Foods to help Depression

Options

Replies

• shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try switching to dark chocolate instead of milk as I do remember liking the Fry's chocolate cream bars.. ones with orange inside. My family often get my some brandy liquers for xmas present which are usually dark chocolate too but that's the only time I really eat it.

what percentage is good to not make you NOT want to eat too much but not too bitter?

I'll look up the 5HTP stuff, sure I've seen that mentioned before as an ingredient in diet pills!

I was g=doing well last year but since I got my puppy *weeks old last Nov I just haven't had time I have been on exercise pedals usually when watching telly at night so can burn off calories I just eaten for dinner but before I was doing more wii fit and started a new routine with Kettlebells which really seem to help tighten my tummy area up. Now he's older and will settle down so I can stick an exercise video on or stay in bed until I finish an early morning routine I'll have to try and get back into it.

I do think the Capsiplex gave me the energy and it really made me sweat loads especially 4-5am in morning before breakfast I seem to sweat loads more then than when I'd slept in taken dog out first and was 11am before I was getting round to the exercise I usually gave up after 30 mins as didn't have energy whereas when started early I'd do about 2 hours. I tried Oxyelite pro too but it didn't really do anything for me didn't give me the same buzz or lose pounds/inches.

So I'm trying to decide whether to go with lipo 6 or back to Capsiplex for energy to do a proper workout.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, gluten makes me depressed. And alcohol, for obvious reasons. But I found it interesting that I felt depressed after eating gluten!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I knew I'd seen 5HTP before in a slimming pill or something!..I just looked up Capsiplex again and it's in that! ..thought it rung a bell!

I do wonder if my sudden mood swings are to do with fact I switched to regular bread cos it was cheaper like 80p for a loaf versus £2.50 for a GF one which usually has much less slices! ..I decided to just restrict myself to bread once a week and use normal but then ended up getting regular digestives cos packet was £1 versus nearly £3 for GF equivalent!

I thought of replacing breakfast and lunch with shakes to avoid bread/cereal but it's just as hard to find gluten free diet or protein shakes. I thought if could get one in chocolate it might help satisfy the cravings whilst still only taking in set amount of calories.
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    turkey!
    and check out 'potatoes not prozac' by kathleen demaisons
  • rmn79
    rmn79 Posts: 39
    Options
    I saw a big difference after taking a vitamin B supplement and Omega 3's but not from fish oil, I either get them from flax or chia seeds. I also use coconut oil because it helps with energy and countless other benefits. Inositol may help but I have not tried it so I can't say it works.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Get a complex b vitamin supplement. does wonders.

^^^This!
  • rmn79
    rmn79 Posts: 39
    Options
    From personal experience, gluten makes me depressed. And alcohol, for obvious reasons. But I found it interesting that I felt depressed after eating gluten!

I agree!
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/drew-ramsey-md/food-mental-health_b_1703007.html

VERY good Article!

Eat some leaf lard in small quantities (fried chicken, or potatoes...?) We are all so terrified of eating fats, but fat is actually good for you in controlled quantities.. Yeah I know I sound crazy, but the whole 70's "Dont eat fat" thing is finally starting to be questioned.
    Read this article for some benifits of lard.
    http://www.crossfitinnate.com/how-to-make-lard

Lard is still a four letter word with dieters, but its a ton healthier and more natural then Veggie Shortening... (Gross.)
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Gluten is a big deal when it comes to behaviour. My friend has a two year old who was always clingy, whiny, and would not talk to anyone outside of the family. She took gluten out of her diet, that child is a totally different 2 year old, she's outgoing and independent now.

If you like smoothies, make your own. I make a green smoothie (spinach, kale, banana, blueberry, strawberry, fresh squeezed orange, flax seed, coconut milk) and that is a complete meal for me.

I take a B 100 Complex and Omega 3 supplement daily (I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety a couple of years ago.) Yoga has also been a sanity saver for me. Caffeine is the enemy.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    You might also experience mood swings when you change your diet. I'm the worst person to be around when i cut refined sugar and carbs. It takes a few weeks, but WATCH OUT!

There are a lot of foods that help with depression. I wouldn't go to any extreme diet unless that's wat you want, but i find a "generally" healthier diet, and more heart rate raising exerciise will increase your mood dramatically over a short period of time
  • LuHox
    LuHox Posts: 136
    Options
    Are there any foods that naturally help with depression that are 'healthy' and very low calorie to help me stick to diet.

I'm trying to to stick to low calorie and only fruit, veg, quorn or very lean meat/white fish but I've no energy and the tiniest thing makes me cry or makes me angry and feel depressed..then I need chocolate or alcohol/coke to boost my mood.

Don't skip the healthy fats. They make you happy. Literally. I know you have to limit them to stay low-cal, but I've noticed a big improvement in my mood by making sure I get healthy fats from either fatty fish or plant sources (coconut, seeds, nuts, avocados...)

If you feel like you're grumpy because you're hungry (hungry people are inherently grumpier. Lessons from working in food service, lol) make sure you have protein & fiber at every meal. Spread it throughout the day and don't let yourself get too hungry.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The Mediterranian diet is supposedly good for fighting depression, and I do find I feel good when I have a lot of salmon and other fish in my diet. Add to that sunshine and fresh air. Dog walks and a little gardening help me a lot to boost my mood. I also enjoy indulging in seasonal fruits and finding fun ways to eat them.
  • LuHox
    LuHox Posts: 136
    Options
    St John's Wort. Zero calories and totally natural. You can get it in tablet form or liquid. I used to put a couple of drops in my morning coffee as the liquid on it's own is pretty grim. I found it worked wonders! Available from all health food shops as well as some other places too.

I just also want to point out that St John's Wort can reduce the effectiveness of bc pills so if you take them, be careful!

And if no one has mentioned it, should not be mixed with prescription anti-depressants if you happen to take them b/c of the possibility of serious interactions.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Obviously stay away from unhealthy foods, and drinks. Exercise, healthy eating, a daily dose of no sunscreen sunshine really does wonders. So does walks and yoga. As for actual foods, I have found that foods high in magnesium (flax seed daily) and B vitamins, esp niacin/B3 really works wonders. Just try to find it through food sources rather than supplements if you can, cause niacin in supplement form is more than what you get from your Multi-vitamins can cause uncomfortable flushing. My friend swears by these two changes in diet that got her off Prozac even, however I'm not a doctor to recommend stop taking meds if you are on them. Hang in there! Depression can be hard to go through as many don't understand why you can't just snap out of it sometimes. >hugz<
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Cognitive therapy will help you more than any pill or diet will. Read Feeling Good - Dr David Burns. It's the best self help book out there.

:smile: Stay strong!
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I would just eat as healthy and unprocessed as you can and get a Good workout in. That will release those happy cells into your brain and help you with depression. Exercise helps me with this a lot.
  • jnice2009
    jnice2009 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you use them but I had read that artificial sweeteners such as splenda /equal I believe it is aspertain can cause depression, I stopped diet soda long ago, but was putting away a 1/2 gallon of crystal light in a evening....

I stopped drinking so much and have seen a difference.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/01/12/diet-drinks-artificial-sweetener-tied-to-greater-risk-of-depression/50327.html

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/avoid-artificial-sweeteners.htm
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    bump
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Pick up the poop after the dogs defecate. One problem solved! And it gives you exercise.