Iron Man 3

Options
soldier4242
soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
I think Iron Man 3 was made by people who hate Iron Man. If you hate Iron Man and you think he is a total screw up then perhaps Iron Man 3 is the movie for you. If you happen to like Iron Man and you went to see this movie then like myself you were probably furious by the time you left the theater.

In the first scene you see Tony Stark taking part in a test which goes completely horrible. The scene is almost humorous because at this point in the movie you don't know that this is actually the theme that the rest of the film is about to follow. The vast majority of the movie is depicting Iron Man suits not working or not working properly. You actually see Iron Man spending most of his time not in his suit. Even when he is in his suit he is so ineffective he normally just hops right back out of it again or he is ripped out it by force. The villains are somehow stronger than Iron Man without any mechanical assistance. This movie was a slap in the face and a spit in the eye of all Iron Man fans everywhere.

I was really hoping that they had learned their lessons from Iron Man 2 and they were going to go back to the ideas that were working for them in Iron Man 1. But no, I am not sure how they did it but somehow they managed to make an Iron Man movie that was actually worse than Iron Man 2. I really wish I could have gotten my money back so that I would not be contributing to its box office take but my mistake cannot be undone. The only thing I can hope to do is spare others the same fate.

If you were thinking about going to see this moving please don't. Save your money. Use the time to get in another workout.

Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the spoiler alert..............:explode: :mad:
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Spoiler alert

couldn't agree with you more friend not only did they smear iron man's dignity with all the broken equipment/tom foolery please don't see this if you have any respect for the villain Mandarin, they completely ruined one of the most powerful villains in the marvel world. If your a comic fan at all this movie is gonna poo in the face of the story you already fell in love with. I was so excited to see the magic vs machine that the two play off each other but instead your completely let down with a "surprise twist"..... story was bad, comedy they tried too hard, only good thing about this movie were great effects in the small amount of decent action that is shown. total waste of money and time
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Oh I didn't think it was THAT bad. But I must agree that I like my Tony Stark a little bit more like Tony Stark. All this humility and angst isn't the over the top man I adore...though I suppose it does make him a little more real life and human.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Overall I found it to be an enjoyable movie. I actually liked it better than the 2nd movie, which was very dull at times. There was one aspect of Tony's personality in Iron Man 3 that I just didn't think was believable. I thought the problems with the suit were not unusual. All of the movies have poked a bit of fun at how even a genius can have problems.

Now what is the scoop on the Avengers 2 movie???? :smile:
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Thanks for the spoiler alert..............:explode: :mad:

I am actually so against the idea of spoiling movies that I would like to formally apologize. I am just so pissed off by the horribleness of this movie that I wasn't thinking clearly. I did leave my descriptions vague enough that I don't think it could be said I have ruined the movie for anyone but rest assured this movie was ruined for you by the writers long before any of us ever had a chance.

SPOILER ALERT: If you are a long time fan of Iron Man this won't be a surprise to you.
    @Synthomarsh

You hit the nail right on the head. Through the interaction between the Mandarin and Iron Man we get to take a step in to Metaphysics and the concept of good vs evil from a unique perspective. I say unique because technology is so often give the roll of evil while magic is given the roll of good. Iron man was a demonstration of technology employed for good while the Mandarin is an example of magic used for evil. This juxtaposition gave their arguments a potent new light because it put the power of good firmly on the shoulders of real people. It is the person that determines whether or not to choose good or evil and not the resources at their employ.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Overall I found it to be an enjoyable movie. I actually liked it better than the 2nd movie, which was very dull at times. There was one aspect of Tony's personality in Iron Man 3 that I just didn't think was believable. I thought the problems with the suit were not unusual. All of the movies have poked a bit of fun at how even a genius can have problems.

Now what is the scoop on the Avengers 2 movie???? :smile:

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT: I AM GOING TO BE REVEALING PLOT SPECIFIC TO THE MOVIE DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE.

Problems with the suit are an issue that has been in the Iron Man story since the beginning. It wasn't just that the suit had problems. It was that the suit rarely ever worked. It was that Iron Man wasn't even Iron Man in this one. He was completely out matched by the villain to the point where Pipper had to actually deal with the main villain for him and she did it thanks to powers given to her by the villain. Then in a symbolic gesture designed to urinate all of anyone who happens to be a fan of Iron Man Tony Stark blows up all of his suits as a way of telling the audience. "Destroying Iron Man was our goal with this movie in every sense of the word."

They never explain anything about how the villains powers worked. Why they were so bloody strong. Why they were exploding. Why were they able to heat metal till it melted. They also didn't explain how Tony managed to fix Pipper they just said that he did it off camera. They took out the arc reactor in his chest and just in case blowing up all the iron man suits he created wasn't enough they have him throw it in to the ocean.
  • Power_Man77
    Power_Man77 Posts: 207
    Options
    bump
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Oh I didn't think it was THAT bad. But I must agree that I like my Tony Stark a little bit more like Tony Stark. All this humility and angst isn't the over the top man I adore...though I suppose it does make him a little more real life and human.

I haven't really criticized this aspect of the story either because I am a bit torn. It is fitting with the theme that Iron Man is a weakling that they seemed to be trying to push and I am not a fan of that but of all the things that they put in the film this one is probably the most understandable.

Iron Man isn't feeling inadequate compared to other men. He has fought with gods and aliens. It is completely understandable that he would be affected by that experience. I think it would have been equally understandable if they had him continue to be himself since armed with his suit he was able to hold its own against everything. He was an instrumental part of the team on the avengers and if anything he proved that his arrogance could be deserved confidence. He stood shoulder to shoulder with Thor, Hulk, Captain America and he still came out looking like he belonged. If the rest of the movie had been quality I might be counting this as a brave and artistic direction to take the character. To show that this genius, billionaire, play boy, philanthropist is also a human.

The thing is the rest of the movie did suck so I think it is more likely that this was just an effort to smear him.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    SPOILER ALERT;

I thought that there were gaps, especially about the villains, but I felt that the reason that none of the suits were working for him was because he was suffering from PTSD and was just frantically throwing his energy into trying to develop a suit that would be god-like, and of course, failing.

I loved the little boy and how it ended for him. I really thought that they were going to establish the boy as a product of that one night fling.

What I got out of it was that Tony Stark finally realized that anyone in the suit can be Ironman, but no one else can be Tony Stark. He also realized that using wit and unkindness to crush a person's passion can change a person from one who is driven, to one who is driven to revenge. His embrace of the boy's genius was proof that he had learned that and maybe some humility, too, since he signed his gift not TONY STARK, but simply the mechanic.

My husband did not see that Tony's leaving the botanist without a word was just as traumatizing to her as leaving the other guy on the roof had been. But then, he's got an emotional filter a mile thick.
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I liked the movie but more because Robert Downie Jr carried it with his chrism.

Can someone tell me how the suits kept running out of battery power when they are supposed to be powered by the arc reactor in his chest?
  • MaepleT95
    MaepleT95 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Um I haven't seen the movie yet,(so I didn't read the whole thing, that way it didn't spoil it for me) but I want to point out it's directed(or something like that) by a different person, Jon Favreau did the first two Iron Man movies.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I liked the movie but more because Robert Downie Jr carried it with his chrism.

Can someone tell me how the suits kept running out of battery power when they are supposed to be powered by the arc reactor in his chest?

Powering Iron Man's suit has been a long running staple of the Iron Man franchise. In the comics his suit has been able to charge using chemical reactions, solar power and in one comic he actually charged his suit using sound believe it or not. There were occasions where the suit would be taxed to the point where he would need a bit of time to recharge it but this was always a result of something very big and the recharge time was never that long.

There is literally no reason that all of his suits would not be working. The arc reactor in his chest was supposed to be able to power them. This is just another inexcusable plot hole that is never explained.

EDIT: I will point out that I attribute the flaws in this horrible movie to the writing and the direction. I felt that the actors themselves really went down swinging. Robert Downing Jr. really did try to make his character work in every scene it is just that he was given a square peg and told to fit it in to a round hole. Really this just goes to show that even if your actor try their very best and they have the talent the product can still be crap if the writers and the director are on a mission to destroy the nostalgic childhood memories of their audience.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I just saw it last night so no spoiler alert for me :tongue:

I will say that I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I didn't go in there with high expectations. I thought much of the move was pretty comical. I'd love to say more detail of what I think, but too many people haven't seen it and there's no function to hide spoilers on here, so I'll refrain.

If you're an Ironman fan you will go see it anyway and not because some disappointed fan told you not too :noway:
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I just saw it last night so no spoiler alert for me :tongue:

I will say that I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I didn't go in there with high expectations. I thought much of the move was pretty comical. I'd love to say more detail of what I think, but too many people haven't seen it and there's no function to hide spoilers on here, so I'll refrain.

If you're an Ironman fan you will go see it anyway and not because some disappointed fan told you not too :noway:

I guess you are correct. If someone told me it was horrible I would have still gone to see for myself. I guess the movie makers know that as well. They can just take the name of one of my childhood heroes and slap it on to a movie and I will go and see it for the pure nostalgia of it all. They managed to get my money so I guess they were successful.
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I loved it!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    This makes me sad. I was really looking forward to it. I hated the second movie and if this one is anything like it... bummer. I'll still go because I'll go see every Marvel film. I'm a nerd that way.
  • addreonnaseger
    Options
    ***Spoilers & Junk***

I quite enjoyed it. But then again, I haven't been an Iron Man comic book reader. The problems that he had seemed legit enough. It followed the aftershock for him of being a part of The Avengers. He was trying to figure everything out and just freaking out about everything. Seems like PTSD for Mr. Stark.

But it did seem real and it did have a good story to it. The comedy was timed very well and the plot didn't collapse on itself. Being different (I assume) from the comic is not an issue for me. Too many of my favorite books get turned into movies and I've just gotten used to the fact that things in books and comics and Graphic Novels will NEVER be as good or even the same. Some examples of this are Interview With a Vampire or The Crow or The Hunger Games or even these Dark Knight movies (omg--NOW THOSE...those pissed me off. Can we not even get an accurate TIME LINE?!)

Nevertheless, Stan Lee, I believe, must have a lot to do with these movies so if that's true then he signed off on this movie and if it's good enough for Stan, it's good enough for me.

But the ABSOLUTE best part of this movie is AFTER the credits and I feel SO sorry for anyone who didn't stay to see it. Let's just say: TANNER FEELLSSSS.
  • addreonnaseger
    Options
    I loved it!

Yes. Same. Good good. xD
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The MK42 suit was a prototype, that's why it didn't work. I love Iron Man and Marvel and I thought they did a great job with the characters, at first I was pissed about the Mandarin but then I changed my mind because they did such a good job at misdirecting the audience and I wasn't expecting the scene with Tony and Trevor! The Mandarin didn't have to look like we expected. The other guy was THE Mandarin in the end, no rings but what can you do!?

The movie was awesome and a perfect follow up to Avengers IMO, Tony Stark IS Iron Man so saying you didn't see him a lot makes me realize you missed the point...

I also never understand why people complain about things being changed when it gets adapted to a movie, I just view it as a different universe just like Ultimate Spider-Man and all the other versions...

I was just looking at Soldier4242's replies and you say the suits didn't work? What are you talking about? Iron Patriot and the other suits all kicked *kitten*!? Only MK42 was having issues? The other suits were buried in the rubble of the house until Jarvis informs Tony that the cranes had arrived and started working on the house?
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    damn, I didn't stay for all the credits...<bangs head against a wall>

tumblr_lw3u42TcMx1r3ovdbo1_400.gif