Am I the only one who hates Greek yogurt?

Options

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Take it from someone in Greece, the only thing that you will find in the US which is really like Greek yogurt is the Fage full fat. It still takes some getting used to and the whole point is to dress it up with fruit, nuts, and honey. Try some mandarin orange wedges, some walnuts, some honey in the Winter and in the Summer any ripe fruit (strawberries, kiwi, etc) & honey. This is traditional as is to add a syrupy fruit sweet. You can just use a spoonful of your favorite jam and mix it up. Personally, I crumble up chocolate cookies in the bottom and add some milk to absorb into the cookie crumbs, sometimes banana, sometimes dark choc chips and always some cinnamon ('cause I love it & it's good to help with insulin) & Greek honey. If you want to try with a little milk, the milk takes some of the "bite" out of the yogurt taste. I'm addicted to the stuff, so it's lucky I live here and can buy it by the kilo.:happy:
  • tRiNaBeAnZz
    tRiNaBeAnZz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I have tried several times to eat plain nonfat Greek yogurt, but I just can't stomach it. I do, however, like Yoplait 100 calorie flavored Greek yogurt. The texture, once you mix it up with the fruit on the bottom, isn't much different from regular yogurt and it tastes good! It's the only brand I actually like, and it's not full of sugar either. 8-9g of sugar vs. oikos 12-18g per yogurt. I have also found that mixing protein powder in with plain Greek yogurt, depending on flavor, makes it taste sort of like pudding. I like vanilla or chocolate.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt seems to be one of the favorite foods in the healthy eating world and I wanted so badly to love the stuff. But I cannot stomach it- the texture makes me gag and I'm not a fan of the flavor, as it's more sour than traditional yogurt. So far I have tried the Dannon Oikos and the Yoplait Greek yogurt- but both were a no go for me. I also tried the Ben and Jerry's Frozen Green Yogurt and didn't like it as well. Maybe there is one brand that is better than all the others, but so far I have not found it.

Nope, I think it's foul!
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I hated it too and, believe me, I tried a bunch of different kinds. I finally found one I can tolerate, though. Dannon Lite & Fit Greek in vanilla is pretty good. I have it with blackberries for breakfast or when I'm craving something sweet. It doesn't leave your mouth feeling dry and chalky like the other ones I've tried and the macros are about equal to the more popular brands.
  • alicecee92
    alicecee92 Posts: 16
    Options
    Perhaps try it with a little organic honey or some fruit? I'm not a fan of Greek yogurt plain but LOVE it when it's mixed with something a little sweet!
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i mix mine with sugar free jello powder and protein powder. and stevia if needed, not usually tho. i pop it in the freezer for a bit and have it as dessert every night

ETA: spelling
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Eating it plain... of course it's going to taste bad. You gotta add stuff to it.

Now, if you add some tasty stuff to it and you still don't like it... well, I dunno. I love it with some preserves and honey. Delicious.
  • IamBlackMamba
    IamBlackMamba Posts: 229
    Options
    Greek yogurt seems to be one of the favorite foods in the healthy eating world and I wanted so badly to love the stuff. But I cannot stomach it- the texture makes me gag and I'm not a fan of the flavor, as it's more sour than traditional yogurt. So far I have tried the Dannon Oikos and the Yoplait Greek yogurt- but both were a no go for me. I also tried the Ben and Jerry's Frozen Green Yogurt and didn't like it as well. Maybe there is one brand that is better than all the others, but so far I have not found it.

Yes. End of thread.
  • losingdreamie
    Options
    I did only try the light versions. I heard that Fage is good from someone else too, so I need to try that one. I love regular light yogurt so I really do want to like the Greek kind as well.

If you think the texture is funny on the other the Fage probably won't be good to you either. I think its even thicker than most of the others. I personally love it but if its a texture thing this may not be it for you.
  • RCMPWannaBe
    RCMPWannaBe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Iogo is pretty good, but I've found I HATE the stuff plain. Eating it as a flavor is the only way to go.
  • MsAnn07
    MsAnn07 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I can't stand it!!! I do however out it in my protein smoothies to disguise the taste..works well for me.
  • tRiNaBeAnZz
    tRiNaBeAnZz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    you have to add things to it.

i eat plain fat free chobani
    i add 2 tbsp of organic powdered peanut butter which is only 45 calories, 4 grams of protein and turns the flavor into basically a PB pudding

or i add a scoop of protein to my yogurt and it takes on the flavor of the protein

Me too! :) I just discovered protein powder makes plain Greek yogurt taste like pudding! And I agree - watch the sugar! Some of those brands have 12g or more!
  • odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Nope! I hate it too. I started cutting up fruit and blending it then adding to yogurt. I love the Yoplait Greek yogurts.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I only eat the flavored kinds by themselves. I do use the plain as a substitute in my chicken salad as mayo and also make ranch dressing with it.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    The different brands have very different taste so if you don't like one try something else. I like Chobani, especially hte Vanilla but my wife will only eat Fage.

Also stick to the "greek yogurt" brands ie: Fage, Chobani, etc. Dannon, Yoplait, and the rest of their ilk have turned something that is supposed to be healthy into a cup of sugar; their greek versions are also not very good.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Every brand/flavor I have tried has been vile.

HOWEVER!

Stonyfield Farms makes a **delicious** frozen greek yogurt!

Oikos Nonfat Greek Frozen Yogurt in chocolate is the only chocolate "diet friendly" ice cream I have found that doesn't taste like an *kitten* covered in windex. The only store that sells it in my area is a 45 minute drive away, so when I get it, I fill up an entire shelf of my freezer.
  • x3BeccaBearx3
    x3BeccaBearx3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i cant stand it! when my boyfriend has it i make him eat it far away from me lol
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    you have to add things to it.

i eat plain fat free chobani
    i add 2 tbsp of organic powdered peanut butter which is only 45 calories, 4 grams of protein and turns the flavor into basically a PB pudding

or i add a scoop of protein to my yogurt and it takes on the flavor of the protein

Me too! :) I just discovered protein powder makes plain Greek yogurt taste like pudding! And I agree - watch the sugar! Some of those brands have 12g or more!

Hmmm, I wonder if this will make me like the taste of the protein powders.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Nope! I can't stand it. Like you, I wanted to love it, but YUCK!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I HATE IT!