Discouraging Coworkers

Options
Tigger228
Tigger228 Posts: 23 Member
Hey everyone!

I've been having a problem with my coworkers lately regarding my diet and it's really getting to me. I work for a very large truck company and my company has three other employees (one of which is in the warehouse) and two are in the office with me and one is my direct supervisor. I am asked on a daily basis what I'm eating regardless if it's breakfast or lunch and when I respond I get very negative/discouraging comments such as "I love peanut butter and jelly but having it on wheat bread ruins it" (as I'm eating it and loving it on wheat bread". They also have the mentality that their death is predetermined and that they are going to live their lives as they want to - smoking and eating very unhealthily. The comments and harassment started almost 2 years ago when I became vegetarian for health and ethical reasons but as my diets get healthier - their comments get worse. I've always respected people who take care of theirselves and would never think of insulting them which is why I think it bothers me so much.

I've weight around 160-170 lbs my entire life until I went on birth control to help regulation with my period/mood about 3 years ago and over that time I gained 50 pounds and ballooned up to 210 pounds. With MFP, diet and exercise I've lost nearly 25 pounds. I've had a hard enough struggle with the support from family, friends and my amazing fiancee', who is also on MFP with me. It seems that everyone in my life is extremely supportive except for the people that I spends over 8 hours a day with, 5 days a week.

I know that I'm going to eventually explode and not have anything productive come out of it. I'm sure that people have had similiar experiences and/or would have some type of advice. HELP!

Thanks ahead of time and Happy Friday everyone :)

Replies

• JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You can confront them about it. Tell them that you do not make comments about their eating habits or lifestyle choices and that you do not care to listen to their comments about you.

I can relate to what you are feeling and experiencing because I felt that way not too long ago. It is also helpful to talk to someone about it - even to MFP members.

I am here to listen to you and to provide you support

:)
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    ReadyToBeMeAt160 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i hate that my first instinct is to tell you to start digging on what they're eating which you know is really not how i do (an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind).

I really hope people here have better constructive ideas for you love.

but for what its worth i'm really proud of you. and at least i know that that sort of discouragement actually acts in your favor since you'll want to prove them wrong :) my difficult one <3
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    On a long enough timeline, everyone's survival rate is zero, yes, but you're extending your timeline and feeling better during it.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Always be equipped with an arsenal of under-the-radar sarcastic comments. Example response: "It's a good thing you're not eating my lunch then, huh?"
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I've worked with people like this. The flip side, and just as aggravating is on the rare occasions where I'd decide "sure I'll go in on a pizza with these guys (or whatever)", I then start getting the "I thought you were on a diet" .. "you;re ruining all your hard work" .. "what happened to eating healthy" ...

Best to ignore, as they'll have a comment/dig for anything you do.

You could bring in the EXACT same lunch one of them ate yesterday, and STILL get some kind of comment from them ...
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Generally I tell people to suck it up in situations like this, but it sounds like there's a real pattern of 'food harassment' here.

First course of action would be to say to them "Look, I know we have different ideas about what to eat and how to live. If I agree to not comment on your choices, would you ease up on commenting on mine? A bit of banter was fine in the beginning, but it's gone a bit far, and got a bit old now. Thanks."

No doubt it's not going to stop dead, or go away entirely. You work in an environment where friendly ribbing is the norm, and is almost expected. So you'll probably need to be a little less sensitive as well. Just make it clear there's a limit, and make it clear when they've reached it.

If you positively cannot stand any comments whatsoever, then you probably need to be in another line of work - preferably one where you work entirely alone. I'm not trying to be mean in saying that, just pointing out that you can never, ever, 100% control the behavior of others, and that just as you shouldn't have to put up with constant comments, they shouldn't be walking on egg-shells around you.
  • sullus
    Options
    First course of action would be to say to them "Look, I know we have different ideas about what to eat and how to live. If I agree to not comment on your choices, would you ease up on commenting on mine? A bit of banter was fine in the beginning, but it's gone a bit far, and got a bit old now. Thanks."

I always went with "Shut the **** up, dip****". The above would have made them "go to 11" .. food comments PLUS "Oh wait, we cant talk about lunch, the delicate flower might cry"

Or .. critique their critique. "I'll have to give you a C- on that. In addition to failing to recognize that there was a modest portion of saturated fat in my lunch, you also neglected to comment on the mashed potatos. Get your act together, man, bring your A game next time."
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    Options
    Generally I tell people to suck it up in situations like this, but it sounds like there's a real pattern of 'food harassment' here.

I agree. and this is definitely past the line of playful joking and into harassment. Being level headed about it but strong and holding your ground is probably exactly right.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I always went with "Shut the **** up, dip****". The above would have made them "go to 11" .. food comments PLUS "Oh wait, we cant talk about lunch, the delicate flower might cry"

Yeah, you're probably right. It's all about judging the maturity of your co-workers. I guess truckers aren't known for their sensitivity and rapier wit.
  • Tigger228
    Tigger228 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much for all of the useful feedback everyone! I appreciate it!!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Personally , I would tactfully tell them to keep their negative opinions about YOUR meal to themselves, and that what you are eating is a personal choice.

If that doesn't work. Everytime you see them light up a cigarette or shovel down horrible foods, make a remark about their choices. Guaranteed, they will back off. Worked for me :laugh:
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    Options
    the two on her case aren't truck drivers but staffers in the office so i think there's a better chance of success :)
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    They can comment all they want but it's all hot air, you know. They're likely envious of you for getting in shape! Congrats on making the choices to continue getting healthier!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    "what are you eating?"

"nunya"

"what's that?"

"nunya business!"
  • sullus
    Options
    "what are you eating?"

"nunya"

"what's that?"

"nunya business!"

*Bidness
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I know it can be very bothersome when the folks that should be supporting you, just flat out arent.

I'm not sure what type of person you are, but for myself, I wouldnt be able to tolerate that long before I ended up saying something. You can certainly be polite about it, but let them know that this is whats been working for you at this time, but you'll take suggestions into consideration.

I'm sorry that this is happening to you. Keep your head held high. :) You CAN do this!

Rachael
  • melaniecmajors
    melaniecmajors Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My coworkers order chinese food at least 2 times a week and they ALL complain about their weight. I laugh. It's so funny to me because they get fed up and then ask ME for advice on how to lose weight, then they fall off the wagon and so goes the vicious circle for them. I've found that even when they ask me for advice about nutrition and exercise, they don't really want it. They just want to relate to me somehow because I'm doing what they can not. (As we speak, the pizza they ordered for lunch arrived - hysterical!!!) Perhaps your coworkers would like to relate to you somehow as well? You have achieved what most people can't - a 25lb weight loss - that takes a lot of discipline that most people don't have or are too lazy to overcome. They ENVY you! Did you ever think of that? My mindset is that I have what they want. Stop defending yourself and be confident in your choices.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    "Get the Hell off my back. I don't tell YOU how to eat".
  • katarina236
    katarina236 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who will comment on what I eat since I have been eating healthier lately. A few days ago she asked if I wanted to get takeout food for lunch and I said no thanks. She then gets a snide look on her face and says "oh that's right your watching what you eat now" It wasn't the words that she said but the way she said it. I promptly responded with "well I have lost 25 pounds by watching what I eat" then looked her up and down slowly and walked away. B****y yes but oh so satisfying. :devil:

Moral of this story. Try being nice first and not letting it build up inside or else you will do like I did. Unless you want to do like I did :wink:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Do you have to eat around them or are you able to go somewhere else to eat lunch? I don't like eating around people, especially if they are going to comment on my food. Sometimes I'll go out to my car or to another room where there aren't people around. It sounds strange but it will give you some peace and quiet to relax on your lunch break and hopefully the comments will stop since they don't see what you are eating. Also they might get the hint that you don't like to be bothered about your diet choices.