10 Words You Need to Stop Misspelling

Options
13»

Replies

• rskidmore
    rskidmore Posts: 212
    Options
    Spelling and grammatical errors drive me nuts!
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i have to admit i struggle as to when you use 'used to and use to'---i even teach grammar and i always forget the form once i have finished the lesson!!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    So nobody likes txt spk thn, apparently it's the in fing :laugh:
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    So nobody likes txt spk thn, apparently it's the in fing :laugh:

Ahhhh!!! My eyes are burning! :laugh:

Some of my friend type like they would for essays when they text. Some of them txt lyk dis cuz its ez-er. Personally, I won't capitalize my "i" if I'm in a rush- and I've even been known to use the occasional "u" instead of "you." (But only when I'm, like, 3 characters over and don't want my text to be split into 2 pages.
  • skysilver
    skysilver Posts: 73
    Options
    I lived in Germany for 18 years -half of my life so I use that as an excuse. If I am tired which is like forever, I misspell an awful lot. The thing is life is an amazing place and my thoughts are with words written or spoken and not the grammer or spelling. Too much to think about do you not agree??
  • stephflo33
    stephflo33 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The Thornton's gas station by my house has a sign posted that reads: "Now Excepting Applications." I really hope they are looking to replace the sign guy. :laugh:
  • johnsoag
    johnsoag Posts: 59
    Options
    hahahahahahaha. I love this. My english professor and I used to discuss things like this on a regular basis.
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    your when it should be you're. Your not getting any smarter! It's you're not getting any smarter!
  • dmvbnoslo
    dmvbnoslo Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Not that I misspell it, but I still think "Colonel" is one of the lamest words in the English language...
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Another common mistake I see: People sometimes write "should of" instead of "should have."

That said, I don't get annoyed when I see any of these errors on MFP. I do get annoyed when I see them on communications my kids have brought home from school. It's no wonder everyday people get confused when so many teachers and school administrators don't have a grasp of how to properly use the English language.

Several of my teachers in high school had me proofread and correct the letters THEY wrote as scholarship/college recommendation letters. (I also get "corrections" from my supervisor at work that request I use incorrect grammar to replace my correct usage)

(And, yes, so many of these drive me crazy as well. Especially their/they're/there and lose/loose)
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    My most recent annoyance is a girl I know in my neighborhood messages me on facebook occasionally and she always uses "are" for "our." For example: "We should take are kids to the pool." *CRINGE!*