TDEE-20% Still seems too HIGH! So now what?!?

Options

Replies

• 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I increased mine for 1600 to 2149 two weeks ago and Im losing weight (slowly) I dont eat back my exercise cals either. Scale moved downwards for the first time since January a small loss but I'll take anything.

Female
    5ft 3"
    Eating myself out of house and home lol

Increase it for a month and see how you get on no real harm in trying
    ^ same happened here! I was eating around 1200-1300 in Jan/Feb and exercising and eating back calories-- nothing. Bumped to 1400-1500, exercised and ate back part of calories, lost some inches but no pounds. So last week I bumped to 1700 and because of my schedule wasn't able to do any exercise but ate consistently every single day and I lost 3 pounds! If you don't eat enough your body is going to hold on to what it can get. Like now, I'm about 150 calories short of my 1700 so I am eating enough almonds to get me to the 1700. I track EVERYTHING down to a little ketchup packet to a Lipton Green Tea To Go Packet to 2 animal cookies if it goes in my mouth, it gets written down. This week I will be exercising and cycling again because I will have more time but I will eat my 1700 PLUS exercise.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I increased mine for 1600 to 2149 two weeks ago and Im losing weight (slowly) I dont eat back my exercise cals either. Scale moved downwards for the first time since January a small loss but I'll take anything.

Female
    5ft 3"
    Eating myself out of house and home lol

Increase it for a month and see how you get on no real harm in trying
    ^ same happened here! I was eating around 1200-1300 in Jan/Feb and exercising and eating back calories-- nothing. Bumped to 1400-1500, exercised and ate back part of calories, lost some inches but no pounds. So last week I bumped to 1700 and because of my schedule wasn't able to do any exercise but ate consistently every single day and I lost 3 pounds! If you don't eat enough your body is going to hold on to what it can get. Like now, I'm about 150 calories short of my 1700 so I am eating enough almonds to get me to the 1700. I track EVERYTHING down to a little ketchup packet to a Lipton Green Tea To Go Packet to 2 animal cookies if it goes in my mouth, it gets written down. This week I will be exercising and cycling again because I will have more time but I will eat my 1700 PLUS exercise.

Yep! Wish I had done this ages ago hehe. Well done so far on your success :)
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Personally I know for a fact that my TDEE is waaaaay off. I'm a writer so I spend about 97% of the day sitting down typing. I know I barely burn 1000 calories doing my daily activity (thats not including exercise). SO I dont use TDEE and BMR. I try to eat only as much as I exercise in the day. So if I burn 1000, I will eat 1000. Its hard but it is working for me. I don't feel tired or malnourished.

Not to butt in, and hijack the OP's thread, but are you saying you only eat as many calories as you burn? So if you burn 600 you only eat 600? Or do you mean you eat a set amount, let's say 1200, and then eat your exercise calories on top of that?

I mean if I only burn 600, I only eat 600. I actually eat a little more usually but I try to stay even.

I was eating above my BMR for two months and steadily gaining weight. So I call bull on that and now I only eat as much as I burn or very little more. I am steadily losing weight now, not too fast about a pound a week. I feel good, not tired, not bloated like before. You have your way, I have mine. Not everyones body is the same nor is their metabolism so some people need to do things differently. If eating above your bmr works for you, great. It doesnt work for me. I dont believe that it calculates mine right so I am doing what feels right and what has proven to work for me.

Wow, It sounds like an eating disorder waiting to happen. You do realize that the less you eat, the more you lower your BMR so you'll have to eat even less to lose weight? And that weight loss will be all muscles.

look, i just came here to answer the question, not to be bombarded by your unprofessional advice. i have the support and go-ahead from a licenced dietician/nutritionist, i know myself better than a stranger on the net and so does my doctor so please just keep your insults and condemnations to yourself. thanks bye.

Wow, It sounds like an eating disorder waiting to happen. You do realize that the less you eat, the more you lower your BMR so you'll have to eat even less to lose weight? And that weight loss will be all muscles.
    [/quote]

look, i just came here to answer the question, not to be bombarded by your unprofessional advice. i have the support and go-ahead from a licenced dietician/nutritionist, i know myself better than a stranger on the net and so does my doctor so please just keep your insults and condemnations to yourself. thanks bye.
    [/quote]

WHOA! I hope you're not paying your licensed D/N much. I just looked at your diary and if that's the way they are recommending you eat, you're not getting very good advice OR you're not telling them how or what you're eating. Everyone on here is just trying to help everyone else. Also, I'm not sure you can give true experience advice considering you only started logging 4 days ago. You said you just eat back what you exercise but 4 out of 4 days, you ate more than you exercised (Friday Exercise 374 cal/ Ate 1420 cal) so you probably shouldn't tell people to do something that you're not doing, especially if it's bad advice.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Ok straight to the point, I calculated my TDEE and subtracted 20%. But it still seems kinda high and I'm trying to lose weight. Here it is:

Female 32 years old
    "5.0"
    190lbs and I exercise about 5-6 days a week

TDEE: 2492 minus 20%= 1993

I'm staying around 1300 calories per day, is that too low? If so.......Now what?!?!!???!!??

I was exactly like you.

I calculated my TDEE-20% and thought that I would never lose weight that way because that is way too many calories. I was eating between 1200-1500 calories all through last year and not getting very far at all. About a month ago, I finally decided to take the plunge and increase my calorie goal. I weighed in and measured myself yesterday and I am now weighing less than I have since 2008 with the same measurements as back then as well (which was my original goal). I increased from an average of 1500 to an average of 1800 calories, sometimes even higher than that, and I am losing body fat faster than I ever was all through last year when I was eating like a bird.

Just try it. Give it a month and see what happens. Just because it "seems" too high doesn't mean that it is too high. It might just mean that we are simply used to eating too little and don't any better. :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Personally I know for a fact that my TDEE is waaaaay off. I'm a writer so I spend about 97% of the day sitting down typing. I know I barely burn 1000 calories doing my daily activity (thats not including exercise). SO I dont use TDEE and BMR. I try to eat only as much as I exercise in the day. So if I burn 1000, I will eat 1000. Its hard but it is working for me. I don't feel tired or malnourished.

Not to butt in, and hijack the OP's thread, but are you saying you only eat as many calories as you burn? So if you burn 600 you only eat 600? Or do you mean you eat a set amount, let's say 1200, and then eat your exercise calories on top of that?

I mean if I only burn 600, I only eat 600. I actually eat a little more usually but I try to stay even.

You do realise your body needs calories for your organs to function. By only eating what you burn through workouts, you are only fueling your workouts. You're taking a huge health risk by only eating what you burn from workouts. You may not see it now, but the long term side effects can be extremely bad.

see my edit above.
    i have talked to my doctor and he supports me in this so I am going to go with his professional opinion on this, no offence

i only fuel my workouts because that is all i do in a day besides walk to the bathroom or the fridge for water. I literally sit ALL day and type or lie on the couch and play vid games with my friend who tests them. So all the fuel i need is for my workouts.

In...

...to see where this goes...

...because either your doctor misunderstood what you are doing or he is an idiot (in my not-a-medical-doctor opinion, of course).

ETA: Oh, and OP, trust the system. Don't second guess the numbers before you try them. Follow the plan for six weeks and *then* reevaluate/question the system.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I just checked your diary, you aren't eating back your exercise calories. You're supposed to. That's how the system is designed.

The MFP numbers and TDEE - 20% aren't that different if you do it right.

This!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Wut?! Say goodbye to your lean mass. :sad:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    ...I just checked your diary, you aren't eating back your exercise calories. You're supposed to. That's how the system is designed.

The MFP numbers and TDEE - 20% aren't that different if you do it right.

This!

MFP doesn't include exercise calories in it's daily allowance calculations.
    TDEE DOES include exercise calories in it's daily allowance - if you have a clue what TDEE even means.
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

You do realise your body needs calories for your organs to function. By only eating what you burn through workouts, you are only fueling your workouts. You're taking a huge health risk by only eating what you burn from workouts. You may not see it now, but the long term side effects can be extremely bad.

see my edit above.
    i have talked to my doctor and he supports me in this so I am going to go with his professional opinion on this, no offence

i only fuel my workouts because that is all i do in a day besides walk to the bathroom or the fridge for water. I literally sit ALL day and type or lie on the couch and play vid games with my friend who tests them. So all the fuel i need is for my workouts.

In...

...to see where this goes...

...because either your doctor misunderstood what you are doing or he is an idiot (in my not-a-medical-doctor opinion, of course).

ETA: Oh, and OP, trust the system. Don't second guess the numbers before you try them. Follow the plan for six weeks and *then* reevaluate/question the system.

Haha, you're 'in' and I basically decided to check myself 'out'. I mean. What can be said, really? Far be it for me, again a non-expert, to argue with a dietitian.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Please do not post this extremely dangerous and borderline insane opinion as "fact". What you have posted isn't even close to fact and is a terrible thing to promote. Netting zero calories a day for any decent length of time is going to result in some serious health problems long-term. I bet you will be losing your hair inside of a month. Talk to someone that knows what they're doing instead of spreading misinformation around on these forums - PLEASE.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    try it and see what happens . i personally got really good results with fat loss with i did TDEE - 15%.

and dont think of the number as either high or low. it's a number. your body needs what it needs.

if you arent 100% certain of what your TDEE is , then that number is as good as any to start with.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    65wVv3H.gif
    5sHZiC7.gif
  • EmmaB332
    EmmaB332 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Ok straight to the point, I calculated my TDEE and subtracted 20%. But it still seems kinda high and I'm trying to lose weight. Here it is:

Female 32 years old
    "5.0"
    190lbs and I exercise about 5-6 days a week

TDEE: 2492 minus 20%= 1993

I'm staying around 1300 calories per day, is that too low? If so.......Now what?!?!!???!!??

First of all, your baby is adorable. Second, the amount you exercise is awesome, great job! Third, what you actually asked about... I would recommend that you up your calories a bit. With the amount of activity you do (and given your profile picture you might be breast feeding which also increased your caloric expenditure a bit), you need more than 1300 calories a day. If you're not comfortable with the 1993, maybe set your calorie goal as a range, say 1600-1900. I try to eat 1200-1500 a day, MFP tells me 1200 and 1500 is my TDEE - 20% as it is working out well for me. Here's a post with a lot of info which may help: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    You need calories for other things too. Such as brain function. Or...
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    so if i'm stalled eating 1800 when my BMR is 1690, i'm 5 foot 8/9 and 90 kg/200 lb, with TDEE of 2300-2600 I should be eating over 2000?

I lost consistently at what i was eating (1800) and i dunno if my stall is medicine related or a plateau!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    so if i'm stalled eating 1800 when my BMR is 1690, i'm 5 foot 8/9 and 90 kg/200 lb, with TDEE of 2300-2600 I should be eating over 2000?

I lost consistently at what i was eating (1800) and i dunno if my stall is medicine related or a plateau!

Have you recalculated your numbers? If so, I'd think at least part of the problem might be the medication.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

Have you recalculated your numbers? If so, I'd think at least part of the problem might be the medication.

yep i've recalculated, i eat well and balanced, i work out 4-6 days a week (and good workouts, i coach netball and get in there with them plus gym, walk, bike) and everything was going swimmingly but now bam. my cals is set at the lower TDEE - 20% ish and it was working so well. but my digestion is screwed atm, i don't think i'm processing, and i'm loathe to raise calories when my thyroids iffy!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    You need calories for other things too. Such as brain function. Or...

Or perhaps they don't. If they don't know that brain functions consume up to 30% of your energy needs, they may have lower energy requirements than you or I.