Is it possible to go vegan if you love meat?

Options
amaysngrace
amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
I do not necessarily hate vegetables, but I do love meat and I cannot imagine life without dairy or eggs. I was just thinking about a butternut squash soup I like to make and I thought, I could go vegan perhaps. But, then I thought about the chicken broth I use in it and the cream to make it rich and I wondered how would I replace those if I were vegan. So, then I thought it would be torture to try and be vegan. Anyone a meat lover who is now vegan and what are you thoughts about the vegan lifestyle? Is it hard to find substitutes for dairy and such? Do you have to go and purchase a gazillion supplements for all the things you do not eat? Does that cost more than just being a typical eater?

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I do not necessarily hate vegetables, but I do love meat and I cannot imagine life without dairy or eggs. I was just thinking about a butternut squash soup I like to make and I thought, I could go vegan perhaps. But, then I thought about the chicken broth I use in it and the cream to make it rich and I wondered how would I replace those if I were vegan. So, then I thought it would be torture to try and be vegan. Anyone a meat lover who is now vegan and what are you thoughts about the vegan lifestyle? Is it hard to find substitutes for dairy and such? Do you have to go and purchase a gazillion supplements for all the things you do not eat? Does that cost more than just being a typical eater?

WHY would you want to cut meat and dairy out of your diet if you like it?
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I don't understand/. If you like it; eat it.

I honestly feel like I spend less money. I don't spend money on supplements. I wish everyone would stop assuming because people don't meat we're not getting certain things. (yeah B12 I know - miso and nutritional yeast).

I use vegetable broth for everything and did even when I was a meat eater, I like the way it tastes better.

Runs away from this thread.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

you don't seem to want to go vegan... so... you shouldn't.

but for the record, coconut milk replaces cream quite easily. and you can make vegetable broths no problem. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    what? why? I'm confused - "I love meat, I think I will stop eating it."
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan a year and have never felt better. I dance (ballet) many hours every week, hike and go to the gym and I have endless energy.
    You have to do a little research but it's not so hard and there are myriads of amazing alternatives out there.
    For example, I would make the same butternut squash soup with maybe coconut milk or hemp milk and earth balance buttery spread with a good veggie broth.

The only supplement you need to take is B12 which we used to get from soil when the earth was a less damaged place and the soil full of beneficial bacteria, minerals, etc.. and we didn't need to wash our vegetables so well. But you can also just add nutritional yeast to things..delicious as a healthy parmesan cheese alternative with crushed walnuts!
    I also take vitamin D which in fact many folks need who don't live in the sun ;)

You can friend me if you like as I have learned a lot about the lifestyle. I really recommend it. So much research shows that a plant based diet is healthiest for our bodies... as well as for the earth and the animals

I'll put it to you this way...I only want to lose a few vanity pounds and firm up as I can really eat what I like now and not actually gain weight.
    Loving lentils, beans, greens, fruit, nuts and grains helps but there are "naughty" foods you can treat yourself to also ;) You can eat fairly cheaply if you buy ingredients for a delicious yellow lentil stew for example and eat it all week for lunch with a nice grain bread and then for dinner have wholewheat cheeseless pizza with veggies and tempeh "bacon" or a wild mushroom risotto ...there is so much...and I am happy to help if you would like...congrats for considering veganism :) it's the kinder and far healthier lifestyle ;)
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yes. I love meat and seafood. I grew up on it. I was a 'push all the veggies' to the side kid. And... I was vegan for well over a decade, and still am relatively close to vegan with a couple exceptions.

People ask 'why'... if I loved meat? Because if something is easy to give up, then it's not a sacrifice. My wife hates meat... she went vegan easy. I struggled. I like to examine my life, and make sure all of my actions are in line with my belief system, and a very long time ago I realized that if I could eat healthy without having animals (which I love) killed every day for me, then to not stop eating them was a critical blow to my own ethical system.

I eat eggs now. But only from our lovely, lovely chickens that are treated like pets (they sit on our laps, and all have distinct personalities like cats and dogs do). And they'll never be slaughtered for food, even after they stop laying. I'm okay with that. Heck, if someone goes out and hunts and eats/uses everything, I'm okay with that. But I can not, and will not, be okay with what factory farms do to animals (debeaking chickens, for example). Or the way most animals are treated in the average slaughterhouse. I don't want to support that, even if I 'like' the taste of meat.

Right now there's also some whey in one of the supplements I use, and as soon as that runs out I won't be using that.

Life is making decisions. That's one I made. And if I didn't like meat in the first place, it wouldn't even matter. But I gave up something I do love, and in the process have dropped support from a large number of industries I simply can't abide by. That's a trade I'm willing to make.

I also visit lots of farms. Many of them very well maintained, safe, and caring. Some have to send some of their animals to slaughter. I get that. It's not my thing, but I get it. But most meat comes from factory farms, and the practices they use are... vile. Absolutely vile. Hormones, chemicals, and mutilation (such as, but not limited to debeaking chickens).

If people want to eat meat, go for it. You're not me. You're you. But don't act like it's a simple matter of taste. There is decision in everything we do, even if we don't think about it.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Do you really believe that everyone in the world who is vegan is so because they decided they don't "like" animal meat?

Completely illogical. Most people who are vegan didn't say "I don't like meat. I think I'll go vegan."

So yes, it is possible to go vegan if you love meat.
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    I have been vegan a year and have never felt better. I dance (ballet) many hours every week, hike and go to the gym and I have endless energy.
    You have to do a little research but it's not so hard and there are myriads of amazing alternatives out there.
    For example, I would make the same butternut squash soup with maybe coconut milk or hemp milk and earth balance buttery spread with a good veggie broth.

The only supplement you need to take is B12 which we used to get from soil when the earth was a less damaged place and the soil full of beneficial bacteria, minerals, etc.. and we didn't need to wash our vegetables so well. But you can also just add nutritional yeast to things..delicious as a healthy parmesan cheese alternative with crushed walnuts!
    I also take vitamin D which in fact many folks need who don't live in the sun ;)

You can friend me if you like as I have learned a lot about the lifestyle. I really recommend it. So much research shows that a plant based diet is healthiest for our bodies... as well as for the earth and the animals

I'll put it to you this way...I only want to lose a few vanity pounds and firm up as I can really eat what I like now and not actually gain weight.
    Loving lentils, beans, greens, fruit, nuts and grains helps but there are "naughty" foods you can treat yourself to also ;) You can eat fairly cheaply if you buy ingredients for a delicious yellow lentil stew for example and eat it all week for lunch with a nice grain bread and then for dinner have wholewheat cheeseless pizza with veggies and tempeh "bacon" or a wild mushroom risotto ...there is so much...and I am happy to help if you would like...congrats for considering veganism :) it's the kinder and far healthier lifestyle ;)

Thanks, for answering my question. I am simply considering it because of the health benefits involved but some people on here seem to be getting on me about making the statement that I love meat, so I should not give it up. I also love to have good health because I need to be able to continue to care for my severely autistic son who is my only child, as I am his only parent, and the only person in the world who cares about his well-being, so that is why I would consider going vegan. Thanks for being patient with me and explaining the lifestyle for me.
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"Thanks, for answering my question. I am simply considering it because of the health benefits involved but some people on here seem to be getting on me about making the statement that I love meat, so I should not give it up. I also love to have good health because I need to be able to continue to care for my severely autistic son who is my only child, as I am his only parent, and the only person in the world who cares about his well-being, so that is why I would consider going vegan. Thanks for being patient with me and explaining the lifestyle for me".
    [/quote]

You are welcome...and I think it is a great consideration :) I understood where you were coming from...
    It is sometimes hard to be vegan but if you like to cook and are a little creative in the kitchen and like online research into recipes, health etc.. then I would recommend maybe trying it for a month, seeing how you feel and then proceeding if you are liking the benefits (and I think you will).

I always take anyone who wants to try a vegan lifestyle seriously as it is the greatest gift to our bodies, the earth and the animals...and yes, will help you to be energetic and healthy to take care of those you love as well as yourself :)
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    Yes. I love meat and seafood. I grew up on it. I was a 'push all the veggies' to the side kid. And... I was vegan for well over a decade, and still am relatively close to vegan with a couple exceptions.

People ask 'why'... if I loved meat? Because if something is easy to give up, then it's not a sacrifice. My wife hates meat... she went vegan easy. I struggled. I like to examine my life, and make sure all of my actions are in line with my belief system, and a very long time ago I realized that if I could eat healthy without having animals (which I love) killed every day for me, then to not stop eating them was a critical blow to my own ethical system.

I eat eggs now. But only from our lovely, lovely chickens that are treated like pets (they sit on our laps, and all have distinct personalities like cats and dogs do). And they'll never be slaughtered for food, even after they stop laying. I'm okay with that. Heck, if someone goes out and hunts and eats/uses everything, I'm okay with that. But I can not, and will not, be okay with what factory farms do to animals (debeaking chickens, for example). Or the way most animals are treated in the average slaughterhouse. I don't want to support that, even if I 'like' the taste of meat.

Right now there's also some whey in one of the supplements I use, and as soon as that runs out I won't be using that.

Life is making decisions. That's one I made. And if I didn't like meat in the first place, it wouldn't even matter. But I gave up something I do love, and in the process have dropped support from a large number of industries I simply can't abide by. That's a trade I'm willing to make.

I also visit lots of farms. Many of them very well maintained, safe, and caring. Some have to send some of their animals to slaughter. I get that. It's not my thing, but I get it. But most meat comes from factory farms, and the practices they use are... vile. Absolutely vile. Hormones, chemicals, and mutilation (such as, but not limited to debeaking chickens).

If people want to eat meat, go for it. You're not me. You're you. But don't act like it's a simple matter of taste. There is decision in everything we do, even if we don't think about it.

Good point!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Anything is possible.

I was vegan for ~5 years for ethical/environmental reasons and it was terrible for me. And I wasn't a junk-food vegan. Greens, supplements, seaweed, oils, seeds... I spent a fortune. I gained weight, had digestive problems, and bad skin. I was always hungry.

A vegetarian holistic doctor recommended I eat meat and I felt a million times better. I had to decide to find a different way to live my vaues. I'm careful about where my food comes from, but I would never cut out animal products again.

People do have different needs. I have happy, vital vegan friends.

As far as the tastes, your tastes may change and you probably won't want meat or dairy if it works well for you.
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    Anything is possible.

I was vegan for ~5 years for ethical/environmental reasons and it was terrible for me. And I wasn't a junk-food vegan. Greens, supplements, seaweed, oils, seeds... I spent a fortune. I gained weight, had digestive problems, and bad skin. I was always hungry.

A vegetarian holistic doctor recommended I eat meat and I felt a million times better. I had to decide to find a different way to live my vaues. I'm careful about where my food comes from, but I would never cut out animal products again.

People do have different needs. I have happy, vital vegan friends.

As far as the tastes, your tastes may change and you probably won't want meat or dairy if it works well for you.

This is also something to consider, thanks for mentioning this.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Its easy to eat vegan if you want to. You read up , learn recipes and choose foods you like.
    Its easy to get into different eating habits, and easy to get into different exercise routines.
    There is no point doing anything you don't want too, and I don't remember any one saying if you
    choose to be vegan or do a certain exercise , that you have to stick to that forever without ever varying
    either.
    There are no rules, just options and choices, we are very fortunate in the west!
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I really love meat too -- I used to exist on meat and bread.

Many years ago I went to visit my mother, and she always used to cook big meals when I visited. One night she made a pork roast, with potatoes, turnip, green beans, onions, cole slaw, salad and applesauce. Everything looked great and I loaded up my plate. I realized I didn't have room for the pork, becuase my plate was full of vegetables, and it made me realize that I'd grown to really enjoy vegetables.

Since then I've cut back considerably on my meat intake. Before, 3/4 of my plate used to be meat -- now it's 1/4.

The thought of going vegan has crossed my mind on occasion. But when I really think about it, I realize I could never, and would never want to, eliminate meat completely. It takes a bit more time to prepare the veggies but it's worth the effort - I've added so many to my menus - like eggplant and spagetti squash and summer squash, and cauliflower. (Growing up we had peas and carrots and string beans)

Variety is the spice of life. I'm trying to diversify my menus a bit so I won't get bored.
  • spiritcentral
    spiritcentral Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 9 years. A vegetarian that ate pizza, mac and cheese, chips, oreos, etc.
    I didn't really care for meat when I became a vegetarian, except Turkey, I did like Turkey.
    Recently I went plant based, which means I'm still a vegetarian, but no processed foods. Real fruits a veggies.
    I feel tons better. And weight has been dropping off. Most days I am vegan (no dairy or cheese). As a person who loves cheese at first I found it hard, now it's no big deal. Cheese is a very additive food for some people (me) and once you remove it for a while you may find you don't need it at all.

If you love meat, then eat meat. You could also try a hybrid approach.
    1- eat real fruits and veggies
    2- remove all processed foods
    3- remove salt, and NON fruit sugars
    If you did the above and still ate meat, you would likely feel good.
    4- Eat meat only a few days a week

Being vegan is not an all or nothing thing. Anyone who says it is, is on a high horse. Everyone has bad days, even if they are vegan. Try eating meat 3-4 days a week and a plant based vegetarian or vegan diet the other days. Then you can have both. After doing that for a while, if you decide to go vegan, you would already be half way there. It gives you a chance to see if it would work for you.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Why would you WANT to go vegan if you love meat? #makesnosense
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I eat almost exclusively meat, but I have vegan friends. I agree with it from a moral viewpoint, that eating the flesh of another being, sentient or not, might be somehow wrong; especially when you consider the inhumane treatment that animals receive before being slaughtered (in USA anyway).

I'm just an ethical coward. I'm too selfish to be overly concerned about the health of someone else over my own. Eating meat/eggs/dairy is the best way to keep myself in prime fitness, and if I don't keep myself healthy, then I can't do anything good in the long run with my life. So I keep doing it.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Thanks, for answering my question. I am simply considering it because of the health benefits involved but some people on here seem to be getting on me about making the statement that I love meat, so I should not give it up. I also love to have good health because I need to be able to continue to care for my severely autistic son who is my only child, as I am his only parent, and the only person in the world who cares about his well-being, so that is why I would consider going vegan. Thanks for being patient with me and explaining the lifestyle for me.

This is only assuming that eating meat is unhealthy. Which it is not.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Being vegan is not an all or nothing thing. Anyone who says it is, is on a high horse. Everyone has bad days, even if they are vegan. Try eating meat 3-4 days a week and a plant based vegetarian or vegan diet the other days. Then you can have both. After doing that for a while, if you decide to go vegan, you would already be half way there. It gives you a chance to see if it would work for you.

Excellent advice. I eat a vegan diet about 70% of the time because I find that a plant-based diet makes me feel better. But I still eat meat, fish, cheese, and eggs on occasion, so I find that a semi-vegan diet is a good compromise. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, especially if you are doing it for health reasons.
  • slyrat
    slyrat Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm a huge meat eater, but last year I did a vegan "trial run" for a couple months. It was definitely interesting. I became much more conscientious of food and the ingredients in them (it seems like almost everything has a meat or dairy product in them at first!) I also picked up some new meals and found foods I really liked and still enjoy, like almond milk and ice cream. Ultimately it wasn't really sustainable for me, especially because I'm in the culinary industry. I also gained weight because I was ingesting way more carbs than I used to. But if you're thinking about it, I'd say try it out and see how you like it. At the very least you'll probably find new foods to incorporate into your diet.