Non-Scale Discouragement

Options
13»

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You pretty much were expecting unrealistic things. We were telling you to love yourself how you are and work toward athletic goals instead of comparing yourself to airbrushed movie stars.

pic-door-prize.jpg
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Advice? Don't compare yourself to others since people's body type and structure make a huge difference. When you reach the point where you feel good and look healthy...then that's your best weight. Forget setting a specific number.
  • Lala_White
    Lala_White Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Get to the goal you want to get to.. then go from there, if you feel that you need/want to go lower then take it in 5 pound increments (more or less.. depending on you). Of course, you may also decide that a weight is your ideal before you reach your goal. I have a goal I want to get to, I want to get to 195, but I'm thinking I might try for 175, but I also know when I get to a comfortable for ME weight, that is where I will start trying to maintain. Good luck!!

38633637.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    "It's on Wikipedia, so it's true."

Funniest damn thing I've read all day. Thanks for the laugh, OP.

I'm half tempted to set up a wikipedia account and edit her personal info, just to prove a point, but alas, I'm too lazy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Unless you are, in fact, Brande Roderick, you can't judge what you will look like based on what she looks like.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    First off... what everyone said about actresses and models lying about their weight. That's something I figured out as a skinny teenager when I'd sneak a peak at my brothers' Playboys. I was about 110 pounds and 5'5, and pretty much a skeleton. The playmates were taller than me, and every single measurement was bigger than mine, but miraculously weighed 107 pounds. Bullpoopie on that.

Secondly, scale weight is largely meaningless.

I was about 120 pounds in the first picture, and almost 15 pounds heavier in the second. The difference? In the first pic, I'd lost weight with a jaw problem (couldn't eat) and in the second, I was eating right and exercising right, so I have a lot more muscle mass.

P6170004-copy.jpg

I'm a good 20 pounds heavier in the second picture here, but the same vintage dress fits. My arms are no longer spaghetti noodles. That's the biggest difference. Well, that and I got a better hairdresser that didn't give me Spock bangs. :wink:

40sdress-copy.jpg

There's more pictures of a similar vein in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/886672-1-5-million-calories-in-775-days

Forget the scale. And don't compare yourself to others.

YES!!!!!! THANK YOU, Lorina.

OP, Wikipeda is NOT the word of God. A lot of information on there is based on...well, bull crap.

The actress you are referring to had her stats created by a publicist to get her as much work as possible. And unless Playboy has a weigh-in before and after each photo shoot, I doubt she weighed 117 even back then. She is 5'7", for cripes sake!!!

I am your height and 15 years older than you, so that would be 5'5 and 3/4 inches and 40 years old. (Unless Wikipedia says differently, I haven't checked. Since I have been on television twice, maybe I should lie about all of that, though...) just kidding. Ahem.

image_zpsfe9f91a1.jpg

Not bad for 145 pounds, eh? So honey, please don't torture yourself with that nonsense. Get to a weight that is comfortable for you (that you can maintain without being a slave to diet and exercise), weight train, and work on your self esteem. Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    Options
    I weep for the future of this world. The OP is 25. That means she probably really believes that Wikipedia is a good source of information. It's pretty common in anyone younger than 30 these days. Thankfully, some youngins know better. :-)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Lets imagine for a minute that she really is 5'7 and 117lbs (celebs lie about their weights all the time, but I'm assuming it's true for arguements sake), you would still not look the same as she does at that weight.

Different people look different at the same weight and heights. There are factors such as frame size, amount of muscle mass, where you store fat....that all determine how healthy you look, and how well you carry that weight. Don't compare yourself to anyone else, get to 130 and see how you feel when you get there. You don't need to be lighter than someone else just because.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

I am so done with the forums. The general impression I am getting from responses is I'm an idiot, a troll, and expecting unrealistic things.

Thanks for your "support". I am no longer discouraged in my goals. I realize that I will never look a certain way as this person is lying about everything that she probably doesn't even exist, so... Congrats?

And with that...yeah, good luck. You have had a lot of people here try to help you, but it appears that you can't be helped.

Edit for typo.
  • rml_16
    Options
    *waits patiently for someone to point out that all celebrities lie about their body stats. they aren't that tall, they don't weigh that little, their waist and bust don't measure out to those numbers. hell, they weren't even born in that year. if she said it, she was lying.*

Again, I know the internet can be changed, but still... It's on Wikipedia.
    I know this has been said, but please do not think Wiki is a proper and reliable source of information. If I were a teacher and a student turned in a research paper that listed Wiki as a source, I would fail that student, even if the info was correct. It's a TERRIBLE source and often wrong. It's reported that certain people were dead who were very much alive.

So, are you saying those people aren't really alive?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the movies, or any celebrity. I have a feeling most of them are not honest about their weight (who can blame them, with the tabloids and all popular media honing in so much on stuff like that…).

Anyway, I'm 5 foot nothin' and my goal is 120 and I know that will be great. At 5'7 you would be too skinny at 117, IMO.

Never judge your progress/success by someone else's progress/success. Especially a "celebrity"
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone said this, but sometimes people on tv maintain a lower weight. It looks better on tv than it does in real life (or so I hear).

Also, everyone is different. The BMI range (that people are referring to when they say someone is underweight) does not apply the same to every person equally across the board. Some people have smaller frames.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people who are even higher than 130 at your height that look good. Don't be so worried unless you get to that weight and don't feel good.
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Ok....I know we do not know each other and I am a very big girl....I need to lose 100 plus pounds you need to look at yourself not some movie star who weighs this amount or that amount just because she is the same height as you. You need to be happy with the success you have made and move forward Hell you have lost fifty plus pounds? WTG!!!!!!! woohooo awesome....doin the dance! ok sorry I got excited. I am happy for those who do well Just can't wait to be doing my own happy dance soon. As I just wrote on another reply do NOT beat yourself up just keep on doing what you are doing and the rest will fall into place....thats all for now...Lady has spoken :smile: