Tofu? Really???

Replies

• loloangel
    loloangel Posts: 24
    Oh, and you should try tempeh too. It has a more earthy flavor and it's higher in protein. I prefer it over tofu.

Never heard of that, will look for that thanks
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Don't forget fermented tofu! Awesome! Little dab will do ya!
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Can anyone let me know what to do to make tofu appealing. I LOVE vegetarian food but tofu leaves me cold!!!! I love spicy food as well so wonder if anyone can inspire me please?

The only thing that makes tofu appealing to me is somebody else eating it. :tongue:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member

or take it to the next level with natto: fermented soya beans

natto.jpg

gotta love japan!
  • fushouka
    fushouka Posts: 9
    I grew up with tofu so I can't imagine not eating it. I might actually be in love with fried tofu.

Cooking With Dog on Youtube did a great video on Tofu cheesecake. It's incredible and not terrible on the calorie front.
  • I'm not sure what my sister does to it but she can make the texture almost meat like! The texture is really what puts me off most about tofu and she gets rid of that - I think she fries or grills it and it's always spicy when she makes it which is good cause it does take attention away from the overall taste.

Quorn is another vegetarian meat substitute and I love it - come to think of it my sister makes that amazingly too.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member

natto.jpg

gotta love japan!

Mmmm. That looks yummy. I must try that! :love:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    I grew up with tofu so I can't imagine not eating it. I might actually be in love with fried tofu.

Cooking With Dog on Youtube did a great video on Tofu cheesecake. It's incredible and not terrible on the calorie front.

hehe. I watch cooking with dog too. that dog is very well behaved.
  • loloangel
    loloangel Posts: 24

natto.jpg

gotta love japan!

TOO FAR!!!!!
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    I always freeze it first - and then defrost to use because it firms up the texture. Make sure you also squeeze out any excess water as that'll contribute to the squish-factor. I put it on a dry tea towel (on top of a chopping board) with another towel above and then put a heavy flat weight on it for about half an hour and that really helps it along.

Exactly what I was going to say. I always freeze tofu now as it gives it a much firmer and less rubbery texture.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member

natto.jpg

gotta love japan!

I love natto! But it's fermented by Bacillus subtilus and is actually less intense than the "stinky tofu" you buy in jars.

One way to check if you are in a real Japanese restaurant is to look for natto. Good stuff!
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Have you tried egg tofu? They are pretty low calorie for a piece and have a less bland taste. (But I love tofu personally so...)

How about tofu with kimchi since you like spicy food?
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Love tofu. I usually put it in stir fry but I always cut off a chunk and eat it plain. Tempeh is amazing - definitely worth trying if you haven't yet.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Tofu is really versatile. You can use it in dishes from stir frys to chocolate puddings. As others have said it's great at absorbing flavours so is good to be marinated. It's also great in some puddings as it can when blended add creaminess without the need for dairy. Just Google it there is a myriad of things you can do with it just remove all your preconceptions and be willing to try things and experiment and you will be pleasantly surprised. If you want some specific recipes message me and I'll dig some out for you.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Don't eat it if you don't like it.

I have found it all depends on how you prepare it and cook it. I only like it when all the water is squeezed out. I cut a slice, wrap it in a towel and put it under a plate. I put something like a bottle of water on the plate to make it heavier. Leave it for a bit until a lot of the water is gone. I than spread buffalo sauce on it and fry it in a bit of oil.
  • harliqueen
    harliqueen Posts: 4
    I only like pressed tofu. It's a lot firmer than than even the 'extra firm' tofu. I marinate it for a bit in soy sauce, fish sauce, chilli flakes and sesame oil. And then sautee until a little golden. Delicious!
  • meaningful99
    meaningful99 Posts: 174
    A quick and easy way is after pressing it, cut it into cubes, marinate it or toss it in a little barbecue sauce, and then toast in the toaster oven until slightly chewy/crispy on the outside. Good on a salad, with rice, or on a sandwich. Good luck!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    So glad someone mentioned "cooking with dog"! I think I must have watched ALL her cooking videos when I was in college! :)
  • jtangcs
    jtangcs Posts: 37 Member
    I honestly have to say that I grew up on tofu and I love it... especially since I'm not a huge milk-drinker, so this really helps with supplementing my calcium intake. My mom's just steamed soft tofu and splashed a little soy sauce and oil on it, but I do admit, Mom's simple recipe is a bit of an acquired taste.

For newbies trying to see if they'll like it, consider spicing it up with Szechuan hot sauce. Check out the recipes here: http://www.sunrise-soya.com/ I've used one or two of them on friends, and they seemed to enjoy it. Good luck!
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    This is AMAZING!!!! Use it all the time...tasty alongside almost any dish!

BRYANNA'S "BREAST OF TOFU"

This recipe has appeared in all of Bryanna Clark Grogan's books.
    Makes 32 slices

I always have some extra-firm tofu slices marinating in the following mixture. They will keep refrigerated in the marinade for up to two weeks, ready for a quick and delicious meal. They can be pan-fried plain on a nonstick skillet, or coated with Seasoned Flour and shallow-fried to make a crispy "skin" that is delectable hot or cold. Serve them plain, in salads and sandwiches, or with any sauce that you would have used on chicken. Instead of slices, you can marinate chunks, for using in kebabs,etc.

1 and 1/2 to 2 lbs. extra-firm or pressed tofu (NOT silken tofu!) -NOTE: You can also do this with firm tofu, if you like it a bit softer

MARINADE:
    1 and 1/2 cups water
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
    2 teaspoons dried sage leaves, crumbled (or 2 T. fresh, chopped)
    1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (or 1/2 T. fresh)
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1/2 T. fresh, chopped)
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Prepare the marinade by mixing all of the ingredients together in a 5 cup rigid plastic container with a tight lid. Slice the tofu about 1/4" thick and place in the marinade so that it is fairly tightly-packed and covered with liquid. Cover and refrigerate for up to two weeks, shaking daily.

To Pan-Fry: Simply cook the slices over medium heat in a good-quality nonstick skillet until golden brown on both sides.
    To Oven-Fry:Coat the slices in Seasoned Flour (below). Lay the slices in single layers on oiled DARK cookie sheets (they brown better), not touching. Bake at 400°F for about 15 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden. Turn the slices over and bake about 15 minutes more, or until the other side is golden. Cool on racks if not eating immediately. To Make Crispy Slices: (Bryanna’s favorite way) Coat the slices with Seasoned Flour (below). Heat about 1 T. of olive oil or neutral cooking oil in a heavy bottomed 10" skillet over Medium heat (no hotter). When the oil is hot, add the slices and cook, watching carefully, until golden brown and crispy on the bottom. Turn the slices over and cook the other side until golden and crispy. The medium heat works really well when frying things crispy in less oil than usual (I used to do these in 1/4 c. oil at high heat).

BRYANNA’S SEASONED FLOUR
    Keep some of this in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator-- you'll find many uses for it. Mix together 2 cups unbleached flour or whole wheat, or other wholegrain flour, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes, 1 teaspoon salt, and, optional, 1 teaspoon onion powder and freshly-ground black pepper to taste.

Copyright © Bryanna Clark-Grogan