MSG. May be genetically modified.
    Health effects: If MSG sensitive, may provoke symptoms.

8. Natural flavors: Any flavor not chemically derived. Obtained by physical processes from plants or animals. Made to provide flavor to a food rather than nutritional value. May contain MSG.
    Health effects: Unknown. Natural flavors may be acquired through any number of processes. Naturally derived ingredients may be altered, rendered unsafe.

^^^ THAT.

Third this. That being said, I still have a diet coke every now and then. BUT I have two friends (from separate circles/environments) who were both overweight, and as PART of their weight loss plans, they swapped their high-sugar soda habits for diet coke (daily). Both girls dropped pounds and now look great body-wise, but coincidentally they both have horrible hair loss, under-eye circles, and tooth decay issues now as well, and claim to be unable to quit drinking diet soda. I don't have a degree in nutrition, so I don't know for sure if this was just a coincidence or not, but seeing one friend in particular struggle with extreme hair loss problems (at 23 years old) has kept me from drinking diet coke more often.

GRANTED... one of these girls (the one with the extreme hair loss) was drinking a liter of diet coke every day. So, to echo everyone else... moderation is the key.
  • ntanasiciuk
    ntanasiciuk Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Aspartame = evil. That *kitten* is linked to cancer and other chronic diseases.

I'd like to see proof of this claim, as I'm fairly sure this is just mom/broscience and it was debunked a year or two ago.

Splenda/Stevia is a great alternative to sugar for those who have a terrible sweet tooth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1392232/

Here is one. But seriously, you want proof? Go find it.

And this article which refutes your study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198517/

Thank you sir.

Did you just jump straight to the 'conclusion' part, or did you actually take the time to read the hazards? FDA may say it is safe with an 'acceptable daily intake'. If a substance causes hazards to your body and health with larger doses, why would you even want to consume it at an 'acceptable daily intake' ??? No thanks. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    I have heard so many things going either way. What's the verdict??
    It's mostly subjective in view. But science doesn't show the dangers perpetrated by the anti diet soda groups. All in all it's gonna be up to you.
    For me I've drank it for 25 years and haven't had any of the episodes or health issues that are supposed to accompany it according to the anti diet soda list.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Beccaday243
    Options
    I've read all the studies posted here, it took me a few hours. Some are strong. Some aren't so strong. I've read studies posted in other threads of a similar nature. Same conclusion. Some are strong and some aren't so strong. In the end I've come to my own conclusion.
    Maybe when and how often you drink it should be based on your own body. If you have a predisposition to certain illnesses like heart disease or diabetes type 2, or you're pregnant or hoping to be, then cutting down may prove beneficial.
    Really just read the studies, realize how it relates to your life and your body and make a decision from there.
    And remember, no one lives forever, even if they make all the right choices.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Not so hot for you... try Zevia (sweetened with Stevia). Or use sparkling mineral water and add flavored Stevia to it, it tastes great when you want the flavor without HFCS or the toxic chemicals in diet drinks. When I drank regular diet soda I had headaches all of the time... I only get them now when I'm sick.
    Define toxic.

IDEA Fitness member
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I'd like to see proof of this claim, as I'm fairly sure this is just mom/broscience and it was debunked a year or two ago.

Splenda/Stevia is a great alternative to sugar for those who have a terrible sweet tooth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1392232/

Here is one. But seriously, you want proof? Go find it.

And this article which refutes your study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198517/

Thank you sir.

Did you just jump straight to the 'conclusion' part, or did you actually take the time to read the hazards? FDA may say it is safe with an 'acceptable daily intake'. If a substance causes hazards to your body and health with larger doses, why would you even want to consume it at an 'acceptable daily intake' ??? No thanks. :)

Stop drinking water then, 'cause that stuff will kill you if consumed in sufficient quantities
  • ninerbuff
    Options

1. Carbonated Water: Plain water into which carbon dioxide gas has been dissolved.
    Health effects: Linked to tooth decay. May reduce fertility. Suspected teratogen (any agent that interferes with normal embryonic development).

2. Caramel Color: Brown food coloring and flavoring made by heating a sugar, usually corn syrup. May be processed with ammonia and sulfur to intensify color.
    Health effects: May contain ammonium compounds. May affect stomach (gastrointestinal problems), liver, and cause hyperactivity. Caramel color produced with ammonia has been associated with blood toxicity in animals. Associated with reduced white cells and lymphocyte counts.

Health effects: Studies link it to cancer in rats. May cause neurological and behavioral issues. Reported symptoms include irritability, headaches, insomnia, hyperactivity, seizures, memory loss, migraines, depression, vision problems, memory loss. Should be avoided by those with the genetic disorder phenylketonuria.

4. Phosphoric Acid: A colorless, odorless solution made from phosphate rock (not a food).
    Health effects: May lead to calcium loss in bones and tooth erosion. Eye, skin, throat, nose, and respiratory irritant. Can cause osteoporosis. Linked to kidney damage and kidney stones.

5. Potassium Benzoate: A preservative. Potassium salt of benzoic acid. Benzoic acid is synthesized commercially from toluene. Toluene is produced in the gasoline making process and the making of coke (carbon fuel produced by distillation of coal) from coal. Therefore, potassium benzoate is a petroleum or coal tar derivative.
    Health effects: Asthma, hives, eczema. Caution advised if aspirin sensitive. Benzene, a known cancer-causing agent, can form in soft drinks when sodium benzoate and ascorbic acid (vitamin c) are mixed.

6. Caffeine: A bitter, white crystalline xanthine alkaloid that is a psychoactive stimulant drug.
    Health effects: Psychoactive, addictive. May cause headaches/migraines, heart disease, depression. Causes birth defects in rats. Can cross the placental barrier. Inhibits fetal growth. Women who consume the amount of caffeine in one and a half to three cups of coffee may nearly double their risk of miscarriage.

7. Citric acid: A weak organic acid used as a flavoring agent and a preservative. Extracted from citrus fruits or made by fermentation of yeast or mold. May contain MSG. May be genetically modified.

8. Natural flavors: Any flavor not chemically derived. Obtained by physical processes from plants or animals. Made to provide flavor to a food rather than nutritional value. May contain MSG.
    Health effects: Unknown. Natural flavors may be acquired through any number of processes. Naturally derived ingredients may be altered, rendered unsafe.
    http://revortay1.hubpages.com/hub/The-truth-about-diet-soda-are-diet-sodas-safe

Same hub page:

Diet soda is not all that bad. Yup, that's right I said it, and I'm not kidding! Diet sodas have been talked down time and time again. However all of this negative light has given diet sodas a bad rap. Many of the possible benefits of diet soda have constantly been over looked. This hub will go over the benefits along with the draw backs to diet soda! Make sure to pay attention you don't want to miss all of this information on drinking diet sodas.

Most diet sodas have 0 carbs along with 0 calories. This means that as far as the nutrition facts are concerned it is almost like drinking water. So if you are on a severely restricted carb diet you can have a diet soda to make your days a little easier. This is the main benefit to drinking diet drinks, the fact that they can add some great options to your weight loss diets with out adding anything to you daily nutrient profile. Having these options will help you get through those long days of the same foods over and over again. This can in fact save your diet in many cases because having a case of diet soda handy can often keep you from having another sweet tasting vice.

Diet Soda Myths
    Myth #1- Drinking Diet Sodas Cause Cancer-

This myth is mostly due to the fact that some diet sodas contain Aspartame, an artificial sweetener thought to cause cancer. However this thought is based on a study done in the 80s and it has recently been disproved and it is thought that the computers used to do the observations of the rats gave them cancer. There has been much research done and they have come to the conclusion that Aspartame does not cause cancer and is completely safe in moderate amounts!
    Myth #2- Drinking Diet Soda Will make you fat-

Drinking diet soda will not make you fat! This myth is mostly based on the fact that health experts say that because they are drinking diet soda many people think that they can eat what ever else they want. Kinda like when people laugh at people at McDonald's who order two Big Macs and a large fry then get a diet soda. The diet soda is not going to make up for any thing. Just like you cant go to the gym one day out of the week and think your set. A diet soda must be part of a healthy diet to be of any use at all.
    How to use diet sodas to enhance your fat loss diet

Diet sodas are a great weapon in any fat loss diet, not to burn fat them selves but rather to aid you in not choosing to splurge on a horrible choice. The key is not to get trapped in thinking that since you had a diet soda you can have what ever else you want. Stick to your diet and work out regimen and throw in a diet suds every now and then to spice it up. Don't go too crazy but make sure to have some in your fridge!

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Stay off the soda and drink sparkling ice its awesome. And tastes way better than soda.
    Subjective. Balut tastes slammin'. You should try it and it's better than a hot dog.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sailrunner
    sailrunner Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Summary - there is nothing healthy in diet soda drinks

If increasing health is part of your goal - avoid soda.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Alcohol is linked to driving death much more than aspartame to cancer and disease. But moderate alcohol consumption is linked to better heart health. Pick your poison. Correlation isn't causation is the point.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    NOT GOOD!!! Ditch it! Here is a great article that explains why by Dr. Mercola. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/02/23/diet-soda-now-linked-to-heart-disease.aspx
    Lol, Mercola. He and Oz should start a quackery clinic. They'd make millions (not like they don't already) from pseudoscience.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    All I know is that a friend of mine who was the head chemist for a variety of companies, including Pepsi and various pharmaceutical companies, says sucralose (Splenda) and aspartame are both extremely bad for your body. He even got into it with the chemists from Splenda at a conference. The guy's a world class biochemist and I'll take his word over the internet any day. People can do whatever they so choose. I, however, will never consume either of them.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Health isn't just about food or drink. There are other factors that play into it.
    That said while diet soda isn't the best choice, it's not a detriment for health issues if not overdone.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    All I know is that a friend of mine who was the head chemist for a variety of companies, including Pepsi and various pharmaceutical companies, says sucralose (Splenda) and aspartame are both extremely bad for your body. He even got into it with the chemists from Splenda at a conference. The guy's a world class biochemist and I'll take his word over the internet any day. People can do whatever they so choose. I, however, will never consume either of them.
    Who is it? Shouldn't be a secret if he worked for Pepsi and other pharmaceutical companies. I'd like to read about his viewpoints on it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • StacieHof
    StacieHof Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Not so hot for you... try Zevia (sweetened with Stevia). Or use sparkling mineral water and add flavored Stevia to it, it tastes great when you want the flavor without HFCS or the toxic chemicals in diet drinks. When I drank regular diet soda I had headaches all of the time... I only get them now when I'm sick.
    Define toxic.

IDEA Fitness member

Wow, you sure like to get your opinion out there! As for defining toxic: poisonous - venomous - toxicant - virulent - noxious... or did you just want an argument? We all have our opinions and react in different ways to our environment some are more sensitive and symptoms show up sooner. Some people can drink alcohol whenever they want and not become alcoholics others cannot. My suggestion is for those who wish to find an alternative not for those that are happy with drinking it. If you would have read farther you would have seen other people who reacted to Diet Soda but still like the flavor this post was for them.
  • StacieHof
    StacieHof Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Health isn't just about food or drink. There are other factors that play into it.
    That said while diet soda isn't the best choice, it's not a detriment for health issues if not overdone.

IDEA Fitness member

Define overdone?