Tofu? Really???

Can anyone let me know what to do to make tofu appealing. I LOVE vegetarian food but tofu leaves me cold!!!! I love spicy food as well so wonder if anyone can inspire me please?

Replies

• aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    It's very bland but it's very good at absorbing other flavours - so if you like spice, make a spicy sauce and leave the tofu to marinade in it for a while! Then you could bake or stir fry it
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    I'm afraid I can't stomach it either, it's the texture that puts me off. It's just nasty!
  • loloangel
    loloangel Posts: 24
    It's very bland but it's very good at absorbing other flavours - so if you like spice, make a spicy sauce and leave the tofu to marinade in it for a while! Then you could bake or stir fry it

I am wondering why I would add it to a dish if it is so bland? Can't I just eat more vegetables or is tofu such a good source of protein?
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    like to shallow fry after coating in flower and chopped chilli, or you can marinade and do the same. the flour and the shallow fry changes the texture and the coating becomes crispy.

teriyaki is pretty awesome. you could also soak them in vegetable stock and then coat like fried chicken.
  • loloangel
    like to shallow fry after coating in flower and chopped chilli, or you can marinade and do the same. the flour and the shallow fry changes the texture and the coating becomes crispy.

teriyaki is pretty awesome. you could also soak them in vegetable stock and then coat like fried chicken.

Thanks, I love teriyaki so might try that. I have never even bought it before!! I have a tofu phobia!! LOL
  • kitza101
    kitza101 Posts: 99 Member
    I love, love, love tofu, and I love it plain as well as with other things, so possibly I'm not of much help!

Extra firm tofu is great chopped into cubes and added into a stirfry - I like it with a chilli satay sauce. I also love agadashi tofu, which you can try making at home - basically lightly fried tofu with a dashi sauce. Maybe not the healthiest, but yummy! http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/16144/Tofu_in_dashi_(agedashi_tofu)
  • nikilis
    I love, love, love tofu, and I love it plain as well as with other things, so possibly I'm not of much help!

Extra firm tofu is great chopped into cubes and added into a stirfry - I like it with a chilli satay sauce. I also love agadashi tofu, which you can try making at home - basically lightly fried tofu with a dashi sauce. Maybe not the healthiest, but yummy! http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/16144/Tofu_in_dashi_(agedashi_tofu)

amen girlfriend. agadashi tofu is really good! I also like making kitsune soba with the aburage tofu pockets with mushrooms kelp and nori.

widen your palettes people!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

^^^ this

I love meat, but I also love tofu, especially in a curry. I don't eat it often because it's expensive where I live, but mmmmmmmm tofu curry

one of the important things about vegetarian cooking is you can't just replace the meat in meat recipes, you have to cook differently. So maybe look up some vegetarian and vegan recipes on the internet.
  • Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    Make sure you press it first. Wrap it in paper towels then put some weight on it and leave it for 15 minutes or so.

That makes it more spongey (in a good way) and it makes it absorb flavours and keep its shape better.

I usually cube it and but it in a plastic container with a bit of cornflour and some seasoning and shake it about to coat it - doesn't take much. Fry the prepared cubes in a non stick pan with a bit of oil, I find half a teaspoon of canola + half a teaspoon of sesame is enough too give some colour to a whole bock which serves 3 of us but YMMV if your pan is older/scratchier.

It's ready to add to soup and stir fries then.

If you use it in soup make sure the broth is really well flavoured and it will absorb it.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    It depends on which texture you get. My favorite is Nasoya Tofu Plus Sprouted tofu in extra firm. It's like, hard and unyielding. I like to slice it into cubes and put it in a non stick pan on high to brown them up. Once they are brown I add some Kikkoman stir fry sauce and some already cooked frozen stir fry vegetables. Tastes so good, and the tofu just tastes like sauce. Another AMAZING trick I learned is to squeeze the crap out of that same tofu, squeeze all of the water out (you can use a strainer and push all of the water out). You should be left with crumbles that kind of resemble a dry ricotta cheese. I then add garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. I can use this as an Italian base protein for anything. I used it in stuffed shells and I didn't even miss the cheese. You could also just add it to spaghetti sauce or some vegetables. The trick is to season the crap out of it, otherwise it tastes like nothing. Good luck!
  • loloangel

amen girlfriend. agadashi tofu is really good! I also like making kitsune soba with the aburage tofu pockets with mushrooms kelp and nori.

Thanks, I may try that as well. Tofu is just something I haven't explored. I am happy to try new things!!
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    I worked in China for 2 months and told my (also British) boss out there "I don't like tofu".

He said "You haven't tried all the forms of tofu."

So I tried tofu stir fry, tofu and fish stew, compressed tofu, brown tofu, Korean-style tofu and....

I DO NOT LIKE TOFU!! :noway:

Try soya beans and quinoa for bumping up protein...much more palatable! :laugh:
  • nikilis

Thanks, I may try that as well. Tofu is just something I haven't explored. I am happy to try new things!!

high five girl!

tumblr_inline_mfrfs00q751rc7f72.gif
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    All of the above are great suggestions. I've always hated tofu but now I love it after experimenting with it for over a year of being a vegetarian.
  • ShimmerKitten
    ShimmerKitten Posts: 50 Member

I am wondering why I would add it to a dish if it is so bland? Can't I just eat more vegetables or is tofu such a good source of protein?

Tofu is made to absorb other flavours. i dont eat it often, but when i do i try to make it as flavourful as possible.
  • loloangel
    I am going to buy some today and make a delicious dish with it tomorrow...watch this space...or another one! Not liking the sound of squeezing the water out but I will do it if I have to!!!!! I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED BY TOFU!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Oh, and you should try tempeh too. It has a more earthy flavor and it's higher in protein. I prefer it over tofu.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    I do eat meat sometimes, but do admittedly have a mostly vegan diet. I find that if I buy the firm tofu and marinade it in Chinese style (Szechuan-style) spicy sauces, it goes really well. I normally use a Kung Pao Chicken sauce for mine. The sauce mix is vegan friendly, it was just designed as a chicken marinade. Works just as well with tofu IMO.
  • nikilis
    Oh, and you should try tempeh too. It has a more earthy flavor and it's higher in protein. I prefer it over tofu.

I totally forgot about tempeh! going to put that back on the menu!
  • sarahhorrigan
    sarahhorrigan Posts: 64 Member
    I always freeze it first - and then defrost to use because it firms up the texture. Make sure you also squeeze out any excess water as that'll contribute to the squish-factor. I put it on a dry tea towel (on top of a chopping board) with another towel above and then put a heavy flat weight on it for about half an hour and that really helps it along. Salt and pepper tofu is yummy - just mix salt and ground pepper with cornflour, put the flour mix in a bag, put in a bit of your tofu (which you've cut into chunks)... shake it about... then fry. Really delicious in a stir fry - and even yummier if you freeze it after cooking and use it again.