Foods to help Depression

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
Are there any foods that naturally help with depression that are 'healthy' and very low calorie to help me stick to diet.

I'm trying to to stick to low calorie and only fruit, veg, quorn or very lean meat/white fish but I've no energy and the tiniest thing makes me cry or makes me angry and feel depressed..then I need chocolate or alcohol/coke to boost my mood.

It doesn't help that I got a puppy eating his own poo which sends me into a rage everytime I see him do it and trying to sort out damn bedroom tax etc, facing eviction etc so I know it's more than just stress from trying to lose weight.

My weight went back up from 9st 3 and now hover between 9st 12 and 10st which makes me instantly depressed when see 10st or anything over on scales.

I'm thinking of trying lIpo 6 just to give me more energy to cope with everything then maybe I'll have energy to exercise and cope with everything?

Replies

• meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I would suggest giving Paleo/Primal a try. You can google it. Your brain and body need healthy fats from good quality meat and veg sources, don't restrict them. Insulin levels swings can cause significant mood swings, alterations and lead to depression. Control the insulin and you should start to feel better.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think there's been a case made for oily fish - salmon, sardines, mackerel (not tinned tuna) and depression. They are low enough calorie to include on any healthy diet.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I certainly don't cut out red meat. Have it a couple of times a week or so. Sometimes it's worth saving some cals for a glass of something too but you have to learn to stick to one!
  • Drunken_WarHero
    Options
    Are there any foods that naturally help with depression that are 'healthy' and very low calorie to help me stick to diet.

I'm trying to to stick to low calorie and only fruit, veg, quorn or very lean meat/white fish but I've no energy and the tiniest thing makes me cry or makes me angry and feel depressed..then I need chocolate or alcohol/coke to boost my mood.

It doesn't help that I got a puppy eating his own poo which sends me into a rage everytime I see him do it and trying to sort out damn bedroom tax etc, facing eviction etc so I know it's more than just stress from trying to lose weight.

My weight went back up from 9st 3 and now hover between 9st 12 and 10st which makes me instantly depressed when see 10st or anything over on scales.

I'm thinking of trying lIpo 6 just to give me more energy to cope with everything then maybe I'll have energy to exercise and cope with everything?

The best, all natural, low calorie fix for depression is - are yuo ready?!

CARDIO!

Harvard Med wrote an absolutely fantastic piece on the study and offers up the details in this article in an easy to read essay.

health.harvard.edu / newsweek / Exercise-and-Depression-report-excerpt.htm
    (remove the spaces in between the slashes before you paste)

Increasing your cardiovascular output will also help combat the comorbid anxiety that follows so closely to depression [NSU School of Osteopathic Medicine, 2009 et al] which in turn helps out with the nurvous habbit of overeating for most people.

Good luck!
    <3
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Get a complex b vitamin supplement. does wonders.
  • turnerca42
    turnerca42 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hiya, although not releated to your depression / diet, I've heard that if a puppy eats poo then there is usually something deficient in the diet - try changing his diet - that will at least take away 1 problem
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    St John's Wort. Zero calories and totally natural. You can get it in tablet form or liquid. I used to put a couple of drops in my morning coffee as the liquid on it's own is pretty grim. I found it worked wonders! Available from all health food shops as well as some other places too.

Make sure you read the advisory label tho'.

Look at any product's label that says 'contains phenylalanine'. Manufacturers HAVE to put it on the label (at least here in UK) as it can increase dopamine and is used in antidepressants. You'd probably have to consume a fair quantity as I believe most products only have it as very small quantity or trace, but it's there nonetheless.

As per 'turnerca42' notes ... a puppy (or adult dog) eating their own poo is a sign they are not getting enough nutrients in their diet. Definitely review his diet ... especially while he's a puppy
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have life with Depression for 15 yrs, exercise has help me alot, good hard training, keeps me feeling good for hours

stay away for processed foods, drink water, stay away from wine beer drinking them makes you feel worst

fresh air and sunlight helps

st johnwort helps

take care of yourself do thing like, have you hair done, massage, long warm baths, listern to music

if you can get hold of some of zig ziggler, I find him to be helpful.

I hope this helps

anyone can add me
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    also eat good healthy foods, stay away from soda and diet soda etc etc, they mess with your bodies system
  • ficklesoul
    ficklesoul Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with the cardio workout. I try to stick to eating clean as much as I can. I used to be on a restrictive low carb diet because I was desperate to lose weight. While it does help me shed off pounds, I wasn't happy and it has made me felt even more depress and I gained back all the weight later due to carb deprivation. Try to experiment with new things and find what works for you.

Like you, my bad bad vice will(forever) be chocolate and I'm kind of addicted to diet sodas(Still am actually). I still have bad chocolate craving. Sometimes I cave in to temptation but lately I noticed that as I've upped my fruits intake and opt for dark chocolate(75-80ish%) It helps curb my massive craving for chocolates by a couple of notches down. I still indulge in chocolate but it's not as bad as it used to be. + Dark chocolates are actually good for you. Good luck.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

you're probably not eating enough. but also exercise. releases seratonin and dopamine like you wouldn't believe. that's the key.
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic combination that I use myself and it works! B3 and D3 vitamins taken daily.

Also Niacin is a natural antidepressant so eat 2 handful of cashew nuts (raw and organic) as they are the nut with the highest amount of Niacin.

http://healthcave.com/10-foods-to-cure-depression/

best of luck.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Some very good advice here - note that the cardio can be walking - here is a study that's interesting. And if you have a new dog, it might fit with your lifestyle

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/04april/Pages/walking-treatment-depression-symptoms.aspx

I think what one of the other posters said about eating natural foods is helpful too. I don't eat white floury / sugary things because when I do they make me feel really down. A glass of red wine, on the other hand, is worth keeping some calories for
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    St John's Wort. Zero calories and totally natural. You can get it in tablet form or liquid. I used to put a couple of drops in my morning coffee as the liquid on it's own is pretty grim. I found it worked wonders! Available from all health food shops as well as some other places too.

I just also want to point out that St John's Wort can reduce the effectiveness of bc pills so if you take them, be careful!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Re my puppy he has allergies since i got him at 9 weeks his food has to completely grain free and fish based with occasional chicken and turkey. I did try him on a lamb and duck based diet but he found it too rich for his little tummy. He's currently on a fish and veg based kibble as I won a years supply of food but I do supplement it with fresh fish and meat. He can't have beef either so not sure whether he'd find venison too rich.

With me ..I try to eat 'clean' ..my budget has been reduced due to recent Bedroom tax and having to pay council tax whilst still on same income! I had been gluten free for around 18 months but can't afford the food anymore so don't bother with sandwiches or breakfast cereals. I don't like beef either so don't eat red meat much myself though I do love lamb when I can afford it!
    I'll have to try and get back to an early morning session as once I'm up and sorting the dogs (I got an older one too) I don't seem to have a minute to myself until later at night when I'm knackered by then. I got my best results and fastest weight lost when I did early morning sessions but was also on capsiplex at the time.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar and I've found that a ketogenic diet has help control my mood swings (specifically the depressive ones). Try to include grass-fed/free range meats for more omega threes.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

1 - Exercise
    2 - A healthy well balanced diet with a variety of foods. Restrictive diets are a downer.
    3 - surround yourself with positive people
    4 - reward yourself in moderation
    5 - counseling and therapy with or without medication
  • sana_mantell
    Options
    Yes 5-HTP What is 5-HTP- Its a natural antidepressant. I've been using it for several weeks now and it works great! You can find it in a Whole Foods and I think regular drug stores carry it. Here is the definition:

5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is a compound produced in the body from the amino acid tryptophan. It is a precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin and the hormone melatonin.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate, in moderation.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Fatty fish like salmon are high in omega-3's, which some people find helpful for managing depression.

Also, really low calorie diets have always made my depression worse - not sadness-wise, but I'd get stressed out and angry more easily. You might want to bump your calories up a bit - so long as you have a deficit you will lose, and this might help your mood.