Girls who lift...what is your routine like?

Options

Replies

• EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    A few good routines to follow are:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting
    5/3/1

There is no difference between a lifting routine for men and one for women. :smile:

I'm doing the Stronglifts 5x5 routine and love it so far.
    It only requires about a 1/2 hour, three times per week. So on my "off" days, I can go hiking and do other things outside that I enjoy.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Tu/Thu/Sat - Stronglifts 5x5. I am starting to add a barbell or kettlebell complex into the mix to target some muscle groups and to get ready for my gym adding bumper plates. I am looking at adding cleans, jerks and snatches into the lifting rotation.
    M/W/F - Some cardio (try to keep under 20 min) and then Core, core, and a little bit of core on top of that.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts! Lift heavy 3x a week, your whole body - rather than "leg day".. "chest day" ect!

Working for me! :)
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I follow the Stronglifts 5x5 workouts, but I'm only doing it twice a week and increasing my weights much more slowly than the plan says since I try to do cardio/plyo workouts at least three days a week.

Me too. I also do SL 5 X 5 twice a week and progressing much slower, but I really got so much stronger in the time I've doing it! On the other days I do some Jillian Michaels workouts which varies between 30 - 50 minutes.
  • SocialSocks
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts 5x5.

I started with New Rules of Lifting, but switched to SL for its simplicity, and add a few things in from NROLFW when I have time / get bored.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I presume a lot of you girls with 5x5 setups are looking to get stronger, mainly? Not the best for hypertrophy.
  • lheaton
    lheaton Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Download the app to your phone for Stronglifts 5x5 - you will love it!
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just started Jamie Eason's LiveFit and I will definitely recommend the bodybuilding.com website due to it's extensive workout library, videos, and step-by-step instructions. I doubt I will follow her plan completely but is giving me lots of new ideas and they match alternative exercises to change things up. I typically lift at least twice a week right now with one upper body and one lower body. At least two exercises for each body part for 3 sets of 10 or 12 reps. Here is a list of the ones I most commonly use. Most of these are machine exercises but you can find free weight alternatives for them. EDIT: I forgot to add my cardio :) I do cardio about 4-5 days per week. 30 minutes on lifting days and an hour on other days. Hiit on the elliptical is great for me on lifting days.

Upper body:

Chest press
    Shoulder press
    Lat pull down
    Seated cable rows
    Chest fly (machine or dumbbell)
    Assisted dips
    Bicep curls
    Tricep pushdown

Lowerbody:

Deadlift
    Leg press
    Weighted lunges
    Squats (barbell or dumbbell)
    Step ups
    Hamstring Curls
    Extensions
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!!!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts 5x5.

Super simple to get going.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I usually do 2 nights of bootcamp, which is a full strength superset circuit - we use power block dumbbells for chest press, squats, lunges and Deadlifts etc..plus bands, heavy ropes, stepper for pushups, kettlebells and sandbags etc.. There is some cardio in with that and core work as well

I go to the gym usually 3 days per week and do chest and shoulders one day, back and biceps the second and usually legs the third. I do 3-4 sets of three lifts per muscle group anywhere from 6-12 reps depending how heavy. I go as heavy as I can without sacrificing form. Usually looks like this:

Chest & Shoulders:
    Bench Press
    Incline Bench Press
    Flat dumbbell press or Chest Flies
    Barbell Upright Row
    Dumbbell overhead press
    Barbell overhead press or a different shoulder press

Back & Biceps
    Seated cable row
    Pull ups or Deltoid Flies or Lat Pull Downs
    One arm dumbbell rows
    Cable Bicep curls
    Straight bar upper, lower and full Bicep curls
    Crooked bar Bicep curls

Legs
    Barbell Squats
    Leg press
    Leg extension
    Deadlifts or Walking dumbbell lunges
    Straight bar lunges

I also usually add in some cardio after weights whether its 20 mins of Treadmill Sprints or Incline Walk/Run Intervals or just a short easy run.
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Another person in for Stronglifts 5x5. I just started this routine and am really enjoying it. I also add a few other lifts, depending on the day. I am also tweaking the LS 5x5 program a little bit by lifting 4 or so days a week instead of 3 (still making sure I have some rest days).
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    another vote to all pro beginner.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the recommendations for beginners programs. I'm not a beginner and do an upper/lower split 4 days a week. 2 days of upper and lower at strentgh ranges and 2 days of upper and lower at hypertrophy ranges. However I change my routines every 6-8 weeks. Straight strentgh routines such as 5x5 bore me and just being strong is not my goal. Over 15 yrs I have done just about every split possible and this is what is best for me. I focus on compound lifts as the majority with a few isolation exercises. I may not care for SL or NROL but they are a good foundation to have in the beginning.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

I started out doing stronglifts and then I moved to a 4 day split routine for a few months but now I'm going back to something somewhat like stronglifts--but as 3x5 instead of 5x5 and with assisted pull ups instead of squats on workout B (so squats on A only).
  • alexiaans
    alexiaans Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have been toying back and forth with my splits and how often I weight train. Start with something you like and after 6 weeks, change it up a little, then change it again. Eventually you will find out what works for you best and what gives you the results you need. It will continue to evolve as you get more skilled, knowledgeable and stronger.

Currently, I weight train 6x's a week. Here is my schedule:

Back/Biceps
    Abs
    Legs
    Chest/Shoulders/Tris
    Abs
    Legs

I do supersets only, lift heavy, and usually do two sets of 10-12 reps of each excercise. I also alternate the types of excercises I do each time (free weights, body weight, cables, machines). I typically weight train from 40-50 minutes.

Good luck!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I do StrongLifts 5x5 and am now adding in additional accessory lifts. With Workout A I'm doing lower body additions (leg extensions, leg press, etc) and with Workout B I'm adding upper body-specific lifts (bicep curls, pull ups, etc.)
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I spent 3 months with a trainer doing isolation type exercises. I got bored. Now, I'm doing SL 5x5 and seeing (and feeling) much better results from it. Before I was spending around 90 minutes at the gym, with SL I'm there for about 30.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Stronglifts 5x5 and loving the results. Much better results and strength building than splits I experienced with splits.