dork
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    The ending and a main villian twist seemed very poor
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I think Iron Man was out of his suit most of the movie so we could admire Robert Downey Jr. It was a successful ploy. Frankly I didn't care what the plot was. :blushing:
  • swimmer_chick
    swimmer_chick Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think Iron Man was out of his suit most of the movie so we could admire Robert Downey Jr. It was a successful ploy. Frankly I didn't care what the plot was. :blushing:

Haha! :heart:
    I don't know why I read some of these when I haven't even seen it myself yet D:
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I think you missed the point. We've already seen him be invincible. He's already proven his genius, his bravery, everything. This movie didn't give as a boring repeat, it gave us something new. It gave us the human Tony Stark, the man suffering from some PTSD, yet STILL going it alone to save people.

The movie also returned us to his begginings, when he was just a mechanic using his intellect and the resources he had to save his own life. The suit did not serve as a magic bullet. He went back to basics, and proved that he's still the man he always was, and it's his INGENUITY, not his SUIT, that makes him Iron Man.

^^This.
  • ScottRy76
    ScottRy76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ya didnt miss much, Just Stark and Banner pretty lame, much like the rest of the movie. It was like watching Spiderman 3 all over again where Tobey had to show his ugly mug most of the movie instead of have the damn mask on. Here it was like Stark had one boot and one glove through most of the movie ugh

(and no setup to Avengers 2)
    But then again how can you set a movie up with Downey jr is getting paid far more then his co-stars, in the millions where the rest of the Avengers are getting 200,000 and threatening to not do the movie. Marvel is considering recasting almost all the Avengers, if that happens Batman anyone?
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

Right there with you.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Whenever I watch movies based on pre-existing material, I tend to look at it in two ways.

1) Is the movie true to it's material ?
    2) Did the movie entertain ?

While I haven't read the comics, I know it did not meet #1. I can see how it's disappointing - as disappointment is based on expectation. If you have no expectation, you won't be disappointed. But I see why people disliked it.

#2 - At one point, I thought to myself "would this be more entertaining if Iron Man didn't find a way to get out of every corner he is backed into?". My answer was no. I switched off my brain and I enjoyed the movie. I was thoroughly entertained.

Ok any movie where you have to switch off your brain to enjoy is a horrible movie. A movie does not have to be full of plot holes to entertain. It isn't a case of one verse the other.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I think you missed the point. We've already seen him be invincible. He's already proven his genius, his bravery, everything. This movie didn't give as a boring repeat, it gave us something new. It gave us the human Tony Stark, the man suffering from some PTSD, yet STILL going it alone to save people.

The movie also returned us to his begginings, when he was just a mechanic using his intellect and the resources he had to save his own life. The suit did not serve as a magic bullet. He went back to basics, and proved that he's still the man he always was, and it's his INGENUITY, not his SUIT, that makes him Iron Man.

^^This.

I am shocked by this comment on so many levels. I know the person that made this comment is intelligent but I can't agree on this one at all. Not only do I think you are wrong on this one I think you are so wrong that I am equally shocked that someone agreed with you.

We have seen Tony Stark the man. The one strength that all thee movies share is Robert Downey Jr. and he has done a fantastic job of making both sides of his character come through.

If you like the idea of Tony Stark doing the work outside the suit that is fine it even happened in the comics and I like that too. The thing is in the past his suit was always incapacitated by things outside of his control. They never just had him design a new one that did work and then use that in real combat.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I also thing that the problem is that this is a Disney film.

And I think that the film makers made more of a mess with The Hobbit than Disney did with Iron Man 3
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I didn't like Iron Man 3 either, in particular the ending, blowing up the Iron Man suits. All that work to create a fireworks show?
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    It wasn't that bad. I liked it better than Iron Man 2. Plus, this villain was supposed to be the villain in Iron Man 1. They really wanted to get him in this one, that they kind of rushed the plot it seems. But I'm not mad about it. It was entertaining and am fine with it.

1 and 1/2 thumbs up.
  • addreonnaseger
    Options
    Ya didnt miss much, Just Stark and Banner pretty lame, much like the rest of the movie. It was like watching Spiderman 3 all over again where Tobey had to show his ugly mug most of the movie instead of have the damn mask on. Here it was like Stark had one boot and one glove through most of the movie ugh

(and no setup to Avengers 2)
    But then again how can you set a movie up with Downey jr is getting paid far more then his co-stars, in the millions where the rest of the Avengers are getting 200,000 and threatening to not do the movie. Marvel is considering recasting almost all the Avengers, if that happens Batman anyone?

Whatchu mean "just Stark and Banner?!?! PRETTY LAME?! Nope. I will go down with this ship.

No set-up for the Avengers? That's Marvel's fault.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=79087
    "However, rather than turning on Downey Jr., the cast of the superhero ensemble are said to be, "united behind Robert Downey Jr who is seen as the "leader" – like "a big brother" in the words of one rep - for all the younger actors in the ensemble. "He’s the only guy with real power in this situation. and balls of steel, too. He’s already sent a message that he’s not going to work for a place where they treat his colleagues like ****."
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I argued with a good friend of mine (die hard fan) and he loved the movie.

I told him I just wasn't sure I felt like the movie could've been done better. Not saying that the entire thing is rubbish but I can't get over how squishy the suits were and also what they did to the Mandarin.

I liked the idea of showing Tony Stark because he is Iron Man not the suits. I liked the idea of having him fall from grace.

The things I didn't like are
    1.) Again Mandarin
    2.) Squishy Suits (even if he's cranking out a dozen a night and dealing with stress he still has the suits from before that weren't squishy)
    3.) Inconsistency with suits (a house falls on him he's ok yet a truck hit its and it falls apart?)
    4.) The fact that a botanist (ok whatever her title was) saw the missile before Jarvis?
    5.) The ending (keep forgetting to watch after the credits need to staple a reminder on my forehead)
    6.) All those machines destroyed within 5 minutes and honestly you didn't get to see any of them shine. Hulk Buster had 5 seconds worth of airtime if that.

Things that were good
    1.) Actors/Actresses played their parts very well
    2.) Human aspect of Tony
    3.) Idea of the story being genetics and giving human's powers

As other's have mentioned I just think they had a lot of lost opportunities where this movie could have easily been the best out of the entire Marvel franchise.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Well you are a lot more forgiving then I am and even in your assessment there is a lot more wrong with it than right with it. I think that they should have just committed to an angle done it really well. That is what they did in the first Iron Man movie and it worked out really well. Iron Man 3 wanted to do everything and it just bit off more than it could chew.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Screw you guys, I thought it was AWESOME. And I've read the first few years of Iron Man. He *was* a total frak-up.

If anything, the only change I would make is to have it be a literal page-to-screen adaptation of Warren Ellis' EXTREMIS book.
  • Power_Man77
    Power_Man77 Posts: 207
    Options

^^This.

Agree

I was more upset that A.I.M was in the film but no M.O.D.O.K or even a mention or hint. But with that being said they had to bring it down some, so that they can build it up for Avengers 2. I hope Black Panther shows up. They gave a hint at the end of Iron Man 2
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Talked to someone at work and we both agreed that it would had been a better movie if Mandarin came in with his magic and defeated Tony Stark. Blew up the house,etc,etc possibly even took Pepper. Tony's machines would be useless against the magic he would stress freak out, go on a journey and find his spirit animal. With his spirit animal he would defeat Mandarin without the use of a suit but by using his intelligence.

When I say spirit animal I'm just referring to the journey not really a spirit animal....
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Screw you guys, I thought it was AWESOME. And I've read the first few years of Iron Man. He *was* a total frak-up.

If anything, the only change I would make is to have it be a literal page-to-screen adaptation of Warren Ellis' EXTREMIS book.

I guess this sort of proves my point. If you think Iron Man is a total screw up then you are going to like this movie.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m4qffwnOsy1rwcc6bo1_250.gif