Is it okay to have a cheat day?

Options
I feel so bad. Today I went to lunch with my fanily and ate a bunch of pizza and pasta and just crap. I am sure I have eaten way over 1200. Is it ok to have a cheat day? I feel like it is gonna ruin everything. I tried to track what I ate but I ate buffet and it said if I ate everyday like today I'd gain a lot of weight back. Is this going to ruin my diet????

Replies

• JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal once a week- though I don't go crazy, I probably eat between 2,000 and 2,500cals for the entire day. So at about maintenance

I don't think it will do any harm at all, though you should try not to binge.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You might notice a water weight gain for a few days. As long as you don't eat like that again for awhile, you will be fine. :tongue:
  • xxash19
    xxash19 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think its okay to have a cheat day once in a while, a lot of people have a cheat day once a week. I would just do it in moderation and stay within maintenance calories. One meal won't blow your diet and make you gain fat.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    No. I hate the term "cheat day."

Lets call it a metabolism booster day or free feed day instead. By overeating every now and again, you will keep your metabolism revving and prevent a lower re-set that prolonged calorie deficits cause.
  • imamonster2000
    imamonster2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Okay, sp today is the day after my "cheat/ eat over my calorie limit day" what do I do? Do I go back to eating 1200? Do I eat less than that? Should I not eat at all to make up for eating so much yesterday?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Okay, sp today is the day after my "cheat/ eat over my calorie limit day" what do I do? Do I go back to eating 1200? Do I eat less than that? Should I not eat at all to make up for eating so much yesterday?
    Eat like normal. Your last two options sound an awful lot like an eating disorder.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    there were plenty of days in college that i didn't study. i still graduated.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are ok as long as you don't go overboard with it... I prefer having a day where i have a cheat meal if i can say so, sometimes people have a cheat day and cheat too much and in large portions. This could affect a weight loss, but if you allow yourself treats and with moderation, no problem!!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Sure. You're not cheating...youre living. Enjoy yourself....and move on. You don't need anyone's permission. Its only "cheating" if you're on some imposed regimen....which you aren't. You are making lifestyle choices and an occasional indulgence is perfectly ok.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    To celebrate my lowest weight ever I'm having tons and tons of Texas style BBQ for lunch...yeahhhhhhhh:love:
    Holy @$it!!!! My 1000th post!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    there were plenty of days in college that i didn't study. i still graduated.

This is a great answer.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It's not okay. It's totally fine! What is life if you can't indulge every now and then? :)
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Lets call it a metabolism booster day or free feed day instead. By overeating every now and again, you will keep your metabolism revving and prevent a lower re-set that prolonged calorie deficits cause.

Please tell me this is true!
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When people say 'You can have a cheat day as long as you do it in moderation', I just think, how is that a cheat day if you're still thinking about 'moderation'? I really hope cheat days are ok.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Please tell me this is true!
    This is true. I enjoy all foods even cheat days and still lose. I believe the key is to continue to workout.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with a cheat day or even the occasional planned time to overeat BUT things do happen. I think when you make a mistake you recognize it, refocus on your intended goal of losing weight and get straight back to your previous diet and calorie level. No one is perfect but thus far I am doing fairly well at 53 lbs. in 6 weeks.
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I feel cheat meals (not days) are perfectly fine! I work on a 90-10 ratio. Every 9 meals I can have 1 bad one if I choose, 90% off the time you are eating clean this way :) I also feel it helps spike your metabolism and makes your body think!

I honestly feel having 1 cheat meal a week actually helps weight loss.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I feel so guilty for having cheat days! I feel like they just rock my entire week off-kilter =(
    I've only started my journey, so that's one of the things I'm just getting used to.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I feel so bad. Today I went to lunch with my fanily and ate a bunch of pizza and pasta and just crap. I am sure I have eaten way over 1200. Is it ok to have a cheat day? I feel like it is gonna ruin everything. I tried to track what I ate but I ate buffet and it said if I ate everyday like today I'd gain a lot of weight back. Is this going to ruin my diet????

nope, not going to ruin anything. just don't do it every day and dont feel bad about it, its not a big deal. infact it can be quite satisfying.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    One day isn't going to kill you. It's your lifestyle habits and your choices over time that make or break you. I don't ever have cheat days because I don't seem to need them. Are you sure you're eating enough? You may be set to too dramatic a weight loss, which might be restricting your calories too much. (Not everybody should be set to 2 pounds loss a week. Slow and steady is generally more sustainable.) Maybe you need to bump up the cals a bit. :flowerforyou: