melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    DO U WANT TO LOSE OR GAIN??????
    ONE DAY OF NOT RECORDING CALORIES AND NOT EXERCISING
    CAN MAKE U GAIN EASILY
  • mmenuey27
    mmenuey27 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    there were plenty of days in college that i didn't study. i still graduated.
    I agree with this. Just go back to your 1200 a day, or what you were eating. I have to do this, and I don't particularly care if I go over my calories once a week (as long as it isn't really over). I looked at the average over a week. I do bouce around a lot though such as going 1200 one day to 1500 the next. Its never the same but always between 1200-1500. I wouldn't go without eating though. That could cause headaches, and make you uncomfortable all day :(
    Stick with your plan after a day like that. I have lost 15 pounds so far doing what I am doing, and I haven't added consistent cardio or strength training yet, but it does help me that I am at 277 now. I burn more than others smaller than me. :)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    DO U WANT TO LOSE OR GAIN??????
    ONE DAY OF NOT RECORDING CALORIES AND NOT EXERCISING
    CAN MAKE U GAIN EASILY

NO IT CANT.........oops sorry cap lock.

Again...I have lost 98 pounds having so called "cheat days"......it's all about what you do after a day of eating what you want.
    I for one will not live the rest of my life on a strict diet.....maybe some want to and that is fine.

I will however exercise and try to eat well most of the time. I will not give up going out with friends once in awhile...sometimes
    getting a little wild and crazy........

Life is about balance.......depends what you want in your balance.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It's only cheating if you don't log it.
  • PezAzul
    PezAzul Posts: 42
    Options
    This is very interesting to me. I have dieted before and always fell of the wagon because I felt like I royally screwed up by indulging in a "cheat" meal and then felt such regret and just eventually gave up. That is (was) my big fear this go-around. I think I may loosen up and try a treat meal once every week or so. Hopefully this will help me to feel less deprived and keep me from giving up.
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It depends what you consider a cheat day and how often you have them. If you have your calories set to a high deficit and you go over a little, you could still be at a deficit. If you eat at your maintenance calories, you won't gain, but you won't lose. You have to be consistently eating at a deficit to lose weight, so if you cancel out your deficit by eating too many extra calories, you won't lose weight. The smaller your calorie deficit is, the longer it will take you to lose weight.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in "cheat" days - I believe in life and not feeling guilty for having days where I go over calories because of an event. Sure, I try to stay within my calories. But, if I'm invited to a barbecue or a wedding or I'm sitting down to Thanksgiving, I eat what I want. If I have 3 events in one week, I eat what I want at all three, because there are plenty of weeks with no special events. For me, this is a life plan, not a short term fix. How I eat has to work with my life because otherwise, I won't be successful. I say you had a perfect eating day!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in "cheat" days - I believe in life and not feeling guilty for having days where I go over calories because of an event. Sure, I try to stay within my calories. But, if I'm invited to a barbecue or a wedding or I'm sitting down to Thanksgiving, I eat what I want. If I have 3 events in one week, I eat what I want at all three, because there are plenty of weeks with no special events. For me, this is a life plan, not a short term fix. How I eat has to work with my life because otherwise, I won't be successful. I say you had a perfect eating day!

Well said.......
  • greeneyedlady02
    greeneyedlady02 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay to indulge. It sounds like you didn't enjoy it very much. Sometimes I make a note of how I feel to remind myself not to overindulge the next time. Eat a lot of green veggies, high fiber foods, and a lot of water the next day to help push things through. Get your exercise. You'll be fine.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I don'y consider it a cheat but more like a fail. I don't cheat on purpose because it's hard enough to keep my willpower up. Also, why undo all the hard work you have done for yourself?
  • rldnellor
    rldnellor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    there were plenty of days in college that i didn't study. i still graduated.

Love this response!
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    When people say 'You can have a cheat day as long as you do it in moderation', I just think, how is that a cheat day if you're still thinking about 'moderation'? I really hope cheat days are ok.

Having a cheat day for some people might mean having plenty of pancake i with ice cream for breakfats, followed by a large pizza for lunch,some chocolate bars in between, chips, 2litre of pop, than for diner ssome mcdo or bk and to end the night a couple of donuts. So then, that one cheat day will prevent you from losing weight, all the hard work you did during your previous days will be thrown out the window so yes, moderatioin is always something to keep in mind.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I think there needs to be a sticky up top about this topic since it literally comes up everyday. I see alot of people around here are great and are fine with answering the same question every couple days, but really just to keep this place all neat and tidy, it should be assumed this will be a FAQ. Post it up top and refer them to a single place about it.

Long story short, yes it's fine. I do mine based on performance. I have soft and hard goals. When I hit 2 lbs I give myself a pass to eat whatever I want. But the goal (hard goal) is to wait until I lose 5. Working great for me and its a meal, not a cheat day. Others do it once a week and its fine. Just do it in moderation. I'm able to fit most of the junk food I like into my everyday calories so its not a big deal to me anymore. I ate a jumbo jack and a large fry today at jack and worked it off and still lost a pound on the scale. Remember. It's a calorie deficit that helps you lose. You can eat whatever you want