real food >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fake non-food
  • DrCaspianDoll
    DrCaspianDoll Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    they are disgusting!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I tried the macaroni-shaped ones, I didn't mind the taste but the texture wasn't very awesome :noway: I bought three different shapes though, so I think I'll dry fry them like someone suggested and hope the thinner noodles are better. Anyone know if you boil them for a while if they soften up at all?
  • mitsi94
    mitsi94 Posts: 64
    Options
    I've tried them with several different types of veggies & sauces, and I like them.

With that said, and like another poster already mentioned, you must prepare them correctly! There are some other threads on here that go into great detail on the best way to prepare them, which is dry frying them first before adding them to food/sauces. I tried a Hungry Girl recipe for them once that had you microwave them, and they were not good that way. Dry frying them works!

Also, there are two kinds of these noodles (several different brands available though). There are some that are just straight plant based, as they are made from the yam plant. And there are some that are made by blending with tofu. I actually prefer the tofu mixed ones, as they have a softer texture that reminds me of ramen noodles. The straight plant based ones are slightly more "rubbery" as others have mentioned, but I do not think they are like eating rubber bands if they are prepared correctly.

I say experiment and give them a try! I can get them at my local grocery store. Hope that helps!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    They are not zero noodles at all, they do have calories. About 11 calories per 100g actually. They are made from Konjac root & even though they are 'rubbery' they can still be made into a great meal.

Just boil them for about 5 mins, like you would pasta. They lose some of the rubbery part & they still have no taste anyway, but they do soak up part of the flavor that you have it with.

I eat them daily, in either angel hair form, rice form or just normal pasta form. If you know how to cook it right then they are brilliant.

Oh and to the poster that said they tasted 'fishy'... I'm guessing you didnt rinse them at least 1st? That would be what they are stored in so they dont dry out.
  • ClosetBibliophile
    Options
    Honestly, I tried them and they had the texture that I could only compare to tentacles.
    Just wrong. Imagine rubbery bamboo shoots. Vile.

I binned £20 worth as no one in my house would eat them. Waste of money and I LOVE all kinds of noodles, bar those monstrosities.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sound amazing!!

I love stir frys and can never say no to the yummy rice noodles..

has anyone tried these miracle noodle things? do they taste ok?

x

anytime I read "miracle" in a thread, I immediately stop reading..

I have some unicorn noodles available for 39.99 ...
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    sound amazing!!

I love stir frys and can never say no to the yummy rice noodles..

has anyone tried these miracle noodle things? do they taste ok?

x

anytime I read "miracle" in a thread, I immediately stop reading..

I have some unicorn noodles available for 39.99 ...

Actually they really are just 11 cals per 100g.... in that case they are a miracle they are that low & so high in fiber.

But then people are always quick to dismiss anything they have never known about before. Research KONJAC NOODLES
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I bought them in a Coles Supermarket in Australis today. They are on special till tomorrow I think. So all you Australians go out and buy them and dry fry them and report back?
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I prefer konnyaku, which is the same yam based substance in brick form instead of noodles. I use it to bulk up a stir fry, rather than as a noodle substitute.

You have to prepare them properly, like anything else.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    I bought them in a Coles Supermarket in Australis today. They are on special till tomorrow I think. So all you Australians go out and buy them and dry fry them and report back?

I'm in Australia & have them all the time. I do not dry fry them, I boil them cause the more I fry the less I feel like I'm getting the better stuff out of it. Try Changs low-cal noodles...cheaper & the same stuff.
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I tried making a chicken stirfry with them once, epic fail. They had zero taste and were blah. Most likey just the way I prepared it but I haven't purchased them since.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    I tried making a chicken stirfry with them once, epic fail. They had zero taste and were blah. Most likey just the way I prepared it but I haven't purchased them since.

I have stirfry every night. I'm guessing you just didnt 'cook' them right. It's as simple as boiling them for 5 mins.