Binge eating victory

Options
124»

Replies

• susanwair
    susanwair Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Can everyone just play nice in the sandbox??
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

:laugh: You, just made my day. Thank you :bigsmile:
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Good for you for realizing what you were doing and making a conscious decision to stop :) I realized I used to just stuff my face because i thought it would make my anxiety, nerviousness and sometimes sadness go away. I have now replaced it with working out and sitting back trying to figure out what's getting me that way.

Don't get me wrong, there are days where I really thing two heaping TBSP of nutella sounds good ... lol good for you we are all here to support and help each other back up when we fall back :)
  • FestivalDiva
    FestivalDiva Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi well done for choosing to make today a non-binge day. It does happen to many of us!
    My experience of dieting -and restricting myself- is if you deny yourself everything you really enjoy even the 'bad' foods (the pizza chips etc) then it can create a craving and maybe this increases the risk of binging on these foods... So would it be a good idea to incorporate a (calorie controlled) pizza (and salad!) into your daily allowance (eg once per week) :flowerforyou: just a thought

Since I've used MFP I've eaten so much more than I have ever thought possible on a diet and lost more quickly than ever before. Before MFP I was eating 1000 cals per day on and off for 30 years you get a strange relationship with food. Now I'm on 1350 cals per day (increased after exercise) which to me is amazing. I'm enjoying it as I'm eating foods from my dieting 'banned list' and feel so much more happy, in control and free. I'm going out tonight, having a drink and food and I'm not panicking about it!

There is also the possibility of therapeutic intervention if you struggle with this issue too often, as sometimes it can be a psychological problem. you are not alone :love: take care
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

:laugh: You, just made my day. Thank you :bigsmile:

Are there any cats in this sandbox? :wink:
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Food is an addiction

No, it's a habit.

is your attitude a habit?

that horse your on .....it's quite high, really hope you don't fall off and hurt yourself.

I agree. Men do not seem to understand the gender issues of body fat gain or loss. Women have 2 to 3 times the amount of leptin than do men AT THE SAME BODY FAT LEVEL. What this means is that leptin resistance is much more likely to happen to a woman. In turn, that makes a woman that much more prone to binge eating and food addiction because her brain does not tell her when to stop eating. Women also have the spur of their female hormone, estrogen which is a fat promoter and the more body fat she carries, the more likely she is to be leptin-resistant. And, as if that wasn't enough, she is today, often taking birth control pills, which shut down her natural production of progesterone (progesterone is nature's opposition to estrogen) and tries to replace it with synthetic progestins (among other things, a cancer-causer). The drug companies could have used natural progesterone when they formulated the birth control pill---but you cannot patent a natural substance. Estrogen blocks both the uptake of iodine by the thyroid (sending it into dysfunctional mode) AND it partially blocks the effect of thyroid hormone, at a cellular level. Progesterone is nature's answer to estrogen and it has thyroid enhancing characteristics.

Men, on the other hand, have testosterone in abundance, which promotes the building of lean body mass and the burning of fat. Because they have a higher level of lean body mass, they have a much wider margin beyond the 1,200 calories a day that every adult needs to have in order for their body to function. They should not judge women.
    Wow. I never knew this. I guess now that I think about it, I don't hear of men binging as many women do. I don't mean the binge that most are going to do just occasionally, I mean the actual binge disorder. Interesting tidbit there.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Food is an addiction

No, it's a habit.

is your attitude a habit?

that horse your on .....it's quite high, really hope you don't fall off and hurt yourself.

I agree. Men do not seem to understand the gender issues of body fat gain or loss. Women have 2 to 3 times the amount of leptin than do men AT THE SAME BODY FAT LEVEL. What this means is that leptin resistance is much more likely to happen to a woman. In turn, that makes a woman that much more prone to binge eating and food addiction because her brain does not tell her when to stop eating. Women also have the spur of their female hormone, estrogen which is a fat promoter and the more body fat she carries, the more likely she is to be leptin-resistant. And, as if that wasn't enough, she is today, often taking birth control pills, which shut down her natural production of progesterone (progesterone is nature's opposition to estrogen) and tries to replace it with synthetic progestins (among other things, a cancer-causer). The drug companies could have used natural progesterone when they formulated the birth control pill---but you cannot patent a natural substance. Estrogen blocks both the uptake of iodine by the thyroid (sending it into dysfunctional mode) AND it partially blocks the effect of thyroid hormone, at a cellular level. Progesterone is nature's answer to estrogen and it has thyroid enhancing characteristics.

Men, on the other hand, have testosterone in abundance, which promotes the building of lean body mass and the burning of fat. Because they have a higher level of lean body mass, they have a much wider margin beyond the 1,200 calories a day that every adult needs to have in order for their body to function. They should not judge women.
    Wow. I never knew this. I guess now that I think about it, I don't hear of men binging as many women do. I don't mean the binge that most are going to do just occasionally, I mean the actual binge disorder. Interesting tidbit there.

And if the binging is on carbohydrates (which it usually is--often combined with fat and salt), it causes further disruption of hormones---blood sugar spikes and then insulin spikes, followed by an increase in cortisol which causes fat to be deposited on the abdomen, and a growth in fat tissue further increases estrogen output. Leptin-resistance follows this repeated pattern and leptin-resistance precedes and predicts insulin-resistance.

Obesity researchers have noted that women have three to four times the rate of thyroid dysfunction as men. :ohwell: