Casein before bed ?

Options
13»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Catabolic states dont exist as easily as people think. It takes days of no eating to become catabolic, thats called starvation. I fast for hours and even days and not once has my body eatin my muscle. i still have all my gains. people are to gullable to everything they read.

Does you're answer change if we were talking about endurance sports/athletes?
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    i will say i asked this of like the most ripped trainer at my gym earlier, and he was like "i love that stuff man i have it every night, it's crucial" and he was being serious...

...but more than anything it seems the general consensus in macros matter more than the timing of them?

Your last line just answered it for you. If a scoop of casien before bed helps you hit your protein macros, do it man. I personally love a good scoop of casein in my pre-bed yogurt.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    i will say i asked this of like the most ripped trainer at my gym earlier, and he was like "i love that stuff man i have it every night, it's crucial" and he was being serious...

...but more than anything it seems the general consensus in macros matter more than the timing of them?

absolutely. nutrient timing isn't irrelevant, but it is highly overstated, especially for the average person, and especially in the face of bigger priorities like total cals and macro goals.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options

absolutely. nutrient timing isn't irrelevant, but it is highly overstated, especially for the average person, and especially in the face of bigger priorities like total cals and macro goals.

i've been at this for two years now, im at the point where i want to try little things cause i feel kinda stalled

btw, i finally know how to bold, thanks
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    . I personally love a good scoop of casein in my pre-bed yogurt.

how do you mix it, i tried that once and it turned into like cake batter consistency
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

i've been at this for two years now, im at the point where i want to try little things cause i feel kinda stalled

btw, i finally know how to bold, thanks

I would look to other aspects of your diet and training before looking at any possible and very small benefit (if any) meal timing may have.

If you are stalled, the first thing to look at is how accurate you are with logging - do you weigh and measure everything? It is very very common for people to underestimate how much they eat.

Good write up here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    . I personally love a good scoop of casein in my pre-bed yogurt.

how do you mix it, i tried that once and it turned into like cake batter consistency

Just add some water until you get the desired consistency. I eat my powder in Greek yogurt regularly but usually for breakfast with fruit, almonds and/or ground flax seeds.

As for listening to ripped trainers for advice, meh. Most PTs are fountains of bro science and will have you doing all sorts of things that won't hurt your progress but won't help either and will make your life miserable. Meal timing, ridiculous rounds of supplements, cutting out entire food groups, etc. are typical. Focus instead on the basics.
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    emeraldeyes_bc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Drink 1-2 scoop casien protein shake 20-30 mins before bed. If you're sleeping between 6-8 a night it will help with feeding your body with proteins for a large part of those 6 to 8 hours, preventing or avoiding a catabolic state.

So yes, drink it.

So what you're saying is, a 6-8 hour fast automatically results in an overall net catabolic state?

He's correct, overall catabolism of muscles yes. A good micellar casein is a good way to prevent it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Drink 1-2 scoop casien protein shake 20-30 mins before bed. If you're sleeping between 6-8 a night it will help with feeding your body with proteins for a large part of those 6 to 8 hours, preventing or avoiding a catabolic state.

So yes, drink it.

So what you're saying is, a 6-8 hour fast automatically results in an overall net catabolic state?

He's correct, overall catabolism of muscles yes. A good micellar casein is a good way to prevent it.

Isn't this based on the same bogus thinking as the 6+ meals/day thing?
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options

So yes, drink it.

Yeah, science is totally bogus.
    Within only a couple hours of sleep our liver will have used up most of its glycogen stores in order to keep the brain "fed". the body will continue to convert protein to glucose as the liver stores deplete. If there isn't enough protein, then yes, it will turn to muscle.
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options

So yes, drink it.

So you're saying there is catabolism occurring every single night? What if I eat a 10 oz steak at 9pm then I go to bbed at 10pm, that steak is not providing any source of nutrition at all, all night, ever?

What about those people who never use casien, how do they succeed?

Obviously there's no law that says you have to use casein. Most people just prefer that it's light, easy, and doesn't leave them feeling "heavy".
    If you want to choose a food protein source I'd probably suggest cottage cheese, tuna, deli slices, etc. a huge steak probably wouldn't be my go to.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

So yes, drink it.

Within only a couple hours of sleep our liver will have used up most of its glycogen stores in order to keep the brain "fed". the body will continue to convert protein to glucose as the liver stores deplete. If there isn't enough protein, then yes, it will turn to muscle.

How long do you think that liver glycogen store lasts? How long do you think it takes (on average) for the body to have access to the protein consumed in a meal?

And most importantly, do you believe this muscle catabolism is permanent or that the body restores it such that the difference between 6+ meals in a day and 2-3 meals (or said another way, a series of 2-3 hour fasts throughout the day vs two or three longer fasts) is essentially insignificant to the point of being immeasurable?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options

So yes, drink it.

Every night our glycogen stores are depleted? Where did you pull that theory out of?
    Muscle glycogen is utilized by muscle only and will not be depleted totally especially if exercise protocol didn't dictate multiple bouts. Liver glycogen reserves on the other hand are not huge and are depleted multiple times a day and why our body also access gluconeogenesis for amino acid conversion to glucose and while it's true that our liver glycogen will be depleted while we sleep the importance of consuming a slow digesting protein or consuming foods high in protein can't stop catabolism that will take place over approx 8 hoours and can interfer with our growth hormones and sleep which effects our testosterone levels the next day. Also given the fact that IF'ers seem to have minimal negative muscle catabolism effects after 12-16 hours I think that worrying about muscle loss while sleeping is way overblown and people should really focus on hitting their macro's on a consistent daily basis. imo