Am I the only one who hates Greek yogurt?

Options

Replies

• Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    hate it too. nasty sour stuff. give me Krogers low-carb yogurt anyday and I recently moved to a place where there is NO Krogers for 100 miles......
  • marydhastings
    marydhastings Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is definitely a personal opinion. Now, the texture you can't change. BUT there are plenty of ways to fix the sourness.
    I typically buy one large plain non fat greek yogurt, and then a few that are flavored. Chobani is my personal choice, because they have non fat greek yogurt in awesome flavors with natural fruit.
    If you try plain, try adding stuff you love in it! Personally I love greek yogurt plain with 2 tbs of natural peanut butter, and one packet of Truvia. Use it as a dip for your apples, or by itself. Super yum.
    You have to find ways to sweeten greek yogurt because it is naturally bitter. but its not impossible. (:
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    You really do need to try a few different brands to find one you like - and defo stay away from "lite". There are a couple of brands I like, and a few I can't stand, but the ones I like... I LOVE.

It's thick & creamy & delicious... *droooooool* - Having said that though, it was a taste I had to acquire. Try it with some honey or fruit syrup (jam/preserves) swirled in, and gradually decrease that super sweet stuff & sub blueberries or other berries & soon you'll be eating it straight out of the tub with a spoon... while counting the calories too of course... ;)

Having said all that, maybe it's not for you, not everyone likes everything, but I know if I didn't persevere with finding a greek yoghurt that worked for me I would now not have one of my favorite foods!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Nasty like sour cream!!
  • arcaneshadowcat
    Options
    As a general rule, I don't like the taste of Greek Yogurt, that being said, I've tried several brands of it and come to the conclusion that the Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt is doable. Chobani tasted too much like sour cream that it seemed like I should be putting it on stroganoff or in borsch, not eating it with fruit or for breakfast. Yoplait's Greek Yogurt was between Chobani and Oikos in taste. I haven't found any variety where the plain yogurt is doable for me. I suggest buying a few of each brand in flavors or fruit on the bottom mixes that you may like and try them. Potentially do a blind taste test with someone's help using sour cream, normal yogurt and the brands of greek yogurt. It should be an interesting experiment. :)
  • ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    have you tried it on top of taco salad or baked potato? I like to add ranch seasoning for a healthy dip too :)
  • alpenpam
    alpenpam Posts: 27
    Options
    I hate it, too! And personally, I actually think it's even worse with honey in it. The two tastes just don't go along, yuck!!! I stick with plain low-fat yogurt but also find it kind of disturbing that everyone seems to love it haha
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand the stuff when I eat it as is... HOWEVER, I have found that making a smoothie out of it works, and I get the benefits since it is so good for you.

1 Dannon Activia vanilla greek yogurt
    1/2 strawberries
    1/2 cup raspberries
    1/4 c orange juice
    2 packets splenda (to combat the sour greek yogurt taste)
    2 ice cubes

It is filling, you get the benefits of the greek yogurt, but the flavor is like an orange julius :)
  • Bethie_J
    Bethie_J Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is the bane of my existence. For a year, I ate the plain, fat free greek yogurt, usually with some berries mixed in. It's disgusting and awful, but it fit perfectly into my diet, and the portability was important. I just choked it down. So yeah... you're not alone.
  • falilvx
    falilvx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Nestle got their Greek yogurt too and i think the taste is just the same with normal yogurt. just an opinion.i guess my taste bud is not functioning properly :blushing:
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Nope, I hate it. Don't like the taste or texture, but I eat it because it's loaded with protein and good for ya. Sometimes I have to add a teaspoon of honey to it though. I've tried chobani and yoplait and like neither of them. I've never been a yogurt fan though.
  • Hpliza529
    Hpliza529 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also hated greek yogurt until I tried Chobani. Now I love it!
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I hate that ****!!
  • drinknderive
    drinknderive Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love Fage with strawberry. The sweetness of the strawberry mixture cuts the tartness of the yogurt.
  • adaowerri
    adaowerri Posts: 34
    Options
    girl i hate it toooo. its sooo stiff and bland
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    not saying that I like it, but I buy Natural Greek Yoghurt & stir in 1tsp of Maple syrup, it mixes real easy & tastes (IMO) delicious
  • dickensbm
    dickensbm Posts: 1
    Options
    I thought it was just me, lol. No I don't like it either! I have tried to like it, but I just rather not eat it. haha...
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can't stand any yogurt and certainly not greek yogurt. I do cook with it though, as I have found a lot of recipes lately that ask for it to thicken or cream up a sauce
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm with you it is nasty....taste so bad. No thanks tried it once and a small bite and thought how could anyone eat this. They must not have any taste buds...not for me.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Fage 0% is my favourite!

I do have it plain too as I have developed a taste for it that way. It was also nice in between sips of a glass of red wine as it cleansed the palate in between and I could really taste the different flavours in the wine hehe.