Girls who lift...what is your routine like?

Options
I am just getting into heavy lifting, and have no program to speak of. I kind of just float around at the gym and wanted a more solid routine to stick to. What does a typical week look like for you? Any and all details would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Bump since I'm interested too.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    A few good routines to follow are:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting
    5/3/1

There is no difference between a lifting routine for men and one for women. :smile:
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Dead lifts
    Squats
    Overhead Press
    Barbell Rows
    Bench Press

I add bicep curls and tricep kickbacks just for sh1ts n giggles.
  • anniemarianas
    Options
    I'm sort of interested since im not really into lifting myself but i go to the gym with my brother 3 times a week (he actually goes every day but i only go on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays)

My brother goes every day between 4 and 8 pm and he does 4 sets of 10 reps of each thing he does - he doesn't follow a strict routine of which machine he uses first, but he starts at a weight slightly easier than what he can do and ends with the largest weight he can lift.

He's usually there for 50 minutes to an hour and a half.

I realise this was pretty vague and unhelpful since it's not about me it's about my brother and it's probably not what you hoped for but whatever I guess :/
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Twice a week I do three rounds of escalating density training (EDT). I would post some links, but I'm on a phone right now. You can easily google it.

Basically you take two exercises (they should be opposite muscle groups, but I'm not so perfect with this) and do as many reps/ sets within 15 minutes.

For instance, Mondays is as follows:
    Front squat 105 pounds/ Dumbell bench 35 pound Dumbells
    I did 9 set with 6 reps each and 3 set with 5 reps each

Then I take 15 min break

Overhead squat 80 pounds/ inverted row (no weight)
    11 sets of 6 in 15 minutes

15 minute break

Pull-ups (assisted)/dips (no weight)
    12 sets 5 reps

On Thursdays I do three more rounds with different exercises
    Push press/ lunge
    One legged squats/ clean pulls
    Snatch balance/ push ups

Twice a week I take Oly lifting classes. This will depend on what the coach give us, so it's never the same.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Look at Strong lifts 5 x 5, It consists of Deadlifts, overheads press, rows, squats and bench press.
    Two workouts 3 times a week, workout A consists of Squats, Bench Press, Barbell Rows (I do Pendlay Rows), followed by a rest day then do workout B which consists of Squats, Overhead press and deadlifts. Easy to follow
  • caviggia
    caviggia Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Lifting wise I do a lot of super sets and circuits using free weights, bars, cable machine, and other free weight machines.

I target each body part in combo's like the following:
    Chest/biceps
    Back/triceps
    Legs(quads,calves)/Shoulders
    Abs/legs(hamstring, glutes)

We try to target different sections of each muscle (ex: shoulders have different parts to target) by doing super sets of 3-4 exercises per muscles group and 4 sets. So for ex: 2 chest combined with 2 bicep moves (4 exercises) for 4 sets. We will do anywhere from 8-15 reps (25-50 for a special sculpting routine that's not often).

My friend and I will do that in 2-3 days during the week followed by a body pump class on Saturdays for endurance training (800 reps in 55 mins).

I tried to make it detailed sorry its long lol
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Check out Jamie Eason. LiveFit on Bodybuilding.com
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    right now...
    barbell squats
    overhead press
    barbell curls
    triceps extensions
    barbell bent over rows

I would like to find some more barbell exercises i can do that doesnt involve laying down as i do not have anything bench-like.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Dead lifts
    Squats
    Overhead Press
    Barbell Rows
    Bench Press

I do StongLifts, and it's this ^^^^^ divided into two separate days, 5 x 5. I've done New Rules, and liked it as well. But, I have to say that I think I'm getting better results, faster from SL.
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    A few good routines to follow are:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting
    5/3/1

There is no difference between a lifting routine for men and one for women. :smile:

or

Squats
    Squats
    Squats
    Calf Raises
    Squats
    Squats
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Deadlifts (I'm up to 260)
    bench press
    dumb bell rows
    kettle bell clean n press, two arm swing, snatches
    trap pull downs
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Dead lifts
    Squats
    Overhead Press
    Barbell Rows
    Bench Press

I do StongLifts, and it's this ^^^^^ divided into two separate days, 5 x 5. I've done New Rules, and liked it as well. But, I have to say that I think I'm getting better results, faster from SL.

I do stronglifts too. Back in college I used the machines for months with no results. I've been doing stronglifts for about a month and I'm seeing great changes in my body. Plus the program is free, which is always good. :wink:
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Dead lifts
    Squats
    Overhead Press
    Barbell Rows
    Bench Press

I add bicep curls and tricep kickbacks just for sh1ts n giggles.

I do SL too. For accessories, I throw in dips and lunges.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Lat pull down
    Tricep curl
    Row
    Chest/bench press
    Fly
    Deadlift
    Varying core move
    Squat/smith machine
    Leg curl
    Leg extension
    Thigh abductor/adductor machine

(Past couple of weeks I've had to eliminate press and fly because of a strained tendon)
    Usually 3 sets of 10, rest for 30-60 seconds between sets.
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a great beginner program! It's not complicated, doesn't take a lot of time and produces great results!

Check out the group here on MFP

Stronglifts 5x5 for Women
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I do All Pro's Simple Beginners Routine, you can read all about it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/915909-what-exactly-is-all-pro-s-routine
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I'm currently just using the circuit training equipment but am going to have my brother show me some free weight stuff at the gym this week!
  • gaveupheart
    gaveupheart Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i went with my brother and tried to do heavy lifting... sooooo hard for me. i could hardly do 10lbs dumbbells w/8 reps! sheesh. guess i'll have to suck it up and hopefully become stronger!