Discouraging Coworkers

Options

Replies

• semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

If that doesn't work. Everytime you see them light up a cigarette or shovel down horrible foods, make a remark about their choices. Guaranteed, they will back off. Worked for me :laugh:

Oooooh yes, this! It sure does goes both ways. They are most likely just trying to compensate for the fact that they know they are too lazy to put any effort into better health. JEALOUS.
  • Snatched614
    Snatched614 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I've been having a problem with my coworkers lately regarding my diet and it's really getting to me. I work for a very large truck company and my company has three other employees (one of which is in the warehouse) and two are in the office with me and one is my direct supervisor. I am asked on a daily basis what I'm eating regardless if it's breakfast or lunch and when I respond I get very negative/discouraging comments such as "I love peanut butter and jelly but having it on wheat bread ruins it" (as I'm eating it and loving it on wheat bread". They also have the mentality that their death is predetermined and that they are going to live their lives as they want to - smoking and eating very unhealthily. The comments and harassment started almost 2 years ago when I became vegetarian for health and ethical reasons but as my diets get healthier - their comments get worse. I've always respected people who take care of theirselves and would never think of insulting them which is why I think it bothers me so much.

I've weight around 160-170 lbs my entire life until I went on birth control to help regulation with my period/mood about 3 years ago and over that time I gained 50 pounds and ballooned up to 210 pounds. With MFP, diet and exercise I've lost nearly 25 pounds. I've had a hard enough struggle with the support from family, friends and my amazing fiancee', who is also on MFP with me. It seems that everyone in my life is extremely supportive except for the people that I spends over 8 hours a day with, 5 days a week.

I know that I'm going to eventually explode and not have anything productive come out of it. I'm sure that people have had similiar experiences and/or would have some type of advice. HELP!

Thanks ahead of time and Happy Friday everyone :)

Don't let them bring you down! Continue to do U and let them "kick rocks." You'll look AMAZING and they will eventually wanna know what you did. Sweety use all of this to your ADVANTAGE and kill them JOKERS with KINDESS :) Works everytime!!!
  • TraceyG1971
    TraceyG1971 Posts: 123
    Options
    So if they ask what you will be eating, just tell them "It's healthy and that's probably not something that you would be interested in." :happy:
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You wrote: Regardless if it's breakfast or lunch and when I respond I get very negative/discouraging comments such as "I love peanut butter and jelly but having it on wheat bread ruins it" (as I'm eating it and loving it on wheat bread".

Perfect comeback and respectful. I love peanut butter and jelly on wheat bread! YUMMY! Nothing else has to be said. Also, you are not eating 8 hours a day so enjoy the rest of the day with you co-workers. Congrats on your success and continue to go to "the wells with water" for encouragement. Everyone doesn't have to be your cheerleader. (though it might be nice)!
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I've found when people make comments such as the ones you are getting these people are trying to either make themselves feel better about themselves and their poor choices or they wish they had the willpower you have. It's like the people who try to get you to "fall off the wagon" so to speak. They don't have the willpower to eat healthy or make changes in their own lives and they want everyone to go right along with them.

If someone makes a comment about the type of food you are eating just tell them that "you like it or it best suits your diet" etc. And if you decide to splurge and they make a negative comment about that then just say "Yes, I know I did my workout for today so I can afford to have a little treat".

To be honest - I think they are just jealous that you are succeeding and they are not! Good luck and don't let anyone get you down.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, I get comments when I go out to lunch and only eat half of a burger or something like that. Best thing to do is just smile and say "that's great that it works for you, this is what works for me." Or just don't say anything. If people are making comments sometimes they're just saying things to say things, but if they're actually getting under your skin and trying to make you feel bad ignoring them is the best thing you can do.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to them about it? Nothing serious but a "I get we don't eat the same, but this cracking on the food I eat crap is getting old". I don't think coworkers have to be supportive, it's nice, but they're your co-workers not your family or friends. They should respect you and your way of eating as a coworker at least.
    I don't know your workplace, or your relationship with these people (ie friendly, tolerant, joking, etc) and any kind of reaction to that would vary based on that too. I'd knock it off if someone said "Hey, I get it, you like to tease me about XYZ, it's not funny to me", fair enough, some people may take a more blunt approach.
  • victoryaanne
    victoryaanne Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can confront them about it. Tell them that you do not make comments about their eating habits or lifestyle choices and that you do not care to listen to their comments about you.

I can relate to what you are feeling and experiencing because I felt that way not too long ago. It is also helpful to talk to someone about it - even to MFP members.

I am here to listen to you and to provide you support

:)
    I agree with this.
  • eperezamora
    eperezamora Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I really do think that you are making a big deal out of it.. Does it really matter what they think? I dont think so.... It just sounds like you want to have a pitty party.. If you are liking what you eat and eating healthier than they are, then WHO CARES, what they say. Maybe its just your job environment that you are not happy with, sounds like you should look for another job, stop caring about what others thinks, and start caring about what makes you happy..

Sorry, for being so blunt. wish you luck
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have found, not only with weight loss but with most other aspects of life, that attempting to change others' attitudes, behaviors and words is never very effective.

I have found much more success in changing my own thoughts, behaviors and words.

My advice would be to stop caring what your co-workers think or say about the food you eat and get on with things. Every person in the world is not obligated to provide us with support or encouragement.
  • foxylilchica
    Options
    I had a similar situation developing at work, with family and basically everywhere! Temptation is going to be everywhere and everybody is going to have an opinion but stay focused on what YOUR goals and YOUR reasons for your daily choices in your weigh loss journey. Remember why you're doing this to begin with and let your "fans" enjoy the show! Stay positive!
    Everybody got something to say all the time and make all kinds of suggestions on how to deal and what to do but remember you have to at the end of the day be happy with yourself your choices and your daily progress don't allow anyone to take your shine. People always have a "problem" with your strength and will power don't give it a second thought ! Stay focused and forge forward! This is your life choice don't allow them and their negative energy to bring you down to their level! Build up that self assurance and show 'em what you working toward by advancing forward! Hit me up if you need a pick me up when ever! :happy:
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You could certainly make digs back, or get mad or tell them they'll all die early.

Or you can do what will work, which is to calmly and nicely say, "I appreciate that you're interested in what I'm trying to do, but I really prefer not to talk about my food or my diet."

Period. Repeat as needed.
  • OhioViking79
    OhioViking79 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you are going through! I am from Norway originally and I am currently living in Ohio, so when I eat Norwegian food or mix American food stuffs with Norwegian habbits and ways of eating said food, i get all kinds of comments. I usually pretend i did not hear the comment and simply walk away, or go with "don't knock it till you've tried it", "it's perfect for my diet and/or me" or the "good thing i am the one eating it then, cause i love it!".

It does get tiresome yes, but then at the same time - YOU have to like what you eat, they don't. Ignore them, keep on succeeding and be and eat what you enjoy! Good luck! :smile:
  • TammyJeffBreeden
    Options
    i learned along time ago that there are alot of ignorant people in this world. I also over time have gotten thick skin (no pun intended) and learned to not let people hurt me. I dont let them have that power over me. You are doing something positive for yourself and are probably upset that they dont have the same will power.
  • Tigger228
    Tigger228 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You're all AMAZING!! Thank you so much!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    1. Go to your doctor.
    2. Print out your blood pressure, cholesterol, sugar, etc.
    3. Put up the print out where you work with a note:
    Until you can meet or beat these numbers STFU about my diet.
    4. When anyone makes a crack just point to the print out.
    5. If they still bust on you file an equal opportunity claim.
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you can eat lunch out of the office I would really consider that. Not to run away from them, but if it's nice outside and there's a park or plaza or something nearby why not enjoy it? Take your sandwich and a book or iPod and enjoy the fresh air! You'll get a break from the office and the constant food monitoring. If they try to start something just tell them you have been enjoying the warm weather. It's true!

If that's not possible or if they are all up in your grill about breakfast I would start with something like, "Oh don't worry, I won't make you drink any of my kale smoothie," delivered with a small smile, then get back to work right away. Or even just say, "OK," then get back to work. "Wheat bread? Bleeecccchhhh!" "OK," turn back to your computer screen. They are offering an unsolicited opinion and that doesn't require you to engage, you know? It doesn't hurt to start out by keeping things light or neutral. After you try that if it doesn't shut things down a more direct approach would be the way to go.

It sounds like you have made some amazing progress so keep up the good work! I agree with some other posts that it is good to keep in mind that these are your co-workers so they don't owe you any cheerleading services, but that doesn't mean they should rag on everything you eat either. What you eat for lunch really doesn't have anything to do with work unless your lunch is bourbon so they shouldn't be saying anything at all.
  • Pamella513
    Pamella513 Posts: 72
    Options
    Thank goodness the truck driver I'm married to is known for his sensitivity and wit. He is extremely supportive and proud of me for the changes I've been making.

As far as handling your co-workers, I would suggest the same thing in that you ignore their ignorance. Easier said than done, I know. If that fails, a sarcastic comeback is always good
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    ''what've you got for lunch?''
    food
    ''what sort of food?''
    food food

wind them up. drive them mad. be the kid who says ''but whyyyy?'' to every answer.
  • charliefitness
    Options
    Although these people are the ones you spend the most time with, they are clearly the least caring and not anywhere close to the most important in your life.

Your health - your business. They ask what you're eating, say food. They taunt, then remind them that there are many more people who eat like you - and those folks don't have to put up with any grief about it. They have a right to live the way they want. So do you!

I know it's hard, but don't show these people that their comments matter to you. They'll either lose interest, or you will